HybridZ

Can it be the fuel injectors that sounds so bad?

Hello!

Im going to buy a datsun 240z. I got a little video of the engine going and heard this bad sound. The owner of the 240z says its the Injectors that "knocks" (sounds bad)

There has been a good valve justment so its not the valves that sound bad.

Its a 280zx engine swap as you can se in this movie under here.

Hope you can hear the sound!

Movie: http://www.garaget.org/video/ibw6h6afrhby

Thanks alot

//RaGnaR RattmuFF

sounds like injectors...only seems to make the sound at low duty cycle....my car sounds like that on video also, as soon as the revs/duty cycle increases the sound goes away....mine was made worse by the solid fuel line fixed to the bulkhead...inside the car it sounds like a worn engine.

Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak, probably between the manifold and head. If you listen through a rubber hose and move the other end around the engine compartment you should be able to pinpoint the source.

Steve

sounds like injectors...only seems to make the sound at low duty cycle....my car sounds like that on video also, as soon as the revs/duty cycle increases the sound goes away....mine was made worse by the solid fuel line fixed to the bulkhead...inside the car it sounds like a worn engine.

So it could either be the injectors or some simple leak some where. I havnt bought the 240z yet but i shall go and look for it soon. Just whanted your oppinion about the sound.

Thanks alot!

I've never heard injectors sound like that.. Pull the valve cover check the valve adjustment.. and look at the inside of the front of the valve cover for marks that the timing chain has been hitting it. See if all rockers and springs are on.. Is the oil full?? Open oil fill cap with engine running, oil should be flying around..

I've heard my injectors get really loud at times in the past, and it sounds an awful lot like this... but listen for the sound with a piece of tubing or a screwdriver set between your ear and the base of each injector. The only way I would be confident it was injector noise was if I could confirm that through direct observation; if you hear injector noise that does not coincide with that ticking, then it can't be the injectors.

Hearing it rev higher would make it easier for me to say it was the injectors.. because in my experience, the noise was far less pronounced at higher RPMs than at idle. The minimal throttle tap in the video wasn't very high.. Valve noise or anything seriously problematic would be more exaggerated at higher RPMs.

I've heard my injectors get really loud at times in the past, and it sounds an awful lot like this... but listen for the sound with a piece of tubing or a screwdriver set between your ear and the base of each injector. The only way I would be confident it was injector noise was if I could confirm that through direct observation; if you hear injector noise that does not coincide with that ticking, then it can't be the injectors.

Hearing it rev higher would make it easier for me to say it was the injectors.. because in my experience, the noise was far less pronounced at higher RPMs than at idle. The minimal throttle tap in the video wasn't very high.. Valve noise or anything seriously problematic would be more exaggerated at higher RPMs.

Shall go and look for it probably tomorrow. The owner believe the camera maximised the bad sound. It doesn't sound that bad irl. Thanks alot for your help :D what should i do with out you all hybridZ peoples :D

Shall go and look for it probably tomorrow. The owner believe the camera maximised the bad sound. It doesn't sound that bad irl. Thanks alot for your help :D what should i do with out you all hybridZ peoples :D

I was going to ask about that possibility; the injector sound I remember IS the sort of noise that could get amplified like that. I cannot say what may cause this injector noise, and I would consider it something worth addressing in the future, but it never effected my car as a dumpy daily driver.

Glad to help; I would still HIGHLY recommend confirming the diagnosis yourself before exchanging money. It IS a rather alarming sound and I think it may be OK... but I may be wrong. I cannot hear it firsthand myself.