HybridZ

Motorcycle Advice - 250R vs 650R

Pete84

The dealer in town is completely out for the foreseeable future of both the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and 650R, so this is pretty much a used bike issue.

I am 6'1" and 265 lbs., would the 250R be just to little for me? The used bike prices on both are not that far down from MSRP, ~$3000 for a several year old, good condition 250R, $5000-6500 for a 650R. I do have $1500 in cash, and my credit is right on 730 from all four agencies. I would rather not get the 250R, and in a few months discover that it has no further interest to me, nor would I like to spend more than I need to, and get a 650R.

Opinions? A good forum to ask this in?

I did go to all the dealers in town, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and test sat on the relevant bikes. The SV650S has to great a forward lean, and I didn't really get into the SV650. The foot pegs were a bit odd if I remember right. The GS500 seemed ok, but if not a 650R then why not go all the way down to even better mpg and handling in the 250R? I really liked the FZ6, then looked into insurance, mileage, etc., and found that it was a super sports bike in disguise. And Honda doesn't seem to make anything to my interest. The 919 feels like a dream, but once more, it is a super sports bike in drag.

Gas is killing me, and yes, I know it will take some time to make enough savings in gas to compensate for the bike, but I've had enough paying $4.69 a gallon for my Honda.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initially I was looking for an older bike, but after seeing what was being offered as 'running well, minor cosmetic' from craigslist ads, I've given up pretty much. Taped on turn signals, seats you can lift off, leaking break lines, the whole spectrum of what could be broken, was in fact broken. Plus, the used bikes that are in fact in decent condition have such inflated prices because of the gas price boom that it makes sense to spend just a bit more and get something much newer.

Talking with the Kawasaki dealer, they said that their next shipment of 250R/650Rs would be in early 2009. Now if you wanted a cruiser or a super sports bike, they could definitely get you set there.

So the consensus is the 650R. Any other possible suggestions?

Not to berude but i wouldnt go with the 250r with your weight. The suspension will be under sprung and not have enough power. And honestly i doubt you would get 70mpg with the 250 hauling you around. Im not trying to be mean must the facts Its like when you get the 4banger car to get better gas mileage and then it gets worse than the v6 would of because you have to work it so much harder to get the same performance.

650R is the gayness. If you're looking for something in that realm, get a SV650 or SV650S. I'm biased, and for good reason.

Jump on SVRider.com and take a look around: incredible community, lots of aftermarket support, amazing parts interchangeability with GSXR's, incredible performance (suspension primarily), and a great heritage (only since '98, I believe).

You can get a naked 2003 for $3k around here. I've gotten as high as 60mpg on the highway on mine and generally average out to 50mpg with very aggressive riding. Excellent powerband and only 87 octane. FWIW - I ran a 12.1@109 on mine, which is slower than 600SS bikes, but I smoke them to the 1/8th and I'm the fastest remotely stock SV650 I can find.

If you don't like the ergos of the SV650, you can change it easily or get used to it.

Also, between the 250R and the 650R, I'd probably choose the 250R. It's been around and people love wringing their necks without worrying about getting bit back. You will look like a monkey humping a football but you wouldn't be scoping a 650R if you cared about looks.

Also, if you're wise, tack on another $200-$400 for at LEAST a DOT/SNELL certified full-face helmet, motorcycle-specific jacket and gloves.

Yea don't get either of those bikes.

SV650's are really nice and make good transportation. You can take them to the track to boot. I'm assuming since your looking at those bikes you don't have much experience.. in such a case the sv650 is a great bike there as well, very easy to ride and still has lots of potential. They have nice torque and will feel better then a 600 around town. I like the naked version its loooks pretty sweet, especially the newer ones.

Oh and don't buy new! Buy a used one and save several thousand dollars. Its prolly gonna go down anyway ;)

Id say take a closer look at the FZ6, its an awesome bike all around and I get mid 40's MPG. Mine has alittle work but ive put quite a few liter bikes in there place on the twistys. Also I pay about 100 a year for insurance. Ive also got almost 30K on the clock.

Id say take a closer look at the FZ6, its an awesome bike all around and I get mid 40's MPG. Mine has alittle work but ive put quite a few liter bikes in there place on the twistys. Also I pay about 100 a year for insurance. Ive also got almost 30K on the clock.

100 a year for insurance?? I assume that is just liability. What mix of highway and city driving do you do? I am almost exclusively highway, with a bit of back roads thrown in.

Yea don't get either of those bikes.

SV650's are really nice and make good transportation. You can take them to the track to boot. I'm assuming since your looking at those bikes you don't have much experience.. in such a case the sv650 is a great bike there as well, very easy to ride and still has lots of potential. They have nice torque and will feel better then a 600 around town. I like the naked version its loooks pretty sweet, especially the newer ones.

Oh and don't buy new! Buy a used one and save several thousand dollars. Its prolly gonna go down anyway ;)

I did some searching on the local craigslist postings, and trust me, I am not buying new. Think there have been more SV's sold than 650Rs, just looking at the number for sale.

