HybridZ

u joint removal

Guest dat73sun

Guest dat73sun

im trying to replace my u joint on a 71 240 z half shaft. i already removed the clips but am now at a loss. i dont know how to remove the caps to get the u joint out. has anyone done this before or know of a good link that can show me how to do this?? the half shaft is the driver side one off of a 180 differential. im going to replace it with the stronger spicer u joint from MSA. i just cant remove it! how do i do this???

You can use a big vice to press them out, using appropriately sized chunk of pipe (or socket wrenches). It can be pretty difficult to do, and if I hadn't seen it done, I'm not sure I would have tried. You have to press one side inward to press out the cap on the other side to get the old ones out. Pressing the new ones in is pretty easy.

Now I use a press I bought from Harbor Freight, which makes the job a bit easier: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

Regards,

Bill in San Diego

Guest dat73sun

yeah i thought you would have to press them in and out. I dont know about the trick you suggested, sounds very iffy! i will however go and buy that press you recommended! i appreciate the help!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33497

well worth the cost if you have the room

if you were closer Id suggest running them by the shop, here, but since I see your in Kalifornia, you can take them to a local machine shop, most charge about $10 to remove and $10 to install each u-joint PLUS the cost of the new U-joints

on a corvette theres 6 u-joints (two on each half shaft and two on the drive shaft) so buying a decent press is a no brainer, as it costs $130 on sale, (HF) and just the machine shop charges are almost $128 alone before you buy the u-joints. and I own 3 vettes so I bought a cheap 12 ton press years ago.

BTW

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

these work ok, but once you use a decent press youll soon see the extra cost of a hydrolic press is well worth it if you do this type of repair frequently.....andf you will if you race a high hp car with an independent rear

I was using a 20 ton press when I did my 82 half shaft. They were really in there. One of them caused almost an explosion when it let loose.

Parts went every where.

The next one I did I took to a diesel place cost me $15 for both joints that I provided.

Mind you I was not using heat or penetrating oil. Sounded like a gun shot, was surprised that I did not bend the yoke.

Guest dat73sun

I was looking at the different parts at autozone online and i saw a side note that said you cant replace the U-joints in a pre-1975 Z?? thay said you HAVE to buy the whole half shaft. This sounds like another clever trick to make me spend more money but i want to be sure. remember my z is a 1971 with a normal 180 rearend and stock half shafts. so what you all are saying is yes they can be removed from the half shafts and only replace the u-joint right??? i just want to be sure i dont mess anything up and do it right the first time.

I was looking at the different parts at autozone online and i saw a side note that said you cant replace the U-joints in a pre-1975 Z?? thay said you HAVE to buy the whole half shaft. This sounds like another clever trick to make me spend more money but i want to be sure. remember my z is a 1971 with a normal 180 rearend and stock half shafts. so what you all are saying is yes they can be removed from the half shafts and only replace the u-joint right??? i just want to be sure i dont mess anything up and do it right the first time.

Yes, it’s the 1974 and earlier driveshafts that have the replaceable U-joints. The 1975 and up driveshafts require that the u-joints be machined out on a milling machine. This is standard practice on most 1975 and up Nissan driveshafts.