HybridZ

List your L28ET setup.

I think it would be benificial to have a thread of everyone who has a L28 turbo list what you have and your mods as well as when you get positive boost and how well you like it.

example::

-engine= L28ET JE pistons 8:0.1 compression

-turbo= t3/to4E 60trim compressorwheel, .63 turbine housing stage 3 wheel.

-Exhaust system

- How much boost you run and when it goes pos pressure to peek boost.

-ECU= MSNS1 v3

-440 CC injectors

-HP= if you have dyno tuned it and what type of dyno..(this will not be exact as no 1 dyno is the same)

What im trying to accomplish is a nice and easy thread to search and have information on different turbo setups people are using on the L28 motor.

Please let me know if this thread has been started before as I dont want to duplicate one..

Thanks

Gabe,

How this combination will perform is unknown at this time; however, this is what my rebuilt car has to date. Since you asked for mods, here are the relevant ones in regards to a turbo system. Yesterday, a new exhaust system was added to the list (noted below).

*Engine: L28ET w/ dished, hypereutectic-cast pistons (compression unknown) w/ FMIC. Oil cooler in the radiator; the latter was taken from a ’81 turbo automatic 280zx.

*Turbocharger System: Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r housing; downpipe (2.5 in.) with ports to an external TiAL wastegate (38 mm) and oxygen sensor; and new TiAL BOV (50 mm). EWG incorporated as it came from the provider. Boost controller will be added.

*Fuel Injection: AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator; high-pressure EFI fuel pump (95 psi).

*Injectors & ECU are stock for now.

*Exhaust System: A new 2.5†high-flow/3-way Magnaflow CAT with Mandrel bend tubing to a new 2.5†high-flow Magnaflow muffler.

*HP unknown at this time.

She runs really nice and will be tested when I find a place to run her.

Great thread; it should provide lots of useful information.

john

F54 block bored 0.5mm flat top pistons, P90 head, N42 non webbed manifold, 60mm throttle body, ARP main, rod and head bolts. 2mm steel head gasket, turbo oil pump, 680cc low imp injectors, 3" IC pipe large FMIC, Holset HE351CW with enlarged internal wastegate, 3" stainless exhaust with single box at the rear, megasquirt II, EDIS ignition. No porting just standard head and manifold. 275rwhp 316lbft torque at 13 psi boost.

I'll add my current setup for the benefit of future engine builders.

Engine: Stock L28et (P90 head)

Turbo: Stage III T3/T04B .57 trim .63 a/r

Exhaust: 2.5†Scottie GNZ DP to 3†exhaust. Dynomaxx Muffler

IC: small NPR

Boost: 10psi I’m still tuning and this is mainly a street car so I need it to last. Eventually plan on running 15psi for the street. Boost starts at ~2500 rpm

ECU: SDS EM3-F (Magnecor wires, NGK BPR7ES plugs gapped at .030ish)

Injectors: Mercedes 420cc

HP: Did a quick dyno run on a Dynojet before my car was shipped from CA to FL. I had a igntion miss so I never got a clean run. I got only 1 run to about 5000rpm and netted 241hp 272 ft lbs. This was at ~10psi on CA 91 octane. I didn't log boost.

Overall I'm happy with this setup but of course I do have more mods planned.

OK, I'll play!

I've had several different L28ET set ups in my car over the last 10 years, ranging from totally stock, to a "budget" 287whp/320wtq. stock block, to a 372whp/365wtq forged piston/small cam motor, to the current system which is:

Engine - F-54 block, cut for stainless o-rings, factory turbo head gasket. stock crank cut .10/.10, ceramic anti-friction coated ACL rod and main bearings, 88mm Ross forged pistons with Ti nitrided rings, piston crowns thermal barrier coated, skirts anti-friction coated. factory L-28 rods, balanced, beams polished, shot peened and bushed for floating pins. AZC cast aluminum oil pan.

Cylinder head - P-90, decked to ensure flatness, custom ground Isky cam, Isky springs, retainers and lash pads, Ferrea +1mm oversized stainless valves, head ported and flowed on flow bench, exhaust ports thermal barrier coated. custom intake manifold by James Thagard, 60mm TB, ported factory exhaust mainfold with innovate turbo "progate" wastegate adapter welded on.

