HybridZ

Paint Ideas.

Ferrariferg

Personally I've never really liked a stripe on a Z. There are a couple cars I have seen pull it off, but for the most part it doesn't suit me.

It is, of course, personal opinion, so whatever you think would look good. You can always do some photoshopping beforehand to see if you like it.

• 2 weeks later...
what exactly do you want, I can shop it for you when I can find a spare moment???

Just put down what you want on the car, color, flares CF hood etc....

I would really appreciate that. My current ideas are: Candy Red, Gloss Black, Red with Black stripes, Or Blue with White or Silver stripes. Here is a picture of the kind of stripes I want. But I want them spaced out to match the lines of the hood. I also like the small accenting line on the sides of the stripes.

Copy_of_Our_cobra_at_the_diner.jpg

ShelbyCobra.jpg

DSCF4084.JPG

What about this with black stripes? (along with black trim, wheels, and dark tint)

As I get on more black trim it looks better and better. Cant wait to get wheels and tint. :)

Very nice. But not my style. I'm an old school kind of guy. I love gobs of chrome and bright colored paint jobs.

A little bit on racing stripes:

They were popularized in part by the Gordon Bennet Cup, Grand Prix, and FIA rules in the early 20th century and came on strong in the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the color schemes and stripes / patterns denoted the country of origin of the car's owner or racing team. The late '60s and early '70s saw sponsorship colors take hold and push out national colors in most racing disciplines.

That's why there are so many red Ferraris, Alfas, and Maseratis. Ditto green and yellow Jaguars, Aston Martins, Lotus(Lotii?), and BRMs. Same for silver BMWs, Mercedes, and Porsches(actually, they're supposed to be white, but to reduce weight in the '30s, some cars were left in bare aluminum, and it stuck). U.S. colors at the time were blue over white...which you see on Cunningham C4-Rs, Shelby Cobras, GT40s, Mustang GT 350s and a number of other '60s era U.S. cars.

There's a bit of folklore about the direction and placement of stripes and their origin. Tread with caution on this next part.

Supposedly an offset stripe would help track workers (especially on a track hosting a race in the LeMans series, with many cars and teams coming from all over the world, in a variety of configurations) locate the driver in event of a rollover.

Another benefit of an offset stripe supposedly is that being down the driver's line of sight, it will give them a subconscious reference of the vehicle's orientation on the track, especially in a spinout or when transitioning quickly across the surface.

Supposedly Briggs Cunningham was the first to apply a longitudinal stripe to a racing vehicle, with the Cunningham C2 in 1951.

Japanese national colors are an off-white with a red 'meatball' and black numbers. I wasn't about to slap a giant hinomaru on my Z, so I took a little license and did this instead:

painted_front.jpg

painted_rear.jpg

I stopped the stripe short on the hatch, since I'll get a spoiler on there eventually and I didn't want a stripe sticking out underneath it, and the stripe doesn't go all the way down the front, either. Purely my personal opinion, but the Z doesn't lend itself to full length stripes the way other cars do.

Datsun had a factory longitudinal stripe on the Z in the form of the ZZZap! package:

1.jpg

In the end, it's your car and the colors & style of stripe should suit your taste.

zaplf_thumb.jpg