HybridZ

GM 6.2L Diesel

Guest abram

Cummins 600 (5.9L) Has 325 bhp (242 kW) @ 2900rpm/600ft-lbs tq (813 Nm) @ 1600rpm.

I have this engine in my truck (05 dodge ram 3500) and even with its crappy little turbo, it tows like none other. You could use your Z to tow another car to the race track!! After major suspension upgrades though, of course.

This truck will get 17mpg towing a 27.5ft 5th wheel trailer fully loaded (7 tons I believe? maybe more), and 24/27mpg hwy/city.

This engine is amazing. With basic tuning, you can fix all of the problems it has **transmission lag (my dad got an automatic, great...) **decent throttle response can be changed to instant **power output can nearly double safely on this bottom end

What else can get you 1000ft/tq for the cost of this engine? These are actually pretty reasonable.

Heavy though...put it in a later model Z, the s30 will nosedive....unless of course there are some firewall modifications...put the weight in the center of the car, duh! Easier said than done.

I love this engine, its going to outlast both my dad and I, not to mention the truck its in.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the nice thing about diesels, they run on detonation.

Mistime the injection pump one time, and see if this statement is true!

The injection event is precisely timed. Put it to a point where it is igniting before it should (uncontrolled combustion) and things will break in a spectacular fashion.

They use heat of compression to ignite direct-injected fuel. That's a far cry from 'detonation'.

Just a bit of information to ponder. Although the duramax engine is now being built by GM is was originally designed and built by the worlds leading diesel motor builder Isuzu in conjunction with Bosch. HB280ZT

Actually, take that a bit further, the "Bosch" contribution was the common rail injection system that makes the Duramax what it is (quiet, by comparison, flexible, etc...)

And Bosch bought that injection techonlogy. Acquired a small company in Grand Rapids Michigan that specialized in Diesel Technologies (actually, that was the name of the company), they were a portion of Penske. (Then they moved it to South Carolina and if you didn't want to move....)

Penske bought them from another company some years back when they acquired their heavy-diesel line since they are big in truck leasing.

The company Penske bought "Diesel Technologies" from?

DETROIT DIESEL/ALLISON. A.K.A.: "GM"

A lot of moving about, a lot of money spent, for GM to buy it's own technology from a company that bought their technology from them!:?

So much for GM not knowing how to build a Diesel. (3-63 was only 3 Liters, and was used worldwide for decades. It's still out there powering everything from remote power generation sets in the jungle, to boats, to small amphibious vehicles used by the USMC...they are close as bullet-proof a diesel as you can get, and can be field overhauled by a monkey with sticks and rocks...)

I love the old 63/71/92 series Detroits. But they're 'bad diesel' technology: Two Stroke. Baaaad!

I know of a guy with a 4-71T in a Toyota Minitruck...and he does 152mph+ in that thing!:eek2: Somewhere, I have photos, and video of just that...

Actually, take that a bit further, the "Bosch" contribution was the common rail injection system that makes the Duramax what it is (quiet, by comparison, flexible, etc...)

And Bosch bought that injection techonlogy. Acquired a small company in Grand Rapids Michigan that specialized in Diesel Technologies (actually, that was the name of the company), they were a portion of Penske. (Then they moved it to South Carolina and if you didn't want to move....)

Penske bought them from another company some years back when they acquired their heavy-diesel line since they are big in truck leasing.

A lot of moving about, a lot of money spent, for GM to buy it's own technology from a company that bought their technology from them!:?

So much for GM not knowing how to build a Diesel. (3-63 was only 3 Liters, and was used worldwide for decades. It's still out there powering everything from remote power generation sets in the jungle, to boats, to small amphibious vehicles used by the USMC...they are close as bullet-proof a diesel as you can get, and can be field overhauled by a monkey with sticks and rocks...)

I love the old 63/71/92 series Detroits. But they're 'bad diesel' technology: Two Stroke. Baaaad!