Turbo System - TS04, 60-1 compressor, .58 P trim turbine, on center housing. 304 stainless 3" downpipe into 3" mandrel bent mild steel exhaust with a single dynomax "drag" muffler. Turbonetics racegate with 1.5" SS screamer pipe. Spearco 1080 cfm intercooler 18x8x3.5" with 2.5" mild steel intercooler piping, and an old Blitz BOV that's been on the car for the better part of ten years...

Electronics - Haltech E6K ECU, Greddy Profec B boost controller, innovative LM-1 wideband, wired to datalog to E6K

Fuel System - 550cc RC engineering injectors, Aeromotive A-1000 fuel pump and boost referenced regulator, Aeromotive 100 micron canister filter at the fuel cell, aeromotive 10 micron canister filter before fuel rail. Jaz aluminum 15 gallon fuel cell with 1/2 feed and 3/8 return aluminum hard line.

Drivetrain - late 280ZX 5-speed (several!) old 11# tilton flywheel, ACT 6 puck, spring hub clutch.

Power - max of 403WHP/365WTQ @ 17 psi on 93 octane. Dynojet 248

this set up also made 297whp at 9 psi (base wastegate spring) and spools at around 3400 rpm, with full boost about 3800, and pulls hard to the 7100 rpm rev limit setting. I have no doubt there is quite a bit more power in this combo, but I haven't really felt the need to up the boost any...yet.

Link to Dyno Video:

Setup in my 1977 280Z

-Engine – stock tired L28ET lower-end, N42 head with turbo cam, 8.3+- to 1 compression ratio with Felpro head gasket, P82 intake manifold, 60mm throttle body

-Turbo - T3/T04B .70 A/R compressor housing with hi-fi wheel, .63 A/R turbine housing stage 3 wheel, intercooler, 1st gen BOV, 2.25" intercooler piping

-Exhaust system – 3†downpipe with custom 3†exhaust, Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler

-Drivetrain – rebuilt 1982 280ZX 5-speed, Fidanza flywheel, Exedy clutch and 3.90 rear gears

- Running 12 psi boost, comes on at about 3200 through 5800 then dies off

- ECU - MS1 v3 Extra code

-Fuel system - 460 CC high impedance RX7 injectors with Pallnet fuel rail, Aeromotive boost referenced pressure regulator, 255 fuel pump and custom 3/8 aluminum fuel line

-HP – 298 rwhp at 5200 rpms, 322 ftlbs torque at 4100 rpms using a Dyno Dynamics dyno

That was my old setup.

I have added a few new items:

-engine – rebuilt L28ET lower-end, same N42 head with 2mm metal head gasket, reworked turbo manifold n EGR parts

-turbo – same system with Tial 50mm BOV, old one leaked pretty bad

-Running 15psi boost, car pulls hard through 6000 rpms

-HP – no dyno numbers yet still working out a turbo surge problem will update when I get it fixed

HB280ZT

-engine= L28ET stock rebuilt with 2mm mhg. compression is at like 7.1

-turbo= holset HE351cw

-Exhaust system-4inch custom dp to 3" exhaust. all mandrel bent.

- Boost-running 16psi if lugged in 4th i hit positive pressure at like 2400-2500rpm and full boost at like 3100-3200rpm

-ECU= MSNS1 v3

-460 CC high z rx7 injectors

-HP=dont know yet people say around 300hp

*Engine: L28ET stock internals. Rebello prepped head with mild Iskey cam, bigger SS intake valves, full race port; Lonewolf ported intake manifold

*Turbocharger System: Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r housing (ceramic coated, ball bearings); downpipe (3 in.), stock wastegate, aluminum bar and plate IC,

*Fuel Injection: Wolf V500 ECU, 450cc Supra injectors, Pallnet fuel rail, Walbro 255 lph pump; 60 mm TB

*Exhaust System: 3" custom mandrel bent aluminized pipe, Dynamax muffler

*Boost: 10 psi to start with. Won't go more than 15.

*HP unknown at this time. Hoping to get around 300 hp at 10 psi.

Next year (when new budget kicks in) looking at meth injection, maybe a more aggressive cam, coil packs and that's about it. This is my DD so it has to be dependable.

-Engine= L28ET with very mild cam

-Turbo= Garrett GT3582R 0.82 A/R exhaust

-Exhaust system= 3" mandrel, no muffler

-Boost= Positive pressure from start in 1st at 3000, (19psi) full boost just before 5000, redline 6500, no drop off in boost in gearshifts.

-ECU= Autronic SMC

-Injectors= 460 CC RX7 N/A

-HP=Don't know.

Engine: L28ET with stock internals; P90a head; stock head gasket; N42 intake; 240sx 60mm throttle body

Turbocharger System: Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r turbine housing, ceramic coated turbine housing, water cooled, 360 degree thrust bearing; 24x12x3 I/C with 2.5-in. mandrel bent aluminum piping

Fuel Injection: Wolf V500 ECU, 440cc Supra injectors flow tested at 503 cc/min, Pallnet fuel rail, Walbro fuel pump; Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR; modified 240z fuel tank; braided -6 SS fuel lines from tank to engine; FJO Racing 700 cc/min methanol high-speed injector; FJO Racing pressure sender; FJO Racing 120 psi methanol pump

Exhaust System: 3" custom mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust to a Borla XR-1 straight-through muffler

Boost: 20 psi by 3300 rpm, presently working out boost drop off due to wastegate creep. Plans are 22 psi through peak torque, with boost increasing to 25 psi after peak torque to flatten torque curve

HP: Last dyno run was 388 wheel ft-lbs and 326 whp. Timing was retarded too much, AFRs too rich and slight hesitation encountered, boost bled off to 15 psi by 5000 rpm (wastegate creep - going to spring the actuator arm). I am fully expecting over 410 ft-lbs and 350 hp next dyno session.

For anaybody who hasn't seen it, Bo (ktm) has a great set up. Definitely the model for me. And a beautiful engine bay!

Bo, FYI, took the IC piping apart and found several leaky connections. After we're finished installing the head etc., we're welding up a steel pipe system...keep those d**n couplers to a minimum.

Here is mine, 2years in the making, almost complete!:

Engine: L30ET. Diesel Crank, F54 block. 240Z rods. Custom made JE pistons with Swain coatings and 8.0:1 compression. ARP Studded Bottom End. ARP Head Studs as well. 2mm Metal Head Gasket from MSA

Whitehead Performance P90 non hydraulic Head with many many hours of dedicated port and polish time then Swain coated the combustion chambers and exhaust ports. Dual race valve springs.

Web Turbo Grind Billet Cam

SFP custom made exhaust manifold with 38mm TiAL external wastegate. Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve

Custom Made intake manifold by JamieT with 68mm BMW 735i Throttle Body

Turbo: Speedshop Thagard Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r turbine housing with Stage 5 wheel and 360 degree Trhust Bearing

EFI: 550cc RC Injectors with Haltech E6K management and Aeromotive FPR, Walbro 255lp/h fuel pump

Intercooler: Core 12x3x14 Corky Bell Design

Radiator: Arizona Z Car

Oil Cooler: Perma-A-Cool with -10 lines

Downpipe and Exhaust: Custom made all mandrel 3" stainless

Tranny: Brand new T5 bought from Nissan and Clutch Specialties Clutch with a Fidanza Flywheel

Lots of Autometer Gauges

Boost will be set at 18psi for the street. Engine will be capable of a solid 400+ whp.

For fun...

320565017.jpg

287738091.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Gabe - GREAT IDEA! - this type of thread has been needed so others can read and learn.

After reading what has been entered so far, I have some suggestions that would make this a dynamite thread.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of consistency on the part of Garrett turbo users to state compressor A/R and trim and turbine A/R and trim. I won't name names - it makes no difference at the start of the thread - they can all be corrected/added, but I for one consider this info MANDATORY for people to extract what we are aiming for from this thread.

For those of us who are using T3/T4 turbos, I think specifying ALL of this info is very important for highlighting spool and boost characteristics.

I might even go further and say:

Pick a certain gear (probably 2nd or 3rd) and accelerate full throttle from 1500 rpm and see at what rpm boost starts and when full boost hits.

This will allow readers to compare apples to apples.

For Holset turbo owners, follow the same guidelines for determining onset of boost and full boost will allow readers at least a closer shot at comparing among Holsets and Garrett type turbos.

We MAY even want to post LINKS to pics of dyno runs in the thread - purely because I don't want to wait while pics load to read a thread - I'd rather click on the links to pics I want to see. I know I've done HOURS of searching (and re-searching - at some point if you read enough threads in a search you can't change pages again - you have to start over!) while researching what I want to do with my setup looking especially for dyno runs and HP/TQ info, that can all be found in ONE THREAD IF WE HANDLE IT RIGHT.

Hope no-one got offended by the suggestions to (hopefully) make this the best thread possible.

