HybridZ

Aerodynamic impact of the drip rails on S30

The drip rails are an important part of the upper structure of the car. I would seriously reconsider "shaving" them unless you plan on a full cage for your car.

i was curious about their contribution to rigidity, so...i cut them off a parts car i had. as posted above, they are in fact the roof cap and 'a' pillars spot welded together. after i removed the roof, i found that there is still significant structure underneath. see the pic below

DSC06042.JPG

i'm confident that if terry o. is following this thread he'd chime in with his findings as his drip rails [if memory serves me correctly] are long gone. i think his documentation of the build highlights how he removed them a section at a time and stitch welded the material under and it worked just fine. i was surprised at how many pieces comprised the underlying structure. when [don't ask for a date...] i repaint my car my plan is drip rail removal. i believe it'll cut down on wind noise, allow better ventilation of the cockpit and look a bit cleaner [the real reason]. just my thoughts, not based on any scientific research.

my 2 cents...

Well, I'm not sure I'd really call just any FFR daytona couple replica a "race car", but that's certainly the emotion they're trying to evoke.

I've seen several in person, there's nothing back there to be sure.

Had I read this a few months ago, I could have asked brock why he designed it that way. I'm sure he would have gladly answered. But the key point I'm going to make here, is that when he had the chance to redesign the car for superperformance and give the car his update and stamp of aproval, he retained those scoops on the side. New daytona coupe from superperformance:

PB#1.jpg

So they obviously mean somthing. If they were for looks they'd probably be done in metal, and painted the color of the car. The fact they're clear plastic on most of these cars suggest to me that they're function over form.

They're not nearly as pretty as the scoops on the GT500.... Though those scoops don't have a function.

I'm kinda interested in seeing a S30 with taller metal pieces added to the drip rails. The image in my mind is pretty dorky.

Agreed. :-) Can you comment on Russ' A-Pillar pieces on the exterior?

The drip rails are an important part of the upper structure of the car. I would seriously reconsider "shaving" them unless you plan on a full cage for your car.

i was curious about their contribution to rigidity' date=' so...i cut them off a parts car i had. as posted above, they are in fact the roof cap and 'a' pillars spot welded together. after i removed the roof, i found that there is still significant structure underneath. see the pic below

[img']http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/medium/DSC06042.JPG[/img]

i'm confident that if terry o. is following this thread he'd chime in with his findings as his drip rails [if memory serves me correctly] are long gone. i think his documentation of the build highlights how he removed them a section at a time and stitch welded the material under and it worked just fine. i was surprised at how many pieces comprised the underlying structure. when [don't ask for a date...] i repaint my car my plan is drip rail removal. i believe it'll cut down on wind noise, allow better ventilation of the cockpit and look a bit cleaner [the real reason]. just my thoughts, not based on any scientific research.

my 2 cents...

Would you mind linking his username or website, etc.? I looked at the drip rails again and they don't appear to be just a 2" wide strip of steel tack welded like I thought (and you obviously corrected with your post). I would love to see a site with some close-ups of the drip rail removed or a recommended technique, etc. Do you just shave the protruding portion and then grind them flush at the corner, etc.?

I can't comment on how much the drip rails improve the structural stability of the roof, but I can comment on how strong they are. I have roof racks for my Z (carry the surfboard most times) but when I was going to school in Lubbock (8hr drive) they would support several hundred pounds of crap from my dorm. I would say I never exceeded 400lbs total, probably less, but still. For a 1/2 wide piece of metal that is some substantial wieght. I have also moved coffee tables on the Z (solid wood 7 feet long a good 200lb alone) as well as dressers and other items. My rails are here to stay, way too functional to remove for me. Plus they work great in the rain!

I can't comment on how much the drip rails improve the structural stability of the roof, but I can comment on how strong they are. I have roof racks for my Z (carry the surfboard most times) but when I was going to school in Lubbock (8hr drive) they would support several hundred pounds of crap from my dorm. I would say I never exceeded 400lbs total, probably less, but still. For a 1/2 wide piece of metal that is some substantial wieght. I have also moved coffee tables on the Z (solid wood 7 feet long a good 200lb alone) as well as dressers and other items. My rails are here to stay, way too functional to remove for me. Plus they work great in the rain!

Do you have photo's?

Agreed. :-) Can you comment on Russ' A-Pillar pieces on the exterior?

It was kinda hard to tell how far away they were from the A-pillar. It looked like they floated there a bit, which to me seems like a compromise. Idealy it should extend FROM the A pillar I'd imagine, not just float above.

Nismo: He wants to see your rack!....

Sorry, I get the giggles when I hear about moving dressers on the roof of a Z. Reminds me of the Home Depot car.

lumbercarars6.jpg

That said....the rain gutters look great. Since this is sort of an aerodynamics thread, it appears that substantial rear down force can be achieved with the proper load.