I know of a guy with a 4-71T in a Toyota Minitruck...and he does 152mph+ in that thing!:eek2: Somewhere, I have photos, and video of just that...

Gotta love the Detroit 60 series!

Guest JohnnyC.

Ah....the old 2 stroke detroits. Always wanted to work on one. I know a lot pleasure craft around here in the bay of Houston use V-8 2 stroke detroits. I was going to start work for a company that did a lot of those in and around Houston, but Hurricane Ike left them with just about nothing, so my plans of Marine Diesel work has been put on hold:icon51: Anyways, i'd love to see the pics of that 4-71 in the Toyota. I've always wonder how those would fair in a truck!

Tony D-

Bosch did NOT buy Common Rail injection technology from Diesel Technologies in Michigan or move a plant down here. I work at Bosch in Charleston SC, and was on the start up team for Common Rail production here in 2002.

This technology was originally bought from Fiat and refined for production in the middle 1990's.

Bosch Charleston has been here since 1975, and currently produces gasoline injectors, ABS technology, Common Rail injectors for ISUZU and Cummins, and diesel unit injectors for Scania and Iveco.

Here is a more accurate timeline of Detroit Diesel:

• 1938: The company was founded by General Motors as the GM Diesel Division. Its initial product line was the Series 71 engine family, this first lineup consisting of exclusively inline configurations ranging from one to six cylinders.
  • World War II: When WWII broke out, DDC's two-stroke, lightweight, compact engine is in great demand for landing craft, tanks, road building equipment, and standby generators.
  • 1957: Introduction of the Series 53 & Series V-71 engines.[dubious – discuss]
  • 1965: GM Diesel becomes Detroit Diesel Engine Division. Also, the Series 149 is introduced, replacing the prior Series 110.
  • 1970: General Motors merges the Indianapolis based Allison Division, maker of gas turbines and transmissions, to form the Detroit Diesel Allison Division.
  • 1974: Series 92 introduced.
  • 1980: 8.2 Fuel Pincher diesel introduced.
  • 1981: Series 92 upgraded; renamed to "Silver 92."
  • 1982: Detroit Diesel V8 engine is introduced in the Chevrolet C/K
  • 1987: Series 60 introduced.
  • 1988: Penske Corporation buys a portion of the company and together with GM spin Detroit Diesel Corporation off as a separate company
  • 1993: Company completes an initial public offering (IPO), listing on the NYSE under the ticker symbol DDC. Series 50 introduced.
  • 2000: DaimlerChrysler AG purchased the company, merging it with their MTU Friedrichshafen and Mercedes-Benz industrial engines businesses, creating the DaimlerChrysler Powersystems division.
  • 2006: MTU Friedrichshafen, including the Off-highway part of Detroit Diesel in the USA, is acquired by the EQT investment group. A new company, Tognum GmbH, was formed as a holding company for the brands. The on-highway division of Detroit Diesel was retained by DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler AG) as part of its Freightliner Truck division. Both companies use the 'Detroit Diesel' name and corporate logo.
  • 2007: On October 19th Detroit Diesel announced the DD15, a new heavy duty engine. At the press conference a new company logo was also unveiled.

Tell the people who were put out of work at Diesel Technologies---the plant is shuttered in Grand Rapids, and the forwarding address is in S.C... I watched PCM-Bosch put their people in place, listened to what their stated reasoning was behind acquisition of DT from Penske, and watched them shutter the plant as technology was transferred to the N/A Operations Center in SC. If they didn't transfer technology, they sure as heck shut the plant down!

I'm not going to argue about it, I know people who lived the transition, and the technology Bosch Acquired is direct transfer.

It's no different than Atlas Copco buying up Chicago Pneumatic and painting their portable compressors white and red with the CP label on it.

Samsung introducing the Turbo-Air 8000 Series three days after cancelling their joint-venture with Atlas Copco.

Same as Atlas Copco did to Elliott in the 70's when they came out with their 'own' HL Series Centrifugal.

You can PM me, if you want to argue about it, there's no need to do it further in the thread...

