HybridZ

My car is finally back on the road!

EMWHYR0HEN

Guys, thanks alot I really appreciate it.

I couldn't find that s30 weight thread but the parts that were heavy hitters in my previous setup was the dash, 6-point roll cage, brakes, exhaust, wiring and electrical (yes wiring, you laugh but that sh*t is heavy!) and the interior.

I'm still surprised with my new weight becuase If I think of all the peices I added to strengthen the chassis it would add up to approximatly 105 LBS.

It just goes to show you that every little bit counts when your trying to shed some weight. My advise is to always think positive because I can't even remember how many time people have said "whyd you remove that, it weighs like nothing"

I practically had my entire car appart during my restoration and everytime I saw a bracket, cover, bolt, clamp, or anything I absolutly knew I didn't need anymore I didn't hesistate to get rid of it. It's an entire game within itself but, what a great feeling it is in the end!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myron. You deserve the praise. Your car is extremely nice. Thanks for sharing your car with us all. Its projects like these that keep me focused and motivated to get my Z project finished. Keep up the good work and keep us drooling with the pics!

Julius

Just out of curiosity, where do you plan to track the car? There really are not a lot of places for us to go in so-cal.

RE

That maybe is the case for you in San Diego but, here in the LA area we've got Willow Springs Raceway which includes WSIR, horse theif mile, and the Streets, then you have a few different configurations at Button Willow raceway and the same for California Speedway. On top of that there are plenty of solo events all over here.

Can you elaborate on that?

I am guessing he is talking about the weight of the wheels. Since they are a less expensive wheel they are not light. It is an issue for all out racing, but for someone on a budget and doing track days, I see nothing wrong with them. They give you more contact area for a decent price.

I am guessing he is talking about the weight of the wheels. Since they are a less expensive wheel they are not light. It is an issue for all out racing, but for someone on a budget and doing track days, I see nothing wrong with them. They give you more contact area for a decent price.

Yeah, Pete. I'm not a racer so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but for a lightweight z wouldn't you want the smallest wheels that fit over your brakes? Less rotational inertia, unsprung weight, ect.

I'm not trying to be an ass, your car looks amazing. I can only hope mine looks as good someday.

My new wheel/tire combo weighs 43 LBS and my old wheel/tire combo(14x 7 Watanabe) was 32 LBS. So that's 11 more pounds on each corner and 44 total.

So with the 11 LBS more on each corner I get:

1. more tire selection

2. a 255mm width tire

3. more bump travel

Your right about the unsprung weight and all but theres a price to pay for lightweight 3-peice wheels. In my situation, I'll take the Rotas along with the 43 lbs on each corner because there's better things for me to spend my money on..... like seat time.

Regardless of wheel weight, the entire car lost 240 LBS and got hell of a lot stiffer, wider, and adjustable.

Guest airfron

so there's no passenger seat to give me a ride in... oh well i'll just have to take it by my lonesome :x

Looks great Myron!

Just an update on the cars performance for those of you who are interested on the changes iv'e made:

The SFC are a day and night difference. NONE of the body lines move when I jack the car and I can open and close my doors like it's sitting on all fours. Also, It's really convienient to have a strong place to jack the car in the center and somewhere to place jack stands under. The same thing goes for the front end It's basically bullet proof.

Now that my alignment is set to where I want it here are my impressions on how the car drives:

I could tell immdiatly how flat the car stays from corner enrty to exit. When corneriing at moderate to high speeds It almost feels as if the cars not even turning! holding speed through corners feels much more predictable and easy to correct without shifting so much weight. It has a great feeling now as if it begs for more speed through turns.

Even driving around the city was different. The only remaining rubber components left in my suspension are the sway bar end lnks and the bushings that hold the bars. I was expectng a harsh ride but, It actually rides a little smoother. It's as if the suspension is absorbing the shock and loads instead of transfering it to the chassis... like it's supost to!

The welded diff.... I cant say yet. Maybe a bit too dangerous to get crazy on the street with it. I can say that is understeers bad in slow (20-25 MPH) turns only because your off the throttle. The car becomes more lively at speed and throttle induced oversteer comes into play. It's really making me change my drivimg style. I guess i'll have to wait for my next track day to find out if it works.

Lastly the brakes feel good especially the modulation. However, the fronts lock way too soon even with the proportioning valve alll the way open. Back to the drawing board....

Ohh and the side exhaust thing is ear peircing loud. I don't recomend it.

Guest 280ZForce

The Z looks awesome Myron!

You still think my suspension is more stiff than yours?

Keep up the good work and stop by and help out on mine whenever you can... we need to do another canyon run, both our Zs are entirely different now, should be a lot more interesting on how we drive them.

:cheers:

The Z looks awesome Myron!

You still think my suspension is more stiff than yours?

Keep up the good work and stop by and help out on mine whenever you can... we need to do another canyon run, both our Zs are entirely different now, should be a lot more interesting on how we drive them.

:cheers:

I've eliminated most of the bushings and replaced them with metal heim joints. On top of that i'm running 300 Fr & 325 Rr springs. Arent you using all the stock rubber bushings? you do the math...

This made all the difference though.

IMG_00171.JPG

We should set up a socal track day in the fall. I know SR240Z would be interested as well.

• 3 weeks later...

What metal stock did you use for your spreader plates? I'm thinking of trying to add some structural pieces much like yours and am wondering what is the best course of action. I currently have some 1.5 .120 DOM sitting around just itching to go to good use ...

Also, how are you mounting your radiator now? Any other pics? :hijack:

I've eliminated most of the bushings and replaced them with metal heim joints. On top of that i'm running 300 Fr & 325 Rr springs. Arent you using all the stock rubber bushings? you do the math...

This made all the difference though.

IMG_00171.JPG

We should set up a socal track day in the fall. I know SR240Z would be interested as well.