HybridZ

Titan Engine

ArmyZ

OK everyone, I've seen some posts, but nothing definitive. Anything stopping from putting a 5.6 into a 280zx? Ive got an engine, tranny, pcm, and wiring harness lined up for $1500, and a bunch of people helping me. Please gimme some answers, oh gods of the Z!

OK everyone, I've seen some posts, but nothing definitive. Anything stopping from putting a 5.6 into a 280zx? Ive got an engine, tranny, pcm, and wiring harness lined up for $1500, and a bunch of people helping me. Please gimme some answers, oh gods of the Z!

you should post this type of question in the v8 section.

• Administrators

This is borderline tool shed fodder for sure…

What exactly do want from us? Your question in its most general vague sense is one only you can answer!

1) Yes it can be done!

2) How hard it is to do depends on the installers fabrication competence level, imagination, and resourcefulness.

3) How much it will cost depends on how much you are willing to spend vs how much time you are willing to devote, how much you are willing to scrounge and DIY!

Once you get a grasp on these;

1) Determine your goals of the vehicle; Daily driver, street strip, track day, fair weather only, etc?

2) How much time are you willing to invest in a Hybrid project?

3) How long are willing to be without your car during the conversions, (then double that for a realistic time frame)

4) Budget willing to put forth to get the car on the road?

...then we can get down to the nitty gritty details such a possible engine mount isolators for a daily driver or race car, what manual or automatic transmission for the intended usage of the car, etc are areas we can help.

If you can't put answers to these questions, then you are NOT ready for such an undertaking..

Good luck,

Paul

I didn't mean about the installation or whatnot of the titan, just of engines that have been installed and some of the awesome fabrication guys have done, which would be a sort of inspiration towards the titan install. Should have been more specific. :-D

I figured BSD, I was just being a smart a$$. lol

ArmyZ, bring out your tapemeasure and just get some rough measurements to see how it will fit. Most likely it will fit pretty nice. The biggest thing you have to worry about is getting it mounted and your driveline angles. What power you plan to push through the car will depend of what rear end you'll go with. At the minimum the R200.

Just be patient, and do it right and you'll have a one of a kind swap.

Good luck.

well i just needed to know if there was something that would make it completely impossible. i've never attempted anything like this at all, but being in a maintenance company, i have a lot of friends that can help with every part of the install. thanks so much for all the input!

The only thing I can think of that would make it completely impossible is lack of skill among you and your friends, or lack of money in order to buy the needed tools or parts.

Main contact points to look out for:

1) Steering linkage. Solution = Custom/Modified headers

2) Oil pan->cross member. Solution = Modified oil pan/Dry sump or Custom X-member.

3) Frame Rails, Might have contact issues with some acessories or manifolds. Solution = Modified brackets, and custom exhaust manifolds.

Those should be the main hurdles you could encounter.

If you know someone with the skill, idealy you can tube frame the front of the car. That will give you maximum clearence to get the engine as low and far back as possible. That's a bit over the top for most people's wallet though.