HybridZ

Project 240Z Turbo ITB Install

S30TRBO

You should NEVER let electrical wires touch a Stainless braided hose. This will be an almost instant disaster - the hose will abrade the battery cable insulation (probably in the first 100 miles or so), then it will short it to ground, burning a hole through the hose and pouring fuel onto the arcing battery cable. Not good.

Not trying to sound like a prick, but this MUST be addressed before you drive the car. If you have to have the hose and wires routed like that, then you should put some firesleeve over the hose to keep it from rubbing against the wiring.

Funny you mention that Tim. I have some insulated clamps that I was going to align the battery cables and move the pump-to-hard line feed under the cables. I understand your point and you're not being a prick by any means. :) It's on my list to-do on the windshield of the Z. I'll post a pic once I get to that stage. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Much better. Sorry but I have to ask - is the braided line that is connected to the right angle fitting in the pic below touching the battery cable? I'm assuming that it isn't and the picture was just taken from a weird angle, right? I wouldn't be comfortable with less than an inch of clearance there if the stainless braid is to remain uncovered like that.

IMGP0419.jpg

Much better. Sorry but I have to ask - is the braided line that is connected to the right angle fitting in the pic below touching the battery cable?

Thanks, it's a weird angle and actually I can slip 2 fingers in between the two but just for GP I will secure it as well.

Keep up the excellent work Joe! Looking great!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

• 2 weeks later...
Take it from someone who has made that trip in a 1978 Z-Car! It's WAY OVER RATED! Hahahaha! :) It took 7 days, vapor locking thru AZ, NM and TX, it was on a Stock Datsun EFi Fuel Rail though!!

Kevin,

Sponsor me with expenses and we'll call it the "Extrudabody Datsun 240Z Challenge".. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Why bother reading the first post in the thread?

Sorry mate, was reading at work which sometimes (often) means that I'm skimming, trying to catch the major points of a thread. Now that I've read it, I support it!

Why not?

Well, there isn't really a reason not to I suppose. I just don't see a compelling reason to go to all the extra work/expense for ITBs when a decent plenum performs just as well on a forced induction engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's actually a performance gain there.

Sorry mate, was reading at work which sometimes (often) means that I'm skimming, trying to catch the major points of a thread. Now that I've read it, I support it!

Well, there isn't really a reason not to I suppose. I just don't see a compelling reason to go to all the extra work/expense for ITBs when a decent plenum performs just as well on a forced induction engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's actually a performance gain there.

As mentioned before, once the ITB's are mocked up, tuned and dynoed they will move over to my project 810 build.

This is just a progression in phases as I slowly build as funding allows.

Thanks for the support!

• Like 1

As mentioned before, once the ITB's are mocked up, tuned and dynoed they will move over to my project 810 build.

This is just a progression in phases as I slowly build as funding allows.

Thanks for the support!

I have a lot of respect for the way you're approaching this. I just want to see more :-D

I have a lot of respect for the way you're approaching this. I just want to see more :-D

Thanks, me too....

I'm on the downhill slop with my niece who lives with me which hopefully is graduating high school this month. That is where all my weekend time is going. Progress should be picking back up in June when she moves out. :)

Stay tuned......

• 1 month later...