HybridZ

F20C swap pics

Z2000

Just got to the next phase and this time I made sure to start the thread in the right place.

These pics should be the final fit. After clearancing, moving, modding several things the engine is in where it belongs now. The plan is to start building mounts tomorrow.

These are crappy pics because they were taken with my phone

0722081549ari3.th.jpg

0722081548qs8.th.jpg

Cool how the shifter came up through the stock opening, AND the engine sits nice and close to the firewall. It's great when things work out that way, isn't it. A word of encouragement: the S2000 shifter action and feel are probably the best in the world! But you already know that, I'm sure.

Sweeeeeet. Nice to SEE some progress.

Are you going to be able to weigh the engine before final mounting? Even engine + trans numbers would be nice, if we knew exactly what was on and in the motor. (flywheel, clutch, alternator, water pump, power steering, AC, oil, water, etc.

Too many engine weights out there don't give those types of specs. If this swap ends up moving the weight farther back and lightens the car overall it could make for some nice driving characteristics. Though JohnC preaches that weight balance doesn't matter as much as we like to think, and I agree with him; but that doesn't mean you won't notice an improvement.

And 240 stock HP isn't bad. 240HP is HARD to achieve in the L series unless you're going to have head work done and run a decently loppy cam. Should scoot pretty good.

Thanks for the replys. I will be taking more pics, time is my biggest enemy right now so the pics and writeup probably wont be as detailed as you may want but I will do the best with the time I have.

Very interested at how well this goes. For this swap is one that i am thinking about doing in my Z. Do you plan on modifying the engine in any way?

I already have a set of busa ITB's to fab together for this engine but that is well down the road as well as headwork and proper cams. The goal right now is to get this thing on the road.

Cool how the shifter came up through the stock opening, AND the engine sits nice and close to the firewall. It's great when things work out that way, isn't it. A word of encouragement: the S2000 shifter action and feel are probably the best in the world! But you already know that, I'm sure.

Believe me it wasnt that close the first try. Had to move brake lines, fuel lines, modify the tunnel a bit, and remove the hood latch bracket and then it fit. And Im still going to have to modify the tunnel a bit more on the exhaust side because the exhaust manifold wont fit.

Today I was able to tack up the engine mounts and nearly complete the tranny X member. Just need to pull the engine back out so I can run all the welds on the engine mounts and I will probably be adding a couple gussets to the tranny X member for extra strength since its at a funny angle.

Here are todays pics.

micahspics066fd6.th.jpg

micahspics068di3.th.jpg

micahspics070vc7.th.jpg

Gollum,

Yes R160, these are very under rated to say the least. I have seen many R160's hold up just fine to 500 hp setups. My curb weight goal is 2,000 lbs. I have 15x7 Watanabe rims but havnt picked tires yet. If it breaks I will just have to cryo the next one haha:) R160 has minimal weight and drivetrain loss which makes it the right choice.

Flexicoker,

I sourced the rear end from a 01 subaru 2.5 automatic. Comes stock with 4.44 gears and lsd. The only thing i have to do is convert to snap in axles and everything else is good to go.

That looks like its its going to be an awesome build, I don't know how much you've looked into the N/A aftermarket for the F20C, but you could check out a guy named John Grudynski over at Hytech Performance or InlinePro around my neck of the woods. Hytech claimed a solid, bolt-on setup making 283whp on an F22C with 50mm Jenvey ITB's, Cams, retainers, springs, header, race cat, and dual 2.5in exhaust. The kits alittle on the expensive side but supposedly as impressive as the peak power is, the torque and powerband is supposed to be amazing. They had an article in Honda Tuning Aug issue. As far as InlinePro is though, they've gotta be at least the top 3 S2K shops in the country, right now they've got dyno results on a 300+ NA non-stroked F20C and they have a pile of record breaking S2K's in drag and circuit racing, and a GT35R 500+ whp kit on stock internals using a 3mm head gasket to get compression down to 9:1. If your looking for stroker power I hear (through a well established publication, not forum talk) that a F20C will perfectly fit a TSX K24A2 Crankshaft coupled with H22A internals making 2.4L, BrianCrower also makes a nice stroker kit, and I believe inlinePro has a few stroker kits as well.

Just my .02, the best of luck with your build, I'd love to see how it handled once you get everything worked out.

That looks like its its going to be an awesome build, I don't know how much you've looked into the N/A aftermarket for the F20C, but you could check out a guy named John Grudynski over at Hytech Performance or InlinePro around my neck of the woods. Hytech claimed a solid, bolt-on setup making 283whp on an F22C with 50mm Jenvey ITB's, Cams, retainers, springs, header, race cat, and dual 2.5in exhaust. The kits alittle on the expensive side but supposedly as impressive as the peak power is, the torque and powerband is supposed to be amazing. They had an article in Honda Tuning Aug issue. As far as InlinePro is though, they've gotta be at least the top 3 S2K shops in the country, right now they've got dyno results on a 300+ NA non-stroked F20C and they have a pile of record breaking S2K's in drag and circuit racing, and a GT35R 500+ whp kit on stock internals using a 3mm head gasket to get compression down to 9:1. If your looking for stroker power I hear (through a well established publication, not forum talk) that a F20C will perfectly fit a TSX K24A2 Crankshaft coupled with H22A internals making 2.4L, BrianCrower also makes a nice stroker kit, and I believe inlinePro has a few stroker kits as well.

Just my .02, the best of luck with your build, I'd love to see how it handled once you get everything worked out.

Thanks for the support!

I plan to keep away from the stroker cranks. My headwork alone will make the torque of a 2.2L without increasing piston speed and killing rpm potental. Shortly after the swap is done I plan to port the head, run custom cams (maybe hytech if he is willing to talk profiles with me) and valveterain, ITB's, and my own header. Im expecting over 300whp at high rpm on pump gas. But lets not get too ahead of ourselves, this is will be after the project is on the road.

I wanna see! lets meet up some time

Well, if you both show up to the August 30th meet... ;)

I just really hope by some magical event that this car is on the road by then. (just seems like there's still going to be so much left to do in such little time)

Today I ordered my AEM ems standalone!

Also picked up the extra stub shaft needed so I can send them in to get converted to snap in stubs.

Also went to "Battle of the Imports" at Sacramento Raceway. All motor fastest I saw was 9.4 @144mph and the fastest turbo was in the low 7's.

Killed a lot of birds with todays stone!