And yes, I don't have a whole lot of experience. Just about every new rider at work, who has bought new, has gotten an SV.

Time to go off to the bank and see what sort of loan I can get!

650R is the gayness. If you're looking for something in that realm, get a SV650 or SV650S. I'm biased, and for good reason.

Jump on SVRider.com and take a look around: incredible community, lots of aftermarket support, amazing parts interchangeability with GSXR's, incredible performance (suspension primarily), and a great heritage (only since '98, I believe).

You can get a naked 2003 for $3k around here. I've gotten as high as 60mpg on the highway on mine and generally average out to 50mpg with very aggressive riding. Excellent powerband and only 87 octane. FWIW - I ran a 12.1@109 on mine, which is slower than 600SS bikes, but I smoke them to the 1/8th and I'm the fastest remotely stock SV650 I can find.

If you don't like the ergos of the SV650, you can change it easily or get used to it.

Also, between the 250R and the 650R, I'd probably choose the 250R. It's been around and people love wringing their necks without worrying about getting bit back. You will look like a monkey humping a football but you wouldn't be scoping a 650R if you cared about looks.

Also, if you're wise, tack on another $200-$400 for at LEAST a DOT/SNELL certified full-face helmet, motorcycle-specific jacket and gloves.

So I'm confused... what exactly makes the 650r "the gayness"? It's direct competition to the sv650, twin config, dohc, liquid cooled, makes 50 ft lbs of torque at 7k rpm.

I'm biased, and for good reason.

So, what is that reason?

To the original poster: 250 is not enough bike for you even for a first bike. If you want to look into a good starter bike, sv650/650r are good units, maybe a used YZF600r (that was my first bike, great starter bike), FZ6 as someone mentioned, ZX6R, maybe a suzuki GS500 if you want to go smaller.

Get whatever you feel comfortable on that's not super powered. My friend's first bike was a Honda VFR (V-4, torquey like a vtwin, and has good top end) 750cc. Just save $1,000 for decent gear. Helmet/jacket/boots/gloves are a must

I ride it 40mi round trip highway to work during the week. Then after work or weekends its all moutain riding. 100 a year is for liability, but the FZ is super cheep to fix out of pocket. The most costly body part is the rear grab handle ($200 +/-). Ive been on alot of bikes and love my FZ it has great egros for riding for extended periods. But by all means get what fits you, and something that gives you that good feeling when your on it.

So I'm confused... what exactly makes the 650r "the gayness"? It's direct competition to the sv650, twin config, dohc, liquid cooled, makes 50 ft lbs of torque at 7k rpm.
It's ugly, gay, poor sound, weenie aftermarket, tries to look like the sportbike it is not and is no SV :)

So, what is that reason?

I've been riding one for 30,000 miles and have ridden enough of the other bikes (ZX6R, ZX14, FZ1, SV1000, GS500, Tiger, Rebel 250, Harley Superglide) to make comparisons. I've also ridden 150 miles on Texas World Speedway, roasting many other bikes (600SS's mostly) - though, I know it's mostly rider than bike.

To the original poster: 250 is not enough bike for you even for a first bike. If you want to look into a good starter bike, sv650/650r are good units, maybe a used YZF600r (that was my first bike, great starter bike), FZ6 as someone mentioned, ZX6R, maybe a suzuki GS500 if you want to go smaller.

The SV650 is NOT a good starter bike and just because someone may not die on one or even have a minor accident on it does not make it so. For some it might be, but there's no way to tell for a person who's never ridden before how well they'll pick it up. A GS500 is more than enough for a new rider; a Ninja 250 or Rebel 250 is more appropriate for a NEW rider for at least the first 1000 miles of legitimate riding (throttle control, turns, traffic, braking, handling the bike, maintaining) - yes, even for a 260lb rider.

Too many people will, for example, ride a SV650 for two months, get used to the power, then think it's time to move up to a more powerful bike. There's a lot more that comes along with a more powerful bike than just accelerating in straight line: walls, trees, animals, cars, for starters. So you have to learn how to brake, which doesn't mean "how quickly and firmly can I jam the front brake?"

various bike pictures...

So you know I'm not exactly new to bikes either.

That's fine. I could tell you've been around bikes.

My two thoughts regarding this:

1. Your having started on a 600 semi-SS is no case for a "best first bike," if that's what you were going for. Lots of guys start out on a Hayabusa because they weigh over 200lbs :ugg:

2. There are LOTS of people out there who have been "riding bikes for years" who are some of the worst riders I've ever seen - this is largely due to having picked up bad habits from the beginning; another reason is the lack of effort to become a better rider because they've decided being able to accelerate and stop and not fall over means they've reached the pinnacle of motorcycle experience.

Dont go SUMO... they are super fun around town. I built a sumo xr650r and had a blast on it, but just not practical for any type of interstate or distance riding, unless you gear it down a lot and then they are slow.

Im looking for another street bike now, just gotta sell the xr.

The question I have is......what is your street bike experience level, if any? If your answer is none, start taking the bus or buy yourself a huge insurance policy! Just one man's opinion with 30 years of riding and racing bikes.

Tom