HybridZ

Custom VK build up...

What bellhousing do those Nissan and Aroura IRL motors use? Proprietary or a more standard one?

Any idea of what the lifespan of the 5.6 engine was in those race conditions? To get that sort of power from a nearly stock motor is incredible!! The rods and crank must be something else!

I'm fairly certain the bellhousing was a custom job, depending on what gearbox they were using, Hewland maybe???You have to realize that there are not many similarities between the IRL motors and their production counterparts. It's not like the 60's where you could possibly order a racing spec motor for your daily driver....if only....

Alright, I've got a decent amount of info on what I need to accomplish my goals but I still need a good deal more on the stock specs of the engine which is one of the reasons I posted here to begin with. I can appreciate the obvious fact that not many if any tuners stateside have direct experience with the direct injection version of this engine but I would love to get any feedback about the rest of the block like how well the stock Titanium valves hold up under high revs and/or boost, how large the combustion chamber is and how conducive it is to combustion at high revs. Just trying to get some outside help on something other than IRL engines and how easy it is to make power with other engines.

Some contact info with a Japanese shop that deals with these engines on a regular basis would be great but I understand that even in japan this engine hasn't quite had the attention heaped on it that engines like the RB,SR, and VQ have received.

Info on a shop (pref. on the east coast) that has extensive experience tuning highly modified direct injection and/or E85 run engines would be ideal but I'll take all the help I can get, I've obviously tried to educate myself as much as possible on the parts that I don't have alot of experience with but I'm also smart enough to know when to ask for help.

Enough ranting for now, gotta go!

Thanks guys for the help!

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering I'll probably be using a Z32 tranny with adapter plate unless I start running into issues with fitment or clearances.

And I'll most likely have to use at least 550cc injectors although I've gotta crunch the numbers and talk to a direct injection tuner and see how much the shortened spray cycle and the E85 requirements are going to push that number up.

The heads have a very nice combustion chamber which should help quite a bit on a boosted app. Also, the ports are as generous as I've seen in stock applications. I expect the VK to make big numbers when boosted like the VQ does. Also, certain 05+ Titan and Armadas with the VK56 were factory flex fuel models with larger injectors and different valves and seats than the regular gas engine.

Nice, thanks Jared, do you have any idea about what sizes exactly and how long? although I would like to stike with the Titanium valves the VK45 comes with stock I know I'll have to step up to larger valves to make room for the massive airflow I'm trying to pull off. But if the VK56 runs similar size I might be able to at least use them as a good base to start with.

Although I'm trying to stick with an ultra efficient NA setup. I would love to see some more experimenting with FI on the VK45. I know Top Secret built a VK45DETT and dropped it into a G35, as well as a guy with some pretty deep pockets attempting the same thing on one of the other Nissan forums. What was really cool about the guy on the forum's ride was along with a widebody setup, he also had M45 headlights grafted to his front end. It was pretty sick looking once he finally got it balanced right.

Can I ask why you are attached to the idea of a direct injection engine? I don't have any info to back it up, but I thought the idea was to have better control over both where the fuel goes in the chamber, and exactly when, but the overall purpose was closer to fuel economy and emissions than out-right power.

Am I mistaken? You don't see F1 engines with direct injection? In fact, they have the injectors outside the trumpets IIRC.

Dave

Let me know what specs you need for the VK, I should be able to help out. I'm currently trying to find injector information for the two. Nissan does not supply that information and I'm getting a set MY06 flex fuel injectors packed up to send out and have tested.

You're right Dave. In theory the most efficient form of fuel delivery for making power is a carb. Though this rarely works in real world examples so the next best thing is extremely high pressure injectors setup like the F1 guys.That's actually why I'm curious as to what pressure the DI systems operate at, it should give me a rough idea as to their fuel atomization capabilities.Jared: I knew those VK56 motors were flex-fuel, but I didn't know they were direct injection, are you sure about that?

More power, cleaner emissions, and increased fuel economy.

Actually direct injection does both, the only reason you are hearing more about its fuel efficiency then its top-end power production is because fuel efficiency is a far more popular topic right now. While yes it does provide better fuel efficiency, it does also provide a noticeable top end power production advantage. Besides, it stands to reason that an engine built to take advantage of much leaner fuel mixtures should also have more provisions built into the head to in the form of better flow.

Ferrari is equipping its F430 with direct injection and expects a power bump of 10% and reduced emissions around 40% with better fuel economy as another bonus.

You're right Dave. In theory the most efficient form of fuel delivery for making power is a carb. Though this rarely works in real world examples so the next best thing is extremely high pressure injectors setup like the F1 guys.That's actually why I'm curious as to what pressure the DI systems operate at, it should give me a rough idea as to their fuel atomization capabilities.Jared: I knew those VK56 motors were flex-fuel, but I didn't know they were direct injection, are you sure about that?

I never said the vk56 was direct injection.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag this up from the dead, but I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a vk56de is e85 compatible or not, and it was previously alluded to in this thread:

The heads have a very nice combustion chamber which should help quite a bit on a boosted app. Also, the ports are as generous as I've seen in stock applications. I expect the VK to make big numbers when boosted like the VQ does. Also, certain 05+ Titan and Armadas with the VK56 were factory flex fuel models with larger injectors and different valves and seats than the regular gas engine.

Jared, is there any way I can tell from looking at it if it is? Here is the info I have: 2007 Titan, definitely VCT, iirc the engine number was vk56497???Z (going from memory, is written down at home). Or is it as simple as the injectors being a different colour?

Dave

Sorry to drag this up from the dead, but I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a vk56de is e85 compatible or not, and it was previously alluded to in this thread:

Jared, is there any way I can tell from looking at it if it is? Here is the info I have: 2007 Titan, definitely VCT, iirc the engine number was vk56497???Z (going from memory, is written down at home). Or is it as simple as the injectors being a different colour?

Dave

I believe all Nissan Titan VK56s are flex fuel capable.