HybridZ

ZXR .. Super turbo prosponed BMW V8 planned

frank280zx

The LS is a lowly pushrod engine frank.

and I think Sjaaks idea of mounting the engine would make for a much nicer/cleaner install. Go for it!

i know it is just looks a bit more modern .. and then gears start turning :) then reality kicks in .. and you end up with this, you said V8 i just missed the chevy bit ;)

BTW Amsterdam ?? since when did Maarssen get incorporated ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK an update..

with the cross member under the engine so it is in the bay acceptable ( about 7 cm from the bottom end of the firewall .. i would love to see it move back more .. but that will lead way to a whole new set of problems.

The sump or front cross member would have to be address and to win 3 to 4 cm it will be not worth the effort.

Next to that the brake booster would from where im standing now in the way of the DOCH head.. (might clear it but close)

SO im going to go this route this means i have about 9 cm ~4 inch at the upper side of the engine to the firewall

mount1.jpg

here you see the cross member the red lines would be an idea to extend the front sub frame with 5 mm sheet metal and make a box to support the oem mount on..

I hope you get my idea here as it is not a very clear from the picture.

Nice swap, and a decent motor.

FWIW, the S62 engine in my E39 M5 was probably the only thing in the car that didn't fail or break. That car was ALWAYS in the shop, which is why I sold it after only 3 years and 30k miles. The engine unit itself seems to be fairly dependable, but forget about the trans and clutch they used in the factory car.

As luck would have it, I've got a BMW M70 sitting on a stand in my garage just looking for a project. The goal right now is to figure out a traditional trans for it, but the famous Chelle is a tough woman to get in touch with! Maybe I'll give up on front-engine/rear-drive, slap on a G50, and find a mid-engine chassis to put it in...

Cheers, John

Nice swap, and a decent motor.

but forget about the trans and clutch they used in the factory car.

As luck would have it, I've got a BMW M70 sitting on a stand in my garage just looking for a project. The goal right now is to figure out a traditional trans for it, but the famous Chelle is a tough woman to get in touch with! Maybe I'll give up on front-engine/rear-drive, slap on a G50, and find a mid-engine chassis to put it in...

Cheers, John

in Europe they all came with a getrag manual 6 so that might work for the m70 aswel.

However i like the 8 and 10's better (ultimate swap would be de v10 :) ) ooh well first lets get this thing rolling!!

They are less complex then a m70 and as powerful as the 12s, plus there is more after market ...

So the 12's .. tempting but i decided to not use them, given that front sump that i figured to be a problem is really not that much of an issue in a s130 as it seems.

Interesting in your story is that i hear allot of problems with bmw's in the states .. Europe i dont .. my bmw's have all held up great!

Would Emission crap make that they are extra failing ?

teaser hazy sorry (welding smoke i guess) and they bay is still filled with crap that will be removed tomorrow.

the engine is tilted a bit but that will sort out once the mounts are made .. this is the engine with the getrag 6 on it in mostly the location it will be in

bmw_v8.jpg

haha well thank for that Tony ..

De nada, mi amigo!

I told all! It was funny to hear you say that.

At least I didn't say anything about 'a new dimension in pain' and the fetal position...:coollook:

I was "bitched" out of getting the seats and door panels from the 60 Corvair today. Between them not wanting to sell the parts separately at Ecology, and flack I got from even mentioning I was at a junkyard, it just became a worthless day.

Now, I look forward to Abu Dhabi as a welcome release from hell.:icon50:

Ok the mounts are made of 3mm sheet metal

26072008703.jpg

26072008705.jpg

It is fairly forward in the bay but still slightly back from the L6.. the engine is noticeable lighter as the car is high up in front ( easily corrected with the coil overs )

So the weight distribution should be fairly ok

more backwards would mean fabricating an new cross member and i don't know if it really would do that much!

engine_mount1.jpg

26072008716.jpg

up to the tranny mount !!! ;)

Looks Good Frank!

I even sent it on to Herr Hekendorf who I'm sure will approve...

And to think I was upset that I missed Ted Nugent in Zaragosa whilst I was in Spain, and then in Amsterdam and some other place in Holland that very weekend I left...ON TOP of missing your invite to the Nurburgring AND NOW realizing that there are Dutchies that are Infected like I am (http://www.tednugent.nl/) makes me even MORE upset at not just 'claiming vacation' against the wife's ire and just taking in a few shows and checking out the progress as well as gul;ping down a couple gallons of Dutch Beer at a Loud Concert where I know all the words...

And I really have to wonder if the Rhetoric is toned down while in Amsterdam...This makes me as curious as I am to see the car in person now...and maybe coordinate a Concert Trip in this as well!

Z's, Nugent, and Beer...What more could I ask for? I could die and be happy...

Back to my Reality in Abu Dhabi...

The Nuge!!! Rarely do I find a character that I enjoy hating so much as he; we happen to have the same birthday (December 13th, Dick van Dyke does too) and about half of what he says I wanna scream at him for, and the other half seems like simple nature.

As for his music, again, I find it a great example of a genre I typically find distasteful in general; I love listening to him (stranglehold.. I mean.. stranglehold!!!) but most of the other big-hair, big-chord power guitar groups fall outside my tastes.

Tony, has anyone ever told you that they would love to have your problems? ;)

the number 28 is often associated with z28's- which came with v8s.

and the number 28 has an 8 in it, and so does v8.

and so does your zee car.

cilindro.gif

Yah, See!!! his argument has you in a stranglehold....

(okay that one was reaching)

And you know his face looks like a Maserati, a Maserati, it's fast it's hot it's a Maserati, Maserati...it's a FAST one too! That thing's TURBOCHARGED! Got Fuel Injection... Buff it up buff it up buff it up, yeah it's shiny now! It's time to put the old Maserati away, you look for a garage.......you think you see a garage? Hey, waitaminit, the damn thing's open! Get it in there---YEAAAAAH! Wango Tango...

This will continue until my funds arrive. You need my routing numbers herr poll?

Ted Nugent is a V8 guy, just like you Frank! He likes shooting guns...Just like you and Tyson, Frank. See, you two are the same...(Think vigilante scene in the back room of the Surplus Store in 'Falling Down') You are the same... Zyklon B...