HybridZ

Racer Brown Cam # 's meaning?

madkaw

First thing i know is incorrect. The Racer Brown cam is not a regrind cam. They bought unground cams from Nissan to get their billet stock. So in answer to your question, that cam along with a stock Nissan cam is the best part to regrind. The difference is in the heat treating of the billet. Nissan made the best stick out there. I wont even comment on Schnider.

Next thing, the cam duration will determine how responsive the cam is going to be. GENERALLY! for the street you want a cam with a realitively short duration, and high lift. This will limit the redline of the cam. The lobe centers will also affect how responsive the car will be. Your cam is bumped up to 110 lobe centers, from stock of 109 lobe centers. A little more improvement there. I would also encourage you to read the WHOLE article from Racer Brown. ALL of the information there will affect the power, power curve, maximum rpm ranges and torque peek.

There seems like alot of information but to build the correct application of the L28 you will want to think long and hard on this topic. Myself for example, I have yada yada yada on my car, but I cant run on strait 87 octane fuel from the pump without it pinging above 3-5 psi of boost.

The cam is conservative, meaning it will redline at 7K power will start to fall off about 5500 or so and be very peppy off the line for the car.

Fortunately, Ron Iskiderian is still around to ask some questions. Believe me he really knows his pop on L cams. You don't hear to much about him though, which is surprising to me. Schnider? not even close to Isky.

So like Tony said, this is not new stuff, and I have said the same thing, I am not developing new yada yada yada, but rather relearning what has already been learned, it's just information that has been lost.

I don't want an arguement, or am I intending to start one, but these are the facts. Racer Brown did do significant work on the L cam, in fact, the first cams that came out of Isky were ground incorrectly by Rons uncle at the time, he was playing war. So he had to literally model a cam to get the data he needed to properly grind the cam, because Nissan sure was not going to give up any information, not even for the race team that was running their car. That much I know to be fact as well, so in reality, you are short on expertise for a good Nissan L cam. There are a number of people who think they understand cam dynamics and what makes a good cam, but in reality, they know little and use the knowledge base of others that know how to grind an L cam.

I kinda like the old nostalgic components for my car, and I would regrind that cam in a heart beat if I needed it.

First thing i know is incorrect. The Racer Brown cam is not a regrind cam. They bought unground cams from Nissan to get their billet stock. So in answer to your question, that cam along with a stock Nissan cam is the best part to regrind.

I stand corrected.

JeffP,

thanks for the input, I have changed my mind about keeping this cam. It would be ideal for a regrind , if and when. The article that Zcarnut put up here on this thread is fantastic. I wish I had this article when I degreed my cam. In fact, I think I will take this article and re degree my cam with a better understanding. First I will reread this article a couple more times to hope to digest a greater % of it. The article help explain the single valve spring and the colored spring retainers-a unigue aspect of Racer Brown. I feel like I found a real treasure since the cam looks like new. Now back to studying the article -I wish I was a real mechanic:grin:

A FYI note. When Racer Brown ground my cam it was made to be used with the Chevy Luv rocker arms only. He talked me into it at the time but I no longer remember the details. I thought he reground my own cam but Jon M says he did not do that. I cannot find my origional cam so its hard to say if it is indeed a new cam or my own. Too much time has passed.

The main point is if you were to find an old RB cam, there are no markings to say it was ground for either Nissan rocker arms or Luv truck rocker arms.

I didn't see any reference to such rockers in the article. There were two different types that had different lash pad surfaces if that is what you are talking about. I have the complete set-up with rockers springs and everything so as long as I keep them together I should be alright.

• 10 months later...

I have a similar problem. My stroker came with a Malvern Racing cam, but the PO had no paperwork with specs. He said he asked Malvern for, " A decent street cam for a stroker with triples". Not exactly specific. It does not seem too rowdy, but just wondering if I should re-use it come rebuild time as I have the big Schneider cam sitting around.

With the death of the owner, Malvern disappeared. For a short bit I was able to find cached versions of the webpages, but nothing of use and they are gone now. Does anyone have a price list, parts list, copy of their website, old cam card... anything?

I can pull the valve cover again and get the part number (I lost the post it).