HybridZ

Looking for a F54 short block

Project_240

Like the topic says.. I am looking to locate a F54 Short block, I am sore 90% of you arleady know... it is from the L28ET in the early 80's. I am located in NY but am willing to pay for shipping or travel a little if it is somewhat near by.

thanks

Just the block? Why F54?

Oh man, ok, PLEASE read and research before you go much farther.

I have been reading about these setups for a long time.. and have a pretty good idea of what is involved.. obviously there is alwasy thing unaccounted for.. but it is a big project.. money and time .. thats why i want to build it seporate from the car so i can still use it while the engine is being built... the car won't be sitting while my engine takes months to build..

there is a good write up about what is involved..

http://www.zhome.com/rnt/3.1HanveyProject.htm

There were non turbo cars.. and they used the N42 block.. and through my research. they say that the F54 block being the turbo block had reinforcements between the cylinders...

A Nissan technician and rebuilder told me that in-between each cylinder, in the water jackets, they cast an extra re-enforcing near the center of each bore. This was designed to strengthen the block in anticipation of the added stress of the turbo

False.

Ok, the N42's are a full siamesed block. The F54 has CUT OUTS in that siamesed section, to allow water to flow through, for better cooling, but the 54 block is weaker. If you have an N42, use that. BTW even the NA 81-83's had F54 blocks, not just turbos.

the F54 vs N42 block goes way back, bottom line either can be built to handle lots of power, the F54 is only divided between the 2-3 and 4-5, every pair of cylinders is saimeased together, the F54 used to be thought of as superior and was the exclusive choice of high HP builds but in the past few years the N42 has gained favor, over they years both have been built sucessfully to power levels beyond what most of us will ever see

You can use either block to build your motor. If you are going to do a stroker and bore to 89mm, I would use the N42. If you plan on building a hot 2.8L NA, the F54 will work just fine. A friend of mine builds his SCCA GT2 2.8 L28 motors using F54 blocks only. These are 15:1+ CR, dry sump, etc. etc. So the F54 is a strong block if not over bored. Plenty strong for all NA applications and just about all turbo builds.

For an 89mm bore, the F54 is TONS weaker than the 42. I can take a video of me sonic testing each block, if ya want??? :)

well i guess since the everyone has the same thought the sonic testing wouln't be necessary..

so the 42 block is on the L28?

basically my plan is to go 3.1 w/ 10:1 or so compression..

any recomendations?