HybridZ

ZXR .. Super turbo prosponed BMW V8 planned

frank280zx

That looks like it has turned out to be a good swap choice Frank, nice find. Will that rubber doughnut tailshaft connector at the back of the gearbox stand up to the stress which will be involved?

Not really a BMW fan myself, prefer Jap engines and the LS series. But for what you are doing, parts availability and aftermarket support is everything so the Bimmer donk makes sense.

Hope it all comes up to expectations, your vehicle choice is spot on.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will that rubber doughnut tailshaft connector at the back of the gearbox stand up to the stress which will be involved?

When Porsche Turbocharged the 917, none of the currently available CV joints would handle the torque an 1100HP 5 Liter Flat-12 would put out, so they devised a novel solution for the axles: tub within a tube using rubber as a bonding agent between them to take up both torsional loads, as well as axle axial length change.

To this day, smaller Formula Cars run similar doughnuts on their Halibrand Gearboxes to the axles, which incidentally are the same couplings sold for coupling 200HP Sullair Screw Compressors to their Electric Motors.

Not only is the 280ZX lighter than the M5 it once was in, the traction control likely will not be incorporated so likely the tires will slip well before the driveshaft cou0pling experiences anything near failure stresses.

If it was good enough on an M5 (and for the current generations of 240SX's as well...) it should handle service in a ZX with aplomb.

• 1 year later...

I am speculating about a BMW motor in a Z as well. In canada however the 1997 740iL I am looking at had an automatic transmission.

I do like the idea of 280 german Hp in an s30. But it is doubtful that I can find a manual transmission on this side of the pond.

Have you considered the problems that the anti-theft may give? How would you solve that issue? I heard that some motors will not allow you to start them without some code or magic words and incantations. Is that a difficult issue to overcome?