HybridZ

Project 240Z Turbo ITB Install

S30TRBO

• 2 months later...

The only think to note if you are using a stock Nissan Fuel Pump is the internal relief will start lifting and seriously decrease flow with 60psi at the pump. That would likely result in 55 or less psi available at the engine, possibly less depending on flow usage.

I could see 45psi (3 Bar) on a stock Nissan Pump, but 60 is just going to cause problems.

Especially given the fact that 440CC/Min Supra Injectors will run fine in N/A applications on the SDS's resolution at idle.

Idle is not really that much an issue, really. Like someone posted, even in an N/A application at peak torque (say around 4500 for grabbing a number out of my butt) 25# injectors are at nearly 100% duty cycle to supply adequate fuel. You have a cam, and it is going to want fuel at the torque plateau.

As an example of what I have a 160CC/min injector in: 1641CC Vw Bug Engine with Engle 110Cam, making around 58HP to the Rear Wheels. It works nicely in that engine.

I'd say the 16# for a cammed engine is far undersized, the minimum I would go (and what I put in most anything I do with a Megasquirt) is the Turbo 25# (270cc/Min) injectors. For a bone stock L28 a 16# might work, but playing around with fuel pressure just adds to issues down the road.

I wouldn't hesitate to run the 42# units. For the Turbo install 550's would work, but I'd see where the idle quality goes and what pulsewidth you are running to judge if the 550's would be applicable straight out the box. They might, but you have to see where you are with the 42' first.

It's more than size, as well. What type of spray or pintile configuration you hvae can affect your idle as much as the size of the injector.

JeffP had a terrible time with one configuration of 650cc/min injectors getting a decent idle. Swapped over to another configuration (I think he went away from the ring/disc style) at 720CC/min and it idled MUCH better as the injector was controlling the fuel much more efficiently.

So in that case, a larger injector worked better than a differently configured smaller injector.

But to me, even for a stock motor, 14 or 16# is marginal, there is no room for growth there. I think under the torque peak, you will run out of fuel.

I'm not a big fan of jacking the fuel pressure when you can properly size the injectors in the first place.

JeffP had a terrible time with one configuration of 650cc/min injectors getting a decent idle. Swapped over to another configuration (I think he went away from the ring/disc style) at 720CC/min and it idled MUCH better as the injector was controlling the fuel much more efficiently.

Tony, are the new 720cc/min injectors that Jeff is using a low impedance peak/hold pintle style?

See here for reference: http://sdsefi.com/injectors.htm

ITB for now to put some more miles on the turbo motor. I already have a custom turbo exhaust manifold. I need to decided on what intake manifold to go with i.e. N42 non EGR, custom Blake Machine jobber, stock TB, TWM, Q45. I just want to get the bugs worked out of the ITB as they will go on the 810 soon.

Joe, Very nice build going.

I'm not knocking your decision or your 810 needs, but why would step back and use a stock N42 (or modified) instead of building a plenum for the ITB setup you have to use with the Turbo conversion?

Tony, are the new 720cc/min injectors that Jeff is using a low impedance peak/hold pintle style?

Not sure on impedance, but suspect they are low-z and they are definately pintle style. I think he refers to them a 'pintacle style'...some testicular reference or something...:D

They are most definately not the disc style three-holers someone said would work the best for him... He may have photos on his site.

The only think to note if you are using a stock Nissan Fuel Pump is the internal relief will start lifting and seriously decrease flow with 60psi at the pump.

I am using a Walbro 255 inline fuel pump not a Nissan if it will make a difference.

I have the 14lbs installed now and 42lb green top pintle too. I do have 550cc NISMO injectors but they are OEM barb slip on style. Worst case I can have Kevin build me a barb style fuel rail if it comes to that.

Thanks Tony for the mouthful very insightful as I am a newbie to EFI conversions and tuning EFI for that matter :)

Joe, Very nice build going.

I'm not knocking your decision or your 810 needs, but why would step back and use a stock N42 (or modified) instead of building a plenum for the ITB setup you have to use with the Turbo conversion?