ENGINE: Stock rebuilt L28ET, 2mm head gasket, P90 head, stock intake, 60mm big mouth TB, stock oil cooler, adj. oil pump, electric fans, stock A/C.

TURBO: Holset HY35, 3 inch I/C piping, 24x12x3 I/C

FUEL INJECTION: MSnS, RC 750cc injectors, Palnet rail, Walbro 255lph pump, Aeromotive FPR. 100% Methanol injection with boost switch comming on at 14 psi.

EXAUST: 4 inch, with 4 inch diesel muffler.

BOOST: 25 psi comming on at about 3000rpm and holding 25psi

HP: 342whp 390tq at 25 lbs of boost. Power falling off at 4500rpm because it was WAY to rich. Trying to get the tune right and go back to the dyno. (if stuff will stop breaking)

8213002610.jpg

Awesome Idea Brad!!.. Phil, I was waiting for you to chime in!!.. and Chris I was really interested in seeing what you had!! If we do this right, it would even be a good sticky!!!

Keep em coming guys and I think Brad is really onto something about the specific details on your Turbo.

Yasin, I get a little chub everytime I see your car:icon31:

I had a 79K mile 82ZXT that I bought from the original owner in San Francisco in '94, put 120K miles on it and sold in '02 to a kid who had it two weeks before he "redecorated" the rear end of a Tundra truck with it, I bought it back and parted it out and I still miss it...

I guess I don't spend enough time at HybridZ, I can't figure out how to edit my original post, as I forgot some stuff, not a big deal but it bugs me I can't figure out how to add it now.:icon_frow

This really has the potential to be a great thread, as the information for anyone who wants to build an L28ET is out there, when I started messing with them I didn't even have internet access and more than likely blew up a lot of stuff I wouldn't have had to trying to make the power I wanted.

OK, I'll play!

I've had several different L28ET set ups in my car over the last 10 years, ranging from totally stock, to a "budget" 287whp/320wtq. stock block, to a 372whp/365wtq forged piston/small cam motor, to the current system which is:

Engine - F-54 block, cut for stainless o-rings, factory turbo head gasket. stock crank cut .10/.10, ceramic anti-friction coated ACL rod and main bearings, 88mm Ross forged pistons with Ti nitrided rings, piston crowns thermal barrier coated, skirts anti-friction coated. factory L-28 rods, balanced, beams polished, shot peened and bushed for floating pins. AZC cast aluminum oil pan.

Cylinder head - P-90, decked to ensure flatness, custom ground Isky cam, Isky springs, retainers and lash pads, Ferrea +1mm oversized stainless valves, head ported and flowed on flow bench, exhaust ports thermal barrier coated. custom intake manifold by James Thagard, 60mm TB, ported factory exhaust mainfold with innovate turbo "progate" wastegate adapter welded on.

Turbo System - TS04, 60-1 compressor, .58 P trim turbine, on center housing. 304 stainless 3" downpipe into 3" mandrel bent mild steel exhaust with a single dynomax "drag" muffler. Turbonetics racegate with 1.5" SS screamer pipe. Spearco 1080 cfm intercooler 18x8x3.5" with 2.5" mild steel intercooler piping, and an old Blitz BOV that's been on the car for the better part of ten years...

Electronics - Haltech E6K ECU, Greddy Profec B boost controller, innovative LM-1 wideband, wired to datalog to E6K

Fuel System - 550cc RC engineering injectors, Aeromotive A-1000 fuel pump and boost referenced regulator, Aeromotive 100 micron canister filter at the fuel cell, aeromotive 10 micron canister filter before fuel rail. Jaz aluminum 15 gallon fuel cell with 1/2 feed and 3/8 return aluminum hard line.

Drivetrain - late 280ZX 5-speed (several!) old 11# tilton flywheel, ACT 6 puck, spring hub clutch.

Power - max of 403WHP/365WTQ @ 17 psi on 93 octane. Dynojet 248

this set up also made 297whp at 9 psi (base wastegate spring) and spools at around 3400 rpm, with full boost about 3800, and pulls hard to the 7100 rpm rev limit setting. I have no doubt there is quite a bit more power in this combo, but I haven't really felt the need to up the boost any...yet.

Link to Dyno Video:

blah blah, If your car was a girl, I would totally make love to it. people I have had the pleasure of driving Chris's car and it is awesome. I have to go to the bathroom now.:wc: