HybridZ

Holset Turbo's????

What is the story with the Holset turbo's??? I see alot of people on here use them on their Z, but i do not know to much about them.. I really only heard of Garret and Turbonetics...

How are they? I was orig looking for a T3/T4 hybrid... how do the holset turbo's rate comparted to them?

what size would i want to run on a L28 to achieve around 300rwhp.. and what boos levels?

thanks,

Get a Holset HY35, larger fuel injectors, intercooler, and Megasquirt. You'll have a good start on your way to 300whp.

I don't know what "story" you want about Holset's, but spend time searching. I've been searching 6 months and still don't know nearly as much as I need.

Did the search already.. read the posts.. most say similar things.. just that they got one. or what size they are running.. or looking to get.. not too much about efficiency.. and spool times.. i have found posts about max boost..

Search took about 10-15 sec.

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=2258928

Start reading, and these threads contain more than just "its off a cummins".

There are plenty of posts WITH dynographs, posts talking about spool times, etc. Even lenthy discussions of split housing turbines. I could search and find them for you, or you could find them yourself like I had to. What's the hurry? Look around, you'll learn more than you thought you needed to know ;)

Its not that we are being stingy or lazy with the info we have. Its just that we KNOW its out there because we have all found it. We also found out tons of other information about turbo's and cars and just the z car in general along the way.

Well, in short the holset is popular choice because although The T3/T4 is a good turbo for the same price or lower you can get a HY35w or HX35 and gain more power. The holset also uses the t3 flange, but requires a custom downpipe to be made for the large 3" outlet. The Holset's don't really start breathing till after 15psi and can go up to 30+. They can be sourced on ebay rather easily and for a low price compared to a brand new T3/T4. The newer holsets flow better, but avoid a VGT if you don't want the hassle of learning how to set it up on the L series engine correctly.

Here is a good thread comparing the turbos:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127181&highlight=HY35

Well, in short the holset is popular choice because although The T3/T4 is a good turbo for the same price or lower you can get a HY35w or HX35 and gain more power. The holset also uses the t3 flange, but requires a custom downpipe to be made for the large 3" outlet. The Holset's don't really start breathing till after 15psi and can go up to 30+. They can be sourced on ebay rather easily and for a low price compared to a brand new T3/T4. The newer holsets flow better, but avoid a VGT if you don't want the hassle of learning how to set it up on the L series engine correctly.

Here is a good thread comparing the turbos:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127181&highlight=HY35

thanks

I just stuck in a 280zx turbo engine with a HY35w about 2 hours ago (into a 76 2+2).The Holset is out of an 02 Dodge 2500 pickup. The exhaust manifold outlet is impossible without rerouting the air conditioner lines and a big alteration on the firewall bodywork. I am going to to cut the outlet rotate it and reweld it...or use an ABS stainless steel adapter (waste plumbing stuff) with mucho RTB or stove cement. Obviously the design changed after 02 and thereafter now we have a v band rotational thing on the outlet. The intake is so close to the shock tower that I will either have to go inside the wheel well with the intercooler piping or whack off some of the input. But, that`s part of the fun of it...adapting to unexpected realities. Get a post 02 if You can! Otherwise it is a cheap way to do it--got Mine for 335w/shipping. Enjoy, Roger