Jeff,

Using a stock or a modified N42 non EGR will probably be my last choice among all others. I am using my Z to dial in the ITB's and to allow more time to work things out so I do the final stage of the turbo conversion correct. I am a lefty and tend to over analyze things because I like to research and learn from others mistakes so I do it right and not play the what if game.

Wow Joe, you are making some great progress, the Accurate Injection ITBs look dead sexxxy...wow, tempting...very tempting!! Your car is going to be brutally quick! Keep the updates coming, I am flying your flag over here bro!

Regards -

Yasin

Thanks my Brother. Fly it high baby!!!

Jeff,

Using a stock or a modified N42 non EGR will probably be my last choice among all others. I am using my Z to dial in the ITB's and to allow more time to work things out so I do the final stage of the turbo conversion correct. I am a lefty and tend to over analyze things because I like to research and learn from others mistakes so I do it right and not play the what if game.

I'm with you! I've got pile of parts and still compiling. I think i'm even going to get it running on stand first before I even try to install.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a short weekend I managed to make more progress.

I was tired of looking at 10 pounds of Ziebart on my gas tank straps since the tank had to come out AGAIN to have an engine ground installed. I already have a chassis ground and the second one was recommended to ground to the motor. Thanks Pete!

37 years of Ziebart, Yes it's on the rest of the Z too:

DSCF0393.jpg

DSCF0394.jpg

DSCF0396.jpg

37 years of Ziebart stripped in about 20 minutes:

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

After 2 coats of Primer, 3 coats of high temp Red and 3 coats of Clear (thanks Duplicolor) the finished product:

DSCF0400.jpg

DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0413.jpg

Second ground to engine hole drilled and grommet installed:

DSCF0402.jpg

Ran second ground and followed positive cable and attached to fuel line brackets all the way to engine bay securing with zip ties. What a PITA all over again!

DSCF0409.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

Catch Can Installed:

DSCF0416.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

Fuel Pump Installed (Round 2):

DSCF0420.jpg

DSCF0423.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I have been creeping along over the past few months.

I had an issue with the pulley and radiator see my other thread.

Enjoy the pics:

Fuel Line ran from tank to pump.

DSCF0443.jpg

Inline Filter from tank mounted behind filler neck access panel.

DSCF0447.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

Final Fuel pump mount (mockup) I used a 280Z stock Fuel Pump Bracket Modified.

DSCF0476.jpg

DSCF0467.jpg

Return line to tank

DSCF0473.jpg

Stock Pulley removed

IMGP0347.jpg

Performance Product SDS Modified Pulley Installed

IMGP0380.jpg

More pics to come later...

Well I had a good bit of time on Friday and part of Sunday to work on the Z. Let the pics speak for themselves.

Fuel Pump Final Mount

IMGP0385.jpg

Harness

IMGP0386.jpg

Distributor block off plate and SDS Hall Sensor front cover bracket mounted

IMGP0394.jpg

Raychem DR-25 Heat Shrink Tubing installed on the EFI Harness

Before

DSCF0212.jpg

After

IMGP0399.jpg

IMGP0402.jpg

IMGP0401.jpg

IMGP0398.jpg

While I am waiting on the radiator repair I decided to put in my FairladyZ 432 Grille that I've had forever. Here you go:

Before

IMGP0390.jpg

IMGP0381.jpg

After

IMGP0393.jpg

IMGP0410.jpg

Compare

Compare.jpg

That looks really great, except for this:

DSCF0473.jpg

You should NEVER let electrical wires touch a Stainless braided hose. This will be an almost instant disaster - the hose will abrade the battery cable insulation (probably in the first 100 miles or so), then it will short it to ground, burning a hole through the hose and pouring fuel onto the arcing battery cable. Not good.

Not trying to sound like a prick, but this MUST be addressed before you drive the car. If you have to have the hose and wires routed like that, then you should put some firesleeve over the hose to keep it from rubbing against the wiring.