HybridZ

3800/T5 swap started

twalton

Cooling- radiator from a mid 80's camaro 4 cyl.; fits right between the frame rails;added a 16" electric cooling fan; Have had no problems w/cooling even in stalled traffic on a 95 degree day(stock l36 camaro rad.is too wide)

Driveshaft- had a custom shaft made(approx. $300 w/ all new parts,etc.) Used the rear pinion adapter to allow for full size,replaceable U-joints for reliability.) Any reputable D-shaft shop can do this for you.

Clutch- used a 13/16th Tilton clutch master cylinder(bought off E-bay reasonably)

Had a local hydraulic supply shop adapt the Tilton cylinder to the stock line coming from the camaro hydraulic TOB( $20) (The 3.8 camaros use an internal hydraulic TOB instead of a slave cylinder on the outside of the trans. bellhousing)

As w/ any swap brakes could be left stock(IF IN GOOD SHAPE). Since this swap results in less weight than most v-8 swaps brakes prob. could be addressed later. This swap is not that hard if you can do a little welding. I have a lil Lincoln 110v welder that was ok for the brackets,etc. The wiring for the FI required a little sorting out but isnt that bad if you can read a wiring diagram and ECU pinout schematic.I would highly recommend finding a complete 3.8 camaro or firebird and get everything you can possibly use when you are pulling. (enine,trans,shifter,engine wiring harness/fuse block,etc.) If you are installing in a FI datsun the stock external fuel pump should be ok; otherwise you will need to address the fuel pump issue.If some of the aforementioned tasks seem insurmountable then by all means consider a swap that has more documentation and parts support and can have questions answered by the knowledgeable members of this site. And BTW, I dont mind the questions at all.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to start a thread (and I may shortly, I've got PLENTY of initial pictures). As for mine, I picked up a series II engine and transmission from a 2002 Camaro (the guy I bought it from told me that it only had 30k miles on it). I've already sold the transmission, since it was a 700R4 and I want the T-5 or the T-56. Since the engine is an f-body motor, it has the electronic throttle body, so I'm going to have to find a cable throttle body. I've read many places that the Cadillac NorthStar throttle body works exceptionally well as long as you calibrate your PCM with the N* MAF sensor. I'll be running stock heads (N/A) and intake, with plans for a turbo. As for the motor mounts, I'm having my father fabricate a custom cross memeber that I'll use to attach the stock Camaro motor mounts, that way I'll still be able to use OEM mounts is I ever need to replace them. I just need to fit the engine, take some dimensions, and make the CAD drawing for the cross member. It will be nice doing this install parallel to yours, Calico. You can be sure that I'll be pining you with all sorts of questions.

i can get you a series II cable controlled thriottle body. the 97 models have em. I'm very interested in seeing your crossmember!!

Absolutely I'm interested! I've been looking on eBay, but so far, it has only been hit and miss. Go ahead and message me and let me know what you want for it, if you are able to round one up. As for the cross member, I'll post some CAD drawings as I get the appropriate dimensions and them drawn up.

That sounds awesome. It might be easiest to pay you through paypal (if you've got an account), but we can work something else out if you don't. As for the throttle cables, I expect that I'll make a bracket that mounts where the ignition coil pack bracket was (on the driver-side head). I'll have a clearer idea once I've got the throttle body mounted.

Edit: I was just under the hood of my Z and I saw what you were referring to when you asked me about the throttle cable. The question becomes "Am I going to use any of the existing mechanical linkage, or am I going to rerun an entirely new cable set up?" This is a good question. I think that it may be easiest to run a new set up and abandon the existing mechanical linkage all together. I'll use some generic cable (like this one) to pass through the fire wall. When it comes to the pedal, I haven't had a good enough look at the pedal to decide how it will attach at the pedal end. I'll try and get a plan this week though.

Edited by benton

hey inbox me an offer i can get you the throttle body 2moro if ud like. I think i am just gonna see how the stock l36 cables fit or ill try some out of some other cars in the yard. what you gonna do for cooling, i cant find that fbody rad for my life

hey inbox me an offer i can get you the throttle body 2moro if ud like. I think i am just gonna see how the stock l36 cables fit or ill try some out of some other cars in the yard. what you gonna do for cooling, i cant find that fbody rad for my life

I don't have access to the stock rad. so I'm I'm going to use an after market radiator (we've had a LOT of success with aluminum Griffin radiators in the past). Maybe something like this. One thing I do have access to is a machinist (my father), so I'll just have him fab. some mounts for me if I need them.

By the way, I sent a PM.

Edited by benton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...