HybridZ

Pics of my supercharged L-28

dum-bass

Yes, it is a fuel management unit that is designed to work in tandem with your stock fuel pressure regulator. The one from Motorsport Auto will not work because it in not adjustable into boost. You can find em all over the place like Summit racing, Superchargersonline.com, Ebay. I think I saw one recently that was an all in one unit so you dont need the stock regulator but it was about $100. more.

Thanks for that can now add that to my list of what I need...

so far

L28 and stock ECU have this bit

M-90

Mounting brackets, piping

FMU

Intercooler

Header

Pulleys

anything else I should put on my list?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that can now add that to my list of what I need...

so far

L28 and stock ECU have this bit

M-90

Mounting brackets, piping

FMU

Intercooler

Header

Pulleys

anything else I should put on my list?

Yes, a really good book on the subject like SUPERCHARGED by Corkey Bell if you don't already have one.

• 2 weeks later...
One more thing you need is a blow off valve. From my research if you do not have one you will blow your intercooler piping apart during motor braking. Found this on a TR6 supercharger upgrade.

If you try to do a blow through system with a roots supercharger then yes you will blow the pipes apart. I tried that first with my system and it didn't work too well having to reattach the pipes all the time, plus it was really noisy but I can see where a blowoff valve would work there. After changing to a draw through system, I never had a problem blowing the pipes apart and it was quiet! a much better way to go.

BOV necessity depends on what supercharger you use. With the GM M62 I have, it has a bypass valve built into the supercharger itself (actually like a throttle butterfly) which works off a vacuum acuator (which I think is hooked up via vacuum hose to the intake manifold). With this hooked up, you should only get boost under acceleration, when manifold vacuum is low. When vacuum is high (constant speed, deacceleration), it pulls the actuator and bypass valve open.

I have ordered my SUPERCHARGED by Corkey Bell book and it should arrive in the next couple of days.

I'm thinking of going with a M90 from a Thunderbird Super Coupe or Grand Prix GTP as these appear to have the bypass valve built into them and can be had at reasonable price over there (at least ½ the price including shipping as here).

The rebuild is finally done! I have lots of pics but first I want to say, being more of an American muscle car guy in the past, this has been without a doubt the most difficult engine rebuild I have ever done. Months of tracking down nonexisting or no longer available parts, buying supposed "RACE" parts from EBAY just to find out they are bogus, hacking it out with my machinist about clearances, deck height, and everything else, having to fabricate everything because nobody makes parts for this car anymore, or hey! spend $500. on a friggin timing chain setup? Get the F&%# outahere with that bull@#&*!! I will just make it!!! A year or more of studying up on this L-28 and supercharging. Hey, I'm black and blue over this project and run into problems at every turn with this thing! Also I have all kinds of brand new left over parts such as; pistons, rings, gaskets, intercooler, cam and other crap.

IMG_0473_thumb.JPG

IMG_0474_thumb.JPG

IMG_0455_thumb.JPG

IMG_0475_thumb.JPG

IMG_0478_thumb.JPG

Got my Corky Bell Book and was disappointed on no blow through carb info and not enough info on distributor modifications. I guess my Z is just tooooooooooo old. The book is still well worth the price for all of the rest of the info that is in it. I was really looking for information on distributor mods; right now I am planning on running a stock 280zx distributor only running the centripetal advance and removing the vacuum advance.

If you are going to drink, you must drink fast around here.

you know the saying when working 'round the house or the cars....

"tighten one, drink one, tap one, drink one, grease one, drink one..." and so on

looks like it's taking a while if the snail got to the first drink.

That is a good one LOL! I have never heard that one but I will take it under advisement!

you know the saying when working 'round the house or the cars....

"tighten one, drink one, tap one, drink one, grease one, drink one..." and so on

looks like it's taking a while if the snail got to the first drink.

Got my Corky Bell Book and was disappointed on no blow through carb info and not enough info on distributor modifications. I guess my Z is just tooooooooooo old. The book is still well worth the price for all of the rest of the info that is in it. I was really looking for information on distributor mods; right now I am planning on running a stock 280zx distributor only running the centripetal advance and removing the vacuum advance.

Oh man, I didn't know you were goin with a carb but from what I understand, It is actually easier to dial a carb in as long as you are jetted to take on more fuel. I,ve seen other guys on this site use a Holly 4 bbl carb but they were draw thru systems. As far as the distributor, I think you want to retain the vaccum advance and slow down the centrifical advance curve while also cutting back on the base timing as necessary to stay out of detonation. There is alot of info on this out there...