HybridZ

Old school, but a dream come true finally...Webers

blueovalz

It took 20 years, but I finally found a Weber 48 IDA system I could afford. It was such a good price that I decided to forego the EFI I was planning. So, I cleaned them up, installed new gaskets, bigger chokes, and then milled the intake for an 8º tilt of the carbs. It is ready for the swap (as soon as I change the triangular bracing a bit from the towers to the firewall. I'm all a twitter!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Wow, it looks gorgeous! Grats on finding what you've been admiring for so long. :-) Need more pics when ya get it installed. And, of course, a sound clip.

It took 20 years, but I finally found a Weber 48 IDA system I could afford. It was such a good price that I decided to forego the EFI I was planning. So, I cleaned them up, installed new gaskets, bigger chokes, and then milled the intake for an 8º tilt of the carbs. It is ready for the swap (as soon as I change the triangular bracing a bit from the towers to the firewall. I'm all a twitter!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Wow Terry! I really Look the look. The 8 degree tilt really adds to the exotic appearance of the package.

What is your intent for filters? I think if it was me, I would probably just run the domed screens. I'm sure like me you're not driving alot of dirt roads.

If you don't already have an on-board halon system, I'd add one. Their cheap insurance, functional, and add to the business look of the car.

I'll be following your progress closely...good luck.

PS.- Congrats for representing the Z crowd nicely in the 50th Anniversary Auto Week. I wish the picture was bigger!

A buddy of mine called me and asked if i knew of the Z that was in the issue.

Good Job!

Roger

Terry, what is the purpose of the 8 degree cut, just a straighter shot to the intakes?

The hood blister is not wide enough to allow a straight up orientation. The big-block Weber set-ups use a 10º tilt, so I studied the situation and went with an 8º tilt to help clearance issues with the tower bracing and the hood clearance. Last night I finished tilting the mounting studs as well, so everything is finished.

Roger, I plan on using the typical screen covers at this point.

Lastly, (and this is kinda silly), I wanted to space the velocity stacks so that the spacing between the the same-carb stacks was equal to the across-the-manifold spacing of the stacks (silly, but it makes all the stacks equally spaced front to back, and left to right now). The 10º would have pushed them too close to each other.

The hood blister is not wide enough to allow a straight up orientation. The big-block Weber set-ups use a 10º tilt, so I studied the situation and went with an 8º tilt to help clearance issues with the tower bracing and the hood clearance. Last night I finished tilting the mounting studs as well, so everything is finished.

Roger, I plan on using the typical screen covers at this point.

Lastly, (and this is kinda silly), I wanted to space the velocity stacks so that the spacing between the the same-carb stacks was equal to the across-the-manifold spacing of the stacks (silly, but it makes all the stacks equally spaced front to back, and left to right now). The 10º would have pushed them too close to each other.

The devil is in the details. Looks great. Can't wait to see it installed.

Evan

That's some eye candy for sure. Be sure and post up some pics when you get it on the car.

How do you think it will stack up performance wise to your current setup? Any chance of a dyno comparison?

John