HybridZ

280zx POWER!

try to find a 2nd hand leightwieght flywheel. My 79 s130 is pretty much stock, with exception to a couple pretty much useless boltons, im running the stock 8.3:1 compression, and I bought a 10.5lb fidanza flywheel, and it did miracles, it made the motor rev freely, and it pulls better on topend. Before I installed the clutch and flywheel, I ran a 16.2 @ 84mph that was my fastest time prior, after the flywheel and clutch I ran a 15.90 @ 87.2 mph and thats on bald all season tires running 35psi (Autox pressure). So lets recap, the clutch and flywheel gave me 3.2 mph higher trap speed at the end of the quarter mile.

i feel all jittery for giving the tune up hint:lol:.... and hey!!! im a 16 year old with no job... i just do without parts and hope nothing breaks and its worked so far....

and you can geta good tune up for $100

air filter

plugs

wires

dizzy cap and rotor

mabe a coil

extra...

battery

fuel injector cleaner

o2 sensor

and check timing(timing gun)

all of its good and has made my car run much better, with the extra stuff mabe a total of $190-$200

Hey guys I have a 81' zx nonturbo. I was wondering how much horsepower it has.. and also what could i do to get more power in my zx? im only 17 and dont have much money.. only about 100 bucks..

Thats like a Oxymoron. But you should do a tune up, check all vac lines and rad hose and replace with new ones, flush all fluids (oils & coolant), fill with fresh new fluids, change fuel filter/s including air filter, then fill the gas tank up an run some injector/fuel system cleaner through it.

Doing that should at least put you on a base level to start thinking on hp gains, with out that, youll break it.

Those things should be done before thinking about puting hp though that motor, regardless if it was kept by a little old lady who drove it to church on sundays, it is a twentysomething yr old car.

If memory serves me correctly I beleave it is 179hp, but then again i could be wrong.

179hp would be the SAE GROSS HP figure, not NET, which is what these cars were rated at. So more realistically it's around 130hp previously stated in this thread.

I think you should find some summer work. $100 doesn't go very far. Skip the intake. You'll be lucky to see a 2hp increase.

Spend it on a good tune up. Spark plugs. Cap. Rotor. Plug wires, etc. Check the timing, air fuel mixture if you can.

The most valuable thing you can do, since it seems as though you're not extremely knowledgable, would be to dedicate a good 5-10 hours a week LEARNING. I don't care if this means convincing the parents to pay for night classes at a community college, or just searching for stuff on this site, but unless you really develop a hunger for truthful car knowledge then you'll just end up another "ricer" that's "pimping out" your ride.

The clutch/flywheel suggestion is a good one.

Weight reduction might do more than anything else for you right now.

Spend your time and money on things that will go as far as possible. A tune up can unlock hiding horses, but a fiberglass airdam and removing the bumper will pull off weight that will forever be gone from your vehicle, no matter how much time has elapsed, or how many engines you've had in the car.

Thank you. Though I think my conclusion is that it's not burning oil, but rather some seafoam type cleaner the previous owner put in... It smokes a lot, but it just doesn't smell like oil, nor coolant.

I thought it was funny at the time though. ;)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry but I just need to interject a couple of things.......

I just moved almost 2000 miles away from the Fresno area because there really are no jobs there. It's been exactly a year since my former job(I'm a carpenter) told me, "Go home, we have no more work for you."

I couldn't even get a job at McDonalds after that happened.

Weren't the Z's(all of them) designed for Autocross??? I come from a Z family(Grandpa, Great Uncle, Uncles, Aunt, Cousin, and Me, all own Z's) and we all at some point get into Autocross in them with minimal modification. I raced my uncles until I bought mine.

As far as the horsepower issue.....get a tune up, lose some weight in the car, and read up on everything you can here, there is a treasure of knowledgeable people here(and believe it or not, it's not all old farts here.)

Also, if you have a girlfriend, get rid of her, she's extra weight when you drive, and she costs money you could be spending on your car..........

yea but the girl friend comes in handy at night time... no matter what she costs you during the day, if she is a great girl its totally worth the material investment. mine doesnt cost me much to maintian, has never left me stranded and gets my mind off my car when i need to relax. probably a better investment than my car, im certain of it.

Hey dude, congrats on your ride. I can tell you one thing. I was down in fresno a few weeks ago......and man was i shocked. Theres a few pick in pull junk yards there that had a s#!T LOAD of z cars there. especially 280zx's. check them out. you can get parts for cheep and if your lucky a few cool after market parts too!!!! Good luck and dont break your self. Oh by the way this is a great site to find out info. There are a few A$$holes on here but dont let them get to you. Remember theres no such thing as a dumb question.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey dude, congrats on your ride. I can tell you one thing. I was down in fresno a few weeks ago......and man was i shocked. Theres a few pick in pull junk yards there that had a s#!T LOAD of z cars there. especially 280zx's. check them out. you can get parts for cheep and if your lucky a few cool after market parts too!!!! Good luck and dont break your self. Oh by the way this is a great site to find out info. There are a few A$$holes on here but dont let them get to you. Remember theres no such thing as a dumb question.

thanks.. i NOW have a job and have already done the tune up and all.. i still ened to check timing though.. unfurtunately my family is not doing that well and i have to do the unthinkable.. sell my s130.. hopefully i can get one later as good as the one i have now.. thanks for all the help guys, ill check back on hybridz whenever i can and when i get my new ride i will post pics..

-peter