HybridZ

Question for the CA smog experts

David K

I fully understand the CAR smog hoops we need to jump through in order to be a hobbyist in CA. My question is about truck engine swaps. This is what i know. In a passenger car engine swap, the motor needs to come from another passenger car, not truck. But does CA say anything about truck to truck engine swaps?

Im asking because i have a '90 Pathfinder with the VG30E. I went on a 4wheeling run with Jeep guys and a Unimog today. This is the last run im going on with the friggin VG30. I cannot stand the lack of power, and in order to run 33" tires to gain clearance, im going to need a more powerful motor. On http://4x4parts.com , they sell enthusiast insipired swap mounts for a SBC V8 or 4.3 V6. They also have mounts for a Buick V6.

Is the '90 Pathfinder considered a truck, or a passenger car? Im not familiar with the classifications California gives cars. If i chose to swap in a mid 90's TBI 350 out of a Suburban or other Chevy truck, will i be able to pass inspection as a legal swap?

Thanks in advance. I know the smog thing is a beaten to death subject here, im just opening another chapter asking about truck to truck swaps.

I cannot stand the lack of power, and in order to run 33" tires to gain clearance, im going to need a more powerful motor. On http://4x4parts.com , they sell enthusiast insipired swap mounts for a SBC V8 or 4.3 V6. They also have mounts for a Buick V6.

You might consider gearing down to get more power to the wheels. I suppose a lot depends on what kind of wheeling you're doing. I've been through the Rubicon in a Toyota 4 cylinder with 35's, 4.58 gears, and dual transfer cases and the truck had no lack of power for any of the obstacles. I think they were rated at 108 hp or somewhere thereabouts. We were rock crawling though... mud bogging or some other type of off roading would obviously be a bit different.

Yeah im rock crawling up in Big Bear mostly. Its just seriously low on power. Im looking for a parts late model Chevy S-10 with the 4.3 V6 and driver side drop transfer case. If its all the same as completing the swap in a car, ill just follow the guidelines like so.

pathgoldmtn.jpg

Yeah, my Moby Van (the White G30 Chebby) was 8600#, and damned if I had to take it to different smog shops that dealt with 'Heavy Duty Trucks'.

The smog rules as JC said apply to 'passenger vehicles and light duty trucks.'

What did Chebby LUV stand for? Long before there were SUV's, there was the LUV: Light Utility Vehicle!

(NO LIE!)

I think your power issues have more to do with altitude and gearing then anything else. Finding a VG30 turbo engine out of a Z31 would probably be a better solution and you "might" be able to sneak that by the smog folks.

You're fine man, just find any motor you like that is the same year or newer and you wont have any issue. When you do the swap they just give you a new tag for what car/truck you are supposed to be as. So if you swap in a ls1 from a 00 firebird that's the smog laws you will then need to fallow. Btw you are considered a car if your license plate is a number than 3 letters than 3 more numbers. Light duty trucks are a number than a letter followed by five more numbers in Cali.

The VG30ET idea has been beat to death on the Pathfinder forums, all of them. Its reported, not my personal experience, the turbo will never fit. I need that instant torque to the axles. The turbo idea just sounds like a recipe of shredded tires and busted axles when the boost kicks in.

Gearing info for diffs: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-471925.html

Gearing info for t-case: http://www.purenissan.com/t-case_gears.htm

I would think that the t-case gears would take care of the issue entirely. I suggest you try and get a ride in a rig that has a modded t-case before you go swapping drivelines. As it says in the ad, the gearing makes the t-case 93% lower than stock. That is going to make a huge difference on the trail. Couple that with diff gears, and you just don't need that much power on the trail.

FWIW, my buddy with the Toyota has converted his to diesel, and is now adding a turbo. We talked about turbos and he said that with stock gearing and a powerful engine the turbo will spool up and that's potentially dangerous on the rocks, but with the super low gears he has he doesn't ever expect the turbo to spool since there isn't enough load on the engine. Plus his is a mid 80's 4 cylinder diesel, so even though he has modded his he doesn't expect more than 120 hp.