HybridZ

Project 1Jz s30

Gritz

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your video on youtube... impressive.

Anyway, I did notice a tend in these swaps and I had a question for you. Ive noticed that people are always saying what a nightmare wiring the body harness into the new ECU, but the PO of my car had cut the wring harness out...leaving me to rewire everything else. Its not EFI, so I only had to deal with the lights, stereo, amp, and all that, but I digress.

I would assume that you are wiring in warning lights and gauges and whatnot. I have an autometer tach, speedo, and water temp gauge, and that's it... these are easy to wire up, so would I even need everything else that goes along with the harness? You know, all the "nightmarish" stuff?

Nope. you are correct. The wiring is fairly easy if you know what your doing, my brother helped me with mine.. All you have to do is supply power, ground and ign to the 1jz/2jz harness. My wiring harness was complete and intact, so all i did was grab a wire diagram and ecu pinout and made sure i applied power and ground where needed.

Awesome project man. I wish i could get my hands on a 2JZ for cheap.

Seems like you're having fun eh?

Well a jdm 2jzgte's are around $1500-2000 but you will need a manual trans and rear sump oil pan. Or you could boost a NA 2jz, those can be had for around $800 or cheaper.

Wow! this car is insanely fast, so far so good. Engine runs like a champ, no vibration in the body so the mount is holding well. I have a couple of issues, i need a oil restrict in the turbo feed line, My car seems to be getting hot after about 30mins-hour of driving the temp goes to about 210 degrees and gets cooler at idle?? I'm not sure what thermostat i have?? I think it's because the Intercooler is mounted right in front of the rad. I'm using the stock rad. so might be time for a new aluminum RAD. I'm going to flush my system and if that doesn't work then I'm getting a new rad.

Did i say how fast this car is? Bark tires in 4th! Thats with the stock 14's though :) I do have a little lag that I'm not use to; i barley have any boost in first gear, but second is a different story. The 62-1 i have has a 68 a/r hot side that i thought would be pretty quick spooling.. possible Reasons for slower spooling are tuning, ebay crap turbo, or loose wastegate spring...etc

Over the past year, i have changed front and rear shocks and springs with tokico blues, which is the reason my car sits a little low in the front(pic soon)changed to poly bushings, installed front toyota 4 piston upgrade, new ball joints, new tie rod ends,new u joints all the way around. The car rides pretty good very tight steering, tight acceleration, trans is smooth.

The 1jzgte has a awesome exhaust note, hitting boost revving out to 7k is amazing; 1jz is one of the best sounding engine ever made bar none.

I still have to close in my rear hatch area where the fuel cell is, it's wide open right now :)My rear drums are frozen right now, my dad and i where able to unfreeze one, now tomorrow i will work on the other. My wide band is acting up, it reads 15.5 at idle, cruising and under hard acceleration?? I don't think that I'm lean only pushing 10psi.. Still have to wrap my exhaust and manifold to control under hood temps.. Might install my 440cc injectors tomorrow??? anyway more later..

I got around to installing the turbo oil feed restrict and i also figured out my radiator problem..The radiator just needed to be flush, man it was like mud coming out of there.. i thought i cleaned it but i guess after that 200 degrees hit, the temps must have loosen all the grim and dirt..

post-2151-12750047942684_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

300 miles so far and everything still in good shape. Still can't get enough of that exhaust note, I'm going to try to take a vid this week so you guys can hear. The r154 supra trans and the stock r180 3.3 rear is a pretty good combo for cursing and conformable driving but a 3.50 or 3.70 gear would probably be perfect for performance/confornt...Since I'm getting old (:)) the stock gear actually what i prefer, in 5th going about 55mph sounds like I'm only turning about 2000 rpm..great!

I ordered some 16X8 513's today that should be here fri, maybe have them mounted next week..I haven't fixed my wideband yet but i know whats wrong; i have a bad sensor so i got to order another.. until then i will hold off on installing my 440cc 2jz injectors..I have been keeping the boost around 5-8psi until i know where I'm at with fuel but the car is still really fast; i still believe the z will run 12's as it sits and because of the 3.3 gear I'm not really loosing traction all crazy, just a little chirp after every gear..:)

So soon i will start bodywork, i plan to do a rough sanding job and prime the whole car so it looks better than it does now, then take one fender at a time and get everything striaght..more later

IM style posting is not allowed on this forum, HybridZ rules, link in the upper right corner of the screen.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/50129-posting-in-im-format/

Thank you,

HybridZ staff

Sorry about that.........

Car is looking great man B) Have you noticed any issues with the stock wiring at all? I read somewhere that some of the lighting wiring isnt that great and have been looking at some of the wiring upgrades over at The Z store...but am not sure if they are really necessary.

Sorry about that.........

Car is looking great man B) Have you noticed any issues with the stock wiring at all? I read somewhere that some of the lighting wiring isnt that great and have been looking at some of the wiring upgrades over at The Z store...but am not sure if they are really necessary.

The stock wiring is holding up fine, the condition of my stock harness was pretty good shape, my problem was the person the that owned car before me just hacked alot of the wiring instead of fixing things the right way.

I fixed the problem with my wideband..The problem was one of the pins on the back of the gauge had trash or corrosion, so when i plugged in the gauge there wasn't perfect contact which threw off the reading..all good now, under WOT im around 10.9@ 14.5psi which is where the fuel cut is..Im always hitting the cut lol..so im going to switch to my 10psi spring until im ready to swap in the 440's, fuel pressure reg and boost controller.

Here is a pic of the new wheels!!

post-2151-12769988913138_thumb.jpg

post-2151-12769989097167_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey Gritz,

I'm just sitting here at work overlooking your build thread, which has been like my 100th time around lol. Just curious to know if there are any updates. I am very curious as you and timbo's build have been an inspiration for my 240z. I am currently saving up some initial cash to get the project started! Let me know, it seems the Toyota Threads don't get very much attention. Take care!

Adam

• 2 months later...