And from this thread I realize I meant to say "53-Series" which is in the ambphibs... I crossed the 53 and the 60 series up in my head. I was out of that area of work by the time the 60 series was introduced. It was all 53/71 stuff, and in a jump forward, to some 92's and MTU Stuff...

Guest AzTraveller

FYI Heads UP;

For any serious 4x4 and/or truck diesel conversions goto: 4btswaps.com

This site/forum covers the Cummins 4bt & 6bt engine swaps. Real Torquers.

I've noted on another forum (18to1.com/forum) LD28 swaps into Zcars, with many of the L28 parts compatable (exhaust, turbo, and such).

The GM 6.2L and 6.5L weren't very good diesels, however, the GM DuraMax is Fantastic. For a Zcar, you may wish to wait for the new GM smallblock version of the DuraMax coming out real soon. It'd be perfect size and would bolt up to automatics like the 700R4 (overdrive), requiring a 3.07 or 2.80 rear end and you're on your way ! ! !

:mparty:

The new modular diesle slated for production at Tonawanda Engine Facility for 2010?

My bud ran their CDA Facility, big plans for that engine.

Same place that made the Corvair Engine... Don't know how that bodes for GM Tonawanda... LOL

Here is a press release for this new diesel engine. Really state of the art technology in a diesel and built inhouse by GM.

TONAWANDA, N.Y. - General Motors Corp. will introduce a new, state-of-the-art 4.5L V-8 Duramax turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent, reduces CO2 emissions by 13 percent and cuts particulates and NOx emissions by at least 90 percent for North American light duty trucks and the HUMMER H2 built after 2009.

The premium V-8 diesel is expected to deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement while maintaining a significant fuel efficiency advantage over comparable-output gasoline engines.

The new dual-overhead cam, four-valve V-8 diesel engine will fit within the same space of a small-block V-8 gasoline engine. This compact size is made possible by using integral cylinder head exhaust manifolds, integral cam cover intake manifolds and a narrow block.

"This new GM light duty diesel is expected to become a favorite among customers who require excellent towing ability and fuel efficiency," said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Global Powertrain and Quality. "It will meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards, and it will be compliant in all 50 states, making it one of the cleanest diesel vehicles ever produced."

Environmental benefits of the new engine include a 13-percent reduction in CO2 versus gasoline engines, and at least a 90-percent reduction in particulates and NOx compared to diesel vehicles today. This will be GM's first engine to use a selective catalytic reduction NOx aftertreatment system with a diesel particulate filter to help achieve the Tier 2 Bin 5 and LEV 2 emissions standards.

Technical highlights of the engine include aluminum cylinder heads with integrated manifolding; a variable-vane turbocharger with intercooling; a Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) block for a stronger and lighter engine base (compared to lower-strength aluminum or heavier grey cast iron); and fracture-split main bearing caps and connecting rods for a precise fit. An electronically controlled, ultra-high-pressure, common-rail fuel system is used, which has the ability to inject fuel five times per combustion event to control noise and emissions.

"This new V-8 is not only a clean diesel meeting the toughest emissions requirements in North America, it also delivers an effortless performance feel because of its high torque across the speed range," said Charlie Freese, executive director of GM Powertrain Diesel Engineering. "It is also significantly quieter than other diesels on the road today, with noise and vibration performance approaching gasoline V-8 levels."

Freese said the new V-8's compact size enables it to fit in the envelope of a gasoline small-block engine, which provides GM the flexibility to introduce this engine in a wide variety of vehicle applications should there be future market demand.

The premium V-8 diesel engine is expected to deliver class-leading refinement, horsepower and torque and fulfill multiple vehicle applications with ratings in excess of 310 horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque.

GM (Opel, Saab, Vauxhall and GMDAT ) currently offers 17 diesel engine variants in 45 vehicle lines around the world. GM sells more than one million diesel engines annually, with products that offer a range of choices from the 1.3L four-cylinder diesel engine sold in the Opel Agