HybridZ

Why is the VG redline so low?

BlueZ31

Im doing a NA vg30e buildup for fun, and i found it odd that the redline is so low (5,500), which isnt alot to play with. Is it because of the restrictive intake which would make revving past 5,500 turbo and N/A useless? Or is it a combination of the strength of the valve springs ,valve train/bottom end? Any tips on building a high revving motor would be appreciated!

OH and i forgot to mention im using JWT stiffest springs and the center springs(stockers) in combination, and im curious as to whether or not anyones found/made a higher ratio rocker arm for this mill, if im not mistaken their rated at a conservative 1.5 right? i saw measurable rwhp gains by switching to 1.7's in my old 350 so i figured this might be another addition for my list if their out there...

On my Maxima fuel cut was around 6,200 RPM and I'm pretty sure on Z31's it was closer to 6,500 RPM but I could be wrong on that one.

With upgraded valve springs you can easily take it up to 7,000 RPM but the biggest reason is because of power produced at a higher RPM... well, the lack thereof. 7,000 RPM is definitely pushing the limit on stock heads as you won't be making much power up there without some head work and cams. With both you can then rev it to pretty much whatever your head work, cams, and internals will support.

I have the s2 racing cams and valve springs from jim wolf and according to them the engine can rev to 7800, but I am going to have it at around 7k. the tech guy said that the springs were heavily tested and should only have the seat pressure required which is 68 ft pds. my machine shop set the height to stock and I broke a couple of rocker arms before realizing what went wrong.(guy before me had the springs and not the cams so he thought that they were both stock) I don't know if using the inner spring will help you much and it might even cause coil bind. Anywho make sure that you use the retainers that they give you and set the spring height to what they say.

Yes, i definently wanted to ensure everything was installed perfectly so i had the local machine shop install the springs. I mostly had the cams ground and a fresh set of heads machined because the old ones (still on right now) has a exhaust stud broke into it...but once the old ones are off im gonna extract the bolt and seriously consider some head work, ive been reading up on how to DIY and ive got a great guideline *smokey yunicks power secrets, circa 1980* its mostly for sbc's but hes worked with OHC engines before and since the vg30e is a 2v motor most of the facts are applicable.