HybridZ

Project 1Jz s30

Gritz

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Grtiz! Nice to see that you are serious about the swap. 1jz is the only way to go!!:-D

Thanks!! Im aiming for about 350-400whp So nothing to crazy..:wink:

So far the engine looks pretty good, although it did arrive with a broken tps housing..know where i can buy one? The oil looks very clean, spark plugs look pretty good, but i can tell it was running a little rich..Most of the sensors look brand new, coil packs the same...The harness look kinda ragged, but it is complete and uncut...The ECU looks fine, but i have not had a chance to open it up..The twins all spin freely with only minimum shaft play...This 1jz seems to be a second gen version because of the way the vent on the valve cover is designed, so it is a newer 1jz so thats all good....

Will prolly try to pull my l26 this weekend, and paint the engine bay...

I'm now trying to decide should i just pony up the money and buy the mounts i need of just make custom...I stared this project with the idea that i could do this swap for cheap..my budget was $3500-$4000 including the price of the car!!!! Now i know some of you may think that I'm crazy...but i am on my way...so far i have paid $600 for the car, and $2000 for the engine set..total of $2600 so that leaves me $1400 to get the 1jz in the car running good!!! Of course that is if everything goes as plan which rarely happens..:wink:

I believe in build to what the car is for...So i wont be spending money on fancy this and fancy that...I will imitate or maybe better stock design..for example a good piece of fuel line works fine as fuel line, don't need steal braided fuel line..lol...If i was building a track car then it would be diffrent...just clean stock form factor...

If the gearbox has been on that engine since the factory,both will have come from a JDM Mk3 Supra,(the only other cars Toyota fitted the R154 to, Soarers and Chasers used the R154 with the longer extension housing)

Bargain price for the pair:lol: Just the box in this part of the world costs $1400-$2000+ and ECU for a manual very hard to find.

If the gearbox has been on that engine since the factory,both will have come from a JDM Mk3 Supra,(the only other cars Toyota fitted the R154 to, Soarers and Chasers used the R154 with the longer extension housing)

Bargain price for the pair:lol: Just the box in this part of the world costs $1400-$2000+ and ECU for a manual very hard to find.

This is only a standard 1jz, not vvt like you have,,Also my engine set didn't come with a map sensor or igniter...which is about $250-$300 for the pair..still a ok deal...if the motor turns out to be good...

Wow, let us know how that budget works for you. I have a 1jz, and a 2jz in my shop. I've got 7 months left in Iraq to decide which one to put in the Z... everytime I think i've made a choice, i change my mind for some reason. I guess that's a girl thing ;)

Wow, let us know how that budget works for you. I have a 1jz, and a 2jz in my shop. I've got 7 months left in Iraq to decide which one to put in the Z... everytime I think i've made a choice, i change my mind for some reason. I guess that's a girl thing ;)

Really can't wrong with either one...most here will say 2jz...but to me a 1jz has a perfect cathartics for a light car.. but being that you have both engines i guess the 2jz is the better choice....

I'm leaning toward the 1j at this point, simply because my hp goals are where yours are. I want to autocross, and have fun with it in the mountains. Keep it TT. The 91 supra is being stripped down for drag, so the 2j with a big single may be a better fit for that one. that's where my logic is right now anyhow...

I'm leaning toward the 1j at this point, simply because my hp goals are where yours are. I want to autocross, and have fun with it in the mountains. Keep it TT. The 91 supra is being stripped down for drag, so the 2j with a big single may be a better fit for that one. that's where my logic is right now anyhow...

You have awesome logic!!

Well as planned my brother and i pulled the engine today.....And what a mess it was...35 years of grim and dirt....:wink: Pressure washed everything down...and finished with fresh coat of gloss black....sorry for the crappy pics...

IMAGE_035_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_036_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_039_thumb.jpg

Just thinking out loud.. i wonder if i could modify a supra mk3 cross-member to work...Stay with me here...Being that the 260z already has a Cross-member that ties in the front end, the supra CM would only be used to hold the engine in place...I would have to measure the supra CM and even if it's longer than the 24in wide that the s30 frames rails are i could cut it down weld on "L" bracket then weld it to the frame rails.....Anyone have a pic of a late 89-90's MK III CM?

after you said you painted and all, but...

The two holed thing on the firewall needs to be moved back.

That's the position of factory aircon in/out on a RHD car,it stays where it is, he needs a slightly different (in the size department) "two holed thing" for his heater in/out.

Today My dad and I got he 1jz into the s30, but it's only for mock up and is blocked up for now...Yesterday, I made a cross member from 1 1/2 box tubing and 1/4in thick( i think) angle iron....Now that the engine is in place i can put my cross member in place and make ajustments....I still have to make the actual mount on the CM, might do that tonight or tomorrow, hope to have pics of the cross member tomorrow...

check it out....It looks cozy!!!!

IMAGE_046_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_045_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_044_thumb.jpg