HybridZ

Poor 350z's

jakeoster

350z's are under represented on this forum. I was shocked to only see one post in this section seeing as theres a lot of people that come to this forum haha. And its not even concerning a 350z. My question is does anyone have any pics or anything on hybrid 350z's? I.E. RB powered 350z etc.

• Administrators

My guess is the Z-33 is still such a new car, used ones still have quite a bit of their original value, as such, the owners most likely aren't as willing to just yank out the VQ and stuff an RB, LSx etc under the hood. I think the SR20DE is a popular swap in Japan?...

10 years ago a Hybrid-Z-32 was unheard of, still really not a whole lot of them compared to the Hybrid S-30's, but we are seeing more and more, (can't wait to do one myself...)

I suspect in the next 5-7 years we'll start to see the Z-33 with other engines under the hood. LSx-T-56 would be SAH-WEEEET!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention the fact that the Z33 has a fairly decent powertrain as it is and it's still building aftermarket for that.

SR20's are probably popular for power-limited classes where you can squeeze it outta the 2.0 and gain weight savings, but I know I would rather turbo a 3.5 in that (larger/heavier) chassis than spending so much swapping another motor.

As as the above poster said, there are lots of 350Z forums. I'd love to have 1/10th of the aftermarket support that a VQ/Z33 setup has.

I have a 350z and I love it. :)

I have to ask though why would any body swap the motor???

I could see the demand for a V8... which several people have done on my 350z with LS1's. But other then that the vq is a excellent motor capable of huge numbers. I would take one over a RB ANYDAY. its lightweight, has a huge aftermarket, and you can get parts right around the corner. There are plenty of 350zs cruising around with 600hp.

I owned a 350z with greedy twin turbo kit and up grades(fuel return system duel 3" exaust and bigger plenum and injectors pushing 11 pounds of boost I got 510 hp. stock internals and I beat the crap out of it... honestly the vq motor is awsome I have ls1 for my datsn but if I hadnt bought the ls1 id be going vq twin turbo the motor is just plain mean when forced.

The VQ35 is a great motor but not in stock form. It needs upgraded rods and pistons past 400RWHP. That's about the safe limit and even then you are on borrowed time. The tranny's aren't great but they are better now, they have been revised a few times and most of the issues have been fixed. You are pretty safe if you have an 05+ tranny. The ones before that have been upgraded to the newer tranny if you have had to have yours replaced.

I love the sound of a boosted 350Z! It just sounds mean and fast! Of course after seeing that 350Z with the GTO motor, it would be hard not to like that too!

Guy

The transmissions were a problem in some situations until the 009 revision which came on the 2006 models. There's a TSB on the earlier trans which get upgrades synchros. The 009 tranny has triple cone synchros on 1st through 3rd, double on 4th and single on 5th and 6th.

We don't even rebuild that tranny. If the syncros take a dump on one of the gears it gets a whole new tranny. The guys who do rebuild them say they are a nightmare, lots of parts that can be put in wrong and look like they are in right. The instructors at the Nissan training center don't even recommend opening up one of these trannys because unless you absolutly know what you are doing you will screw it up and you will not make flat rate on them! LOL

Guy

• 5 weeks later...
We don't even rebuild that tranny. If the syncros take a dump on one of the gears it gets a whole new tranny. The guys who do rebuild them say they are a nightmare, lots of parts that can be put in wrong and look like they are in right. The instructors at the Nissan training center don't even recommend opening up one of these trannys because unless you absolutly know what you are doing you will screw it up and you will not make flat rate on them! LOL

Guy

Spoken like a true mechanic! I know you are :)

• 1 year later...
350z's are under represented on this forum. I was shocked to only see one post in this section seeing as theres a lot of people that come to this forum haha. And its not even concerning a 350z. My question is does anyone have any pics or anything on hybrid 350z's? I.E. RB powered 350z etc.

I'm on a lot of Z33 forums, and even then there's hardly a hybrid 350z. Most of them build on the VQ engine and focus on the internals.

Go to a 350z forum, there are alot of them.

Not really. :mrgreen: A few but not a lot.

I have a 350Z bone stock daily driver and I love the car. There is really no need to do a hybrid swap in a 350Z (sorry if this statement goes against the HybridZ rules).

Properly built, the VQ35 can make over 1200WHP. At Z Days this year there was a 350Z drag race car that put over 900HP to the wheels on the "low boost" setting. The owner say it will make over 1200HP on full boost. He was running some sort of automatic transmsission.

I've tuned a number of 350Z with turbo/SC kits installed, and 380-400WHP on stock internals is doable as long as it is tuned correctly (and safely). A 380WHP 350Z is crazy fast, and has the chassis to handle it.

So why hack up a 350Z to replace such great engine with such potential (I'm in no way against swaps, I'm doing an RB25 swap in a 240Z now)?

Pete

I have a 350Z bone stock daily driver and I love the car. There is really no need to do a hybrid swap in a 350Z (sorry if this statement goes against the HybridZ rules).

Properly built, the VQ35 can make over 1200WHP. At Z Days this year there was a 350Z drag race car that put over 900HP to the wheels on the "low boost" setting. The owner say it will make over 1200HP on full boost. He was running some sort of automatic transmsission.

I've tuned a number of 350Z with turbo/SC kits installed, and 380-400WHP on stock internals is doable as long as it is tuned correctly (and safely). A 380WHP 350Z is crazy fast, and has the chassis to handle it.

So why hack up a 350Z to replace such great engine with such potential (I'm in no way against swaps, I'm doing an RB25 swap in a 240Z now)?

Pete

I did one of the first GReddy TT kits on my 350 some while ago. Yeah, they respond well to boost and hold up with appropriate tuning. Why change? Cause we can! :mrgreen:

• 4 months later...