HybridZ

List your L28ET setup.

Bone stock L28et sourced from an 83 zxt auto with stock rebuilt t3 turbo and stock turbo manifold
E1280 Distributor
L28E distributor shaft
Sanyo Kiki Intake manifold
Sany Kiki 45mm Side draft carbureators x 3 with all the turbo bits from sk/Oer.

HKS type 1 surge tank
Toyota supra same sided intercooler from cx racing
JDm spec brand intercooler piping
Msd 6btm
Airtex fuel pump forgot the part number
Msa down pipe to 2.5in exhaust all the way back.

still need to do the 3in exhaust but more important non car stuff had to be taken care of. Damn those non car things lol.

• 4 years later...

1977 280z

rebuilding a 280zx turbo engine, not using the turbo.

- Bored .30 over with ITM Flat top pistons

- Polished and balanced crank

- Balanced pistons and rods

- going to use turbo injectors

- Planning on a larger throttle body (Suggestions?)

- P90 head totally ported and polished with new rockers and springs springs blah blah blah

- Stage 2 Isky cam

- Standard head gasket

- Stock ECU,  MIght need to upgrade, have to see what happens

- Cold air intake

My machinist says I should have no problem making 200hp to the tires.  I have my doubts, but I am no expert.  I would really like to hear everyone thoughts or predictions.

The overall car plan is for it to be a spirited weekend reliable driver. 

-

52 minutes ago, area51 said:

My machinist says I should have no problem making 200hp to the tires.  I have my doubts, but I am no expert.  I would really like to hear everyone thoughts or predictions.

The overall car plan is for it to be a spirited weekend reliable driver. 

Shouldn't be a problem at all. MOST people making 200whp on factory longblocks without issue. But you'll likely end up wanting to ditch the factory EFI. You've modified the top end enough that the factory curve won't work well at all, and most people don't have the patience/interest in learning how to hack the factory EFI and retune it. Once you've got a good tune, whatever your choice there, you should be able to make 200whp on about 8-10psi without issue considering the top end improvements.

As far as "limits", your limit will be detonation for a given boost/fuel/tune combo. A factory bottom end will hold 400hp all day as long as there's no overheating and/or detonation issues. So as long as the tune's good, the bottom end is pretty reliable. You might choose to just always fill with 110 octane and run a large radiator. You might choose to do some common cooling mods to improve rear cylinder temps. You might opt for a fancy ECU with per-cylinder trimming so you can keep detonation prone cylinders a bit softer.

Everyone always asks the famous "how do I make 300hp with a L28ET?", and the answer always boils down to "add boost, tune well". These things won't explode in a fit of rage because of a power/torque level though. It's generally large amounts of abuse on a bad tune, using pump gas and lots of boost, or revving the nuts off of it when you didn't build it for that, which generally do them in. Handle the tuning aspect, and you can make as much power as you venture into solving secondary issues for (which generally all boil down to heat management).

• 5 months later...

Junkyard Stock L28ET

Stock T3 Turbo

Megasquirt 2

440cc Supra injectors

Evo 8 Intercooler

DSM blow off valve

3" Exhaust

MSD 2225 fuel pump

240SX throttlebody

13 PSI at 3200 rpm trailing off to 10 psi by redline

260 hp/300 ft lbs @ 11.5:1 AFR 93 Octane on a Dynojet Mobile (no tuning done just pulls at a car show)

I

Edited by Enginerd81