HybridZ

List your L28ET setup.

Some of you guys have listed your fuel cells. Most don't mention if your using a stock fuel tank and a surge tank. I think listing what fuel components your using would be very benefical information, a key component that gets overlooked everywhere else (it seems).

Thanks for participating in this thread! Great stuff

Some of you guys have listed your fuel cells. Most don't mention if your using a stock fuel tank and a surge tank. I think listing what fuel components your using would be very benefical information, a key component that gets overlooked everywhere else (it seems).

Good idea.. I wish I could go back and edit my response but it looks like you cannot.. I am not running a fuel cell or a sump. Although I would like to install a sump someday soon.

I though about it but it was an L28 engine thread and the fuel tank/cell mods would be necessary regardless of the engine, it's more the intended purpose of the car.

Yasin, Thanks. The intercooler was cheap:mrgreen:. I did it before the knock offs were priced what they are today. I ran one on my 73 for awhile too. They work pretty good.

I though about it but it was an L28 engine thread and the fuel tank/cell mods would be necessary regardless of the engine, it's more the intended purpose of the car.

You may be right. I asked for this ingredient of the turbo setups you guys are running, for a selfish reason. I am putting a 280zxt driveline in a 240. I am wanting to keep my setup from going lean.

I have never had a turbo car before. Though I have had a few big block, fuel guzzlers, that merely required nothing (or very little modding over stock) to get the flow to the carbs. My desire to see what is successfully working for you guys, made me ask. I was hoping the list of setups would be a "one stop shopping thread".

Here's my current setup, and I don't know the hp yet, but I will soon:

Engine: Stock L28et with 135K miles, 1mm HKS headgasket, ARP head studs.

Turbo: Turbonetics T3/TO4B unknown specs with what I believe is a stage 1 wheel in a .63 housing, 38mm TiAL wastegate, Vildini Motorsports 3" downpipe, 2 1/2-3" exhaust from the catalytic back. (this will change to a full 3" soon), Spearco I/C with 2.5" piping, 60mm tb, JSK tb spacer.

Ecu/fuel: JWT 4 Bar program, '93 Cobra maf, '75 450 SEL Benz injectors, Pallnet fuel rail, Sard FPR, Walbro pump, Crane Cams Hi-6 ignition box and MSD coil, AEM wideband o2, Trust Profec B boost controller.

Max boost is set 110 kPA which is ~16psi. Daily driven it's set at 9-12 psi depending on road conditions. Octane used is 91.

Max boost is set 1100 kPA which is ~16psi. Daily driven it's set at 9-12 psi depending on road conditions. Octane used is 91.

1100kpa is 16psi? dang i must need to go back to school. lol thats something around 145lbs of boost!!!! That must be a hell of a motor you have!!!!! and one BIG turbo!!!

Ok here is my set up:

Engine: l28et f54, just got rebuild, stock internals, high output oil pump, p90 head ported and decked, 3 angle valve job, 2mm mhg.

Drivetrain: 240sx trans, 240mm flywheel and clutch, r200 lsd 3.90.

Turbo: holset from 2002 auto truck, just rebuild, ceramic coded,external tial wg, apexi bov, 25" by 12" by 3" intercooler.

ECU: running stock electronics, waiting on megasquirt 3.0

Fuel: MSD 90PSI fuel pump, braided lines, aeromotive regulator, 7mgte inectors(440).

Exhaust: 3" dp, all the to a 3.5" magnafow turbo muffler.

Power: dont know yet, because Im waiting on the megasquirt to get, just put together the engine, only have a mile on the clock.

1982 F54 that's had a very special and lengthy lightening process done to it by a sweet blonde who only added water instead of coolant. It is topped with a high mileage 1981 P90 head.

It sports flat tops I used a 3 foot pry bar to hammer out of the a block rusted inside the bores instead of inside the water jackets. I really just wanted one rod out of the engine but, when I hammered them out, they looked pristine and I could not see a single mark on the rings so I just had to try it for the sake of experimentation.

TD06 20g turbo, and a Z31 management system soon to be replaced with a 7mgte engine management system sporting a lexus LS400 karman vortex air flow meter and 550CC injectors.

I'll provide video once it gets it's first pass down the quarter in the infiniti M30 it will be going into because I expect some carnage from the pistons that now have large screwdriver tip shaped dents in the pin boss bottom sides.

Just a temporary engine but my last "temporary engine" is still running strong 45,000 miles later.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Engine: L28ET Stock F54 Bottom End, N42 with stock turbo cam, 8.3:1CR

Turbo: Stock T3

Intake: 60mm TB with N42 Intake

EFI: 440cc/min injectors, SDS EM-3E, Walbro GL392, Stock fuel tank with sump added

Intercooler: "Medium" NPR

Downpipe and Exhaust: 2.5" DP to 3" Exhaust. All mandrel bent.

This engine setup made 232rwhp, 281ft-lbs at 6psi. (limited by turbo issues)

Positive boost pressure ~2500rpm, fell on its face at about 5800rpm.

New engine underway, with bigger turbo.

Engine: L28ET Stock F54 Bottom End, N42 with stock turbo cam, 8.3:1CR

Turbo: Stock T3

Intake: 60mm TB with N42 Intake

EFI: 440cc/min injectors, SDS EM-3E, Walbro GL392, Stock fuel tank with sump added

Intercooler: "Medium" NPR

Downpipe and Exhaust: 2.5" DP to 3" Exhaust. All mandrel bent.

This engine setup made 232rwhp, 281ft-lbs at 6psi. (limited by turbo issues)

Positive boost pressure ~2500rpm, fell on its face at about 5800rpm.

New engine underway, with bigger turbo.

Drax it sure is great to see you at it again.. keep us updated as the new setup takes place!!

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I'd post what I'm putting together. It's in pieces due to the block, head, and crank still being at the shop until I get it paid off, so I'll just list what I intend to build to start off.

Engine: '81 L28ET - .050mm bored F54, rebuilt P90, .050mm oversized pistons, stock crank/rods, stock valvetrain, 2+2 flywheel.

Intake: '76 N42 non-EGR manifold with Turbo TB.

Turbo system: Stock T3, Ford Probe GT IC, Rx-7 TII BOV.

EMS/EFI: Stock '82-'83 ECU/wiring harness/ignition, stock injectors.

Exhaust: 2.5" downpipe, 2.5" free flow pipe, will decide on muffler later.

Power: Shooting for 200-250HP at the wheels. Not sure what that'll make tourque - wise.

Work in progress, engine not yet assembled, waiting on rings.

Engine: F54 3.1 stroker w/ KA24De 18cc dish pistons, L24 9mm rods, LD28 crank, p90a, 2mm head gasket (8.2:1 CR), FMIC, Oil cooler, N42 non-EGR Intake w/ 60mm 240sx TB and Fidanza LWFW.

Turbocharger System: Turbonetics T3/T04E 50 trim ar 60 compressor, w/ stage III .63 turbine wheel, internal wastegate, 3 in. downpipe, cold air intake (shooting for 12 to 18 psi @ 18 deg base timing).

Fuel Injection: Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, stock fuel tank.

Injectors & ECU Mercedes 440 cc injectors, JWT Tuned ECU with Cobra MAF

Exhaust System: A 3 in all the way w/ 18 in. glass pac, mandrel bend tubing to a high-flow Magnaflow muffler.

HP unknown at this time, hoping for 300 to 350 rwhp (if the stock OEM KA24De pistons will hold-up, can’t afford forged at this time and I can’t wait another year to get her back on the road).

DriveTrain: Z32 5 speed w/ Spec-II clutch, z31 3.7 LSD w/ CV axles

Hey Chris and Big-Phil, what compression ratios are you running? Big-Phil, it looks like you may be in low 7's with the 2mm head gasket, is that correct and if so, how is it off boost? Also, what base timing are you guys running?

Ken

• 3 months later...

The engine I mentioned above with the flattops that were hammered out through some rusty bores is now running in a M30.

It hasn't smoked the least bit and runs smooth on the M30 ecu with the stock 280zx turbo injectors.

I expected it to run pig rich throughout the rpm range but it's fine...........not really sure why but maybe it's learning capability has pulled fueling to compensate.

I did fit the M30 smaller 02 sensor but most won't have the luck I had with the screws I used.

It has a lexus metal egr gasket under that plate so no leaks.

elbow.jpg

It does get a rough idle after a couple of minutes but I'm surprised how well it went so far.......maybe getting the idle controls and knock sensor will smooth that out but expect to have to either go nistune or start burning proms to get everything perfect.

Done a lot of changes in 2 years

Engine:

stock 81 280zxt bottom end

83.5 turbo head with solid lifters

Intake:

LD intake converted to run gas

60 mm 240sx throttle body

Porsche 944 IC with 2.5" IC pipes

Exhaust:

Stock T3 turbo with 360 degree thrust bearing

Stock downpipe

2.5" staight exhaust out the side, no cat or muffler

Electronics:

NIStune type 1 ECCS and romulator (Z31)

Z32 MAF

Laptop ;)

83 280zxt Distributor and CAS

Fuel:

Walbro 255L fuel pump

260 cc injectors (right now to learn how to tune) 370's go back in in June.

3/8" fuel line through out

Custom fuel sump

Custom fuel rail

Adjustable FPR

Power:

Dunno!! When I first was done with the turbo swap with stock 280zxt electronics I ran a 14.1 in the quarter at stock boost. So now with some new, more efficient, more up to date parts, I'd like to think it has more than stock power. :) My goal is 300hp.