HybridZ

280zx turbo, Stock boost box next to the ignition coil, what does it do?

I'm working on my friends 280zx turbo 82'. I remember reading way back then about the boost reference device over by the ignition coil. If my memory serves me correctly it supposedly tells the ecu it is running more boost. My question is does anybody know what this thing does? and do you know how to test it to see if it is good or bad? I game my factory manual to my friend and its now lost so no go there. Thanks

I may be incorrect, but I'm not sure that the stock ECU knows how much boost you're running, it just goes by the airflow meter (i.e. no map sensor).

There is a "boost gage sender". If I remember correctly, it is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. All it does is send a signal to the stock boost gage.

I disconnected it when I installed a more accurate boost gage (the stock gage no longer worked) and the ECU didn't change the way the engine performed...

Any pics of what you're describing?

Im no expert on the zxt's but if there was such a box that told the ecu how much boost its running it would be included in the zxt to z turbo swap, and well i think we all know that its not. It might be part of the cruise control if i recall right there is alot of the sensors on the drivers fender by the coil that has to do with the cruise.

Im no expert on the zxt's but if there was such a box that told the ecu how much boost its running it would be included in the zxt to z turbo swap, and well i think we all know that its not. It might be part of the cruise control if i recall right there is alot of the sensors on the drivers fender by the coil that has to do with the cruise.

Its labeled boost solenoid and has a vacuum hose connected to it. With no vacuum/boost it sends out 2.21 volts. At maxium lip suckage it gets 2.1 volts at maxium lip blowage it gets 2.34 volts. So it definetly is sending different volts to the ecu. My question is does the ecu actually use this? and what is normal volts for this sensor? Thanks

Yep thats right its an electrical boost signal unit that sends the boost signal to the boost gauge into the car it has no effect on the ECCS system at all just to tell you your boost, that's why I chucked it when I did my swap and installed a real boost gauge.

It's for the gauge but you see it on later cars that aren't even turbocharged.

I think the non-turbo cars that use the boost sensor could be possibly using the data to determine instant mileage used on displays though most use pulse width, vehicle speed, temp....etc. to do that.

It may also be used in some cars to determine high rpm a/c clutch cut-off.