HybridZ

Approximate power for a NA

BlueZ31

I know its been posted and posted a million and one times in this forum on making N/A power in a vg30e, but heres my setup

MSA headers

MSD 6al

engloids plenum

NGK wires and Bosch plat's

E-Fan and No A/C

JWT stage 2 cams and springs

Head work with 3-angle job

CAI and a full cat-back exhaust

Im hoping to be in the 200 crank hp, and im at a loss as to what to do next other than a vg33 buildup, im wanting to stay NA with this or any future motor just because i lack any experience with turbos and i love the super responsiveness of a NA and a xterra supercharger just doesnt sound worth the effort (though a blower poking through the hood would be extremely badass) Im thinking maybe working on the drivetrain, say like a aluminum driveshaft/flywheel or messing with the rear-end gears or diff, but after that im lost on what to do next...

anyone here running a JWT ecu for a NA or even a turbo? im guessing its the last thing i could do to complement my setup and possibly pick up a few extra ponies....any ideas or a good direction for a swap would be appreciated

id honestly be happier with a good sounding, reliable car that feels fast N/A than a turbo 400++hp car that is fast but eats through gas and may be a little tempermental on the upkeep

• 2 weeks later...

Some new information posted recently on a Z31 site shows that a VG33 has thick enough cylinder walls than you can safely bore it up to a 3.8 liter... that will definitely make you some awesome power NA and would probably be the absolute best way to get high NA numbers out of an NA VG.

Some custom forged pistons around 97.8 mm (I wouldn't go much larger) built to work with Z32 rods (just a larger wrist pin) and some good head work would make it a monster.

I had been told about the 3.4 setup, but never a 3.8, damn thats huge! like my friends camaro, only alot lighter and alot better..ha...

What overbore are you talking about? id assume somewhere between .040-.080? my only concern with overboring is the added rotating weight might make it a little less responsive on the top end, the stock vg30e engine is pretty "square" which makes for a good motor throughout the rpm range.

Plus an overbore would lower the max redline, right? Unless i used higher strength bearings im assuming, ive read that the z32 rods are actually pretty thick/strong so im sure it'd be a stout setup, definently something to keep in mind.

Its more like a .248" overbore. :D

Usually over square engines tend to rev a little better than the opposite... As far as weight goes though, going with a larger piston will definitely add some weight... just depends how much it weighs over the stock piston since the forged units are lighter for their size compared to cast/hyper eutectic. Also going with aftermarket rods will help keep weight reduced as well.

I'm sure it can still rev pretty well though. I've seen a Buick GN 3.8 V6 running nearly 7,800 RPM... just depends how high you really want to run it. Generally with more displacement like that it means you'll have more power sooner meaning you don't have to rev it all that much to get your power, which is especially nice for the street but also helps with reliability. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still get it to handle 7,000 RPM though. I'm no expert on it but I don't see why not.

• 4 months later...

200 hp to the cranks is hard to achieve in the N/A motors especially the z31 motors. Check out 300zxclub.com and look at the z31 section, theres alot of info about upgrades. I know z32 vg's are achieving the 200's-210's range but thats with a reallly good tune.