HybridZ

Newbie ?'s

First off I just want to say that I've been lurking and researching for a about a month and love this site. I'm new to Z's altogether and just bought a 260z that I've started a V8 swap in. I'm a full time mechanic and have been tinkering with SBC's on and off for 10 or so years so hopefully I won't pester you guys with endless questions about nothing. However I have a few questions and observations after a weekend of chopping metal.

1. How well do these cars handle compared to say an older chevy and will a lack of power steering be a problem with a v8?

2. How fast will JTR ship to the east coast?

3. And finally I just want to pass along that I think this thing has the smallest gas tank I have ever seen!! You all must have to stop like every hour or so when your out cruising!

1) Not sure if you have an early or late model 260z but I know the late model gas tanks hold at least 17 gallons of gas. A well-tuned V8 will run 300+ miles on that - on the highway.

2) Depends on what you're looking for in the "handling". If you're talking about cornering, braking, etc. - it will literally blow an old chevy away.

3) Lack of power steering with the V8 depends. I have an LS1 and it added no weight to ther front of the car. An iron block will add some weight but not a lot. Lack of power steering- even with the I6 - will definitely improve your upper body tone. It takes a bit of effor tin the parking lot but no problem on the highway.

This one has a build date of the 4th month I believe and the gas tank on this car looks like it would be a stretch to hold 10 gallons, of course looks can be deceiving sometimes. As far as the handling I've just read here and there that the suspension has its faults and I just wanted an opinion on it vs. what I'm used to driving as far as a car of that era is concerned. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the board.

I decided I wanted to run fuel injection for many reason, fuel economy being one. I have a stock '94 LT1 with a 4L60E overdrive automatic running through a 3.70 rear-end and get 18.5 mpg in town. I haven't taken it on a long enough trip to really determine highway mileage but it got 21.7 mpg on the only road trip I've done so far, 525 miles but that also included 5 runs on the drag strip. Of course the downside of the LT1 is it requires premium octane.

As far as drivability it reminds me of my buddy's 68 Z28 as far as steering goes. It fine once you're moving but parking lot turns will pick you out of the seat! I'm getting too old to deal with that much steering effort. I can't compare it to the stock 280Z since my car already had a V8 in it when I bought it. But the lighter setback LT1 in easier to steer that the Scarab style the car had before I did the swap. PS is on my future project list.

Welcome to the site. I've been driving my stock 280Z for about six years and I can tell you that they handle MUCH better than any of my late 60's and early 70's Camaro RS, El Camino, and Nova SS of that era (all SBC cars). Even with the manual steering which is only heavy at parking lot speeds, the car feels tight and stable at up to 140 MPH (which is as fast as my stock engine would take it). Compare that to any of my power steering equipped muscle cars that feel light and floaty anywhere above 90 MPH. However, it does not handle as well as cars on the road since the mid- to late 1990s or newer. So I guess it depends on what you're used to driving.

That being said, I am now converting it to a V8 Z and have about a 6-8 month head start on you on this site, and working with several Z V8 vendors. I don't have any seat time yet, but I am convinced that if you think out your conversion fully before you start, your Z will actually handle better when you're finished. You'll have to make your own list (and some guys on this site with more experience may rightly take issue with some of my choices) but here's what I've done/or plan to do for a car I plan to use on the street only.

- Upgrade front disc brakes to Toyota 4X4 pick-up ('79-85)

- Upgrade rear drums to Datsun 510 iron and add a proportioning valve

- Add a roll bar, rear strut tower brace, and front strut tower brace

- Add BadDog sub-frame connectors

- Switch to a Ron Tyler front differential mount

- Replace most of my bushings with Urethane (a few should stay rubber)

- Replace my shocks with Illunina adjustables

- Replace my springs with 175-200 Lb. (front-rear)

- Upgrade my stock front sway bar to the Summit 1 1/8" bar

- Relocate my battery to the rear cargo area

I've done the math, and my Z will be lighter than stock, much stronger, and a health SBC and 5-speed will make it a blast to drive. I don't know for sure that it will handle better, but it should at least handle as well. Your plan and list of upgrades may differ based on your goals and preferences, but at least this gives you some ideas, and fodder for many other opinions.

Good luck.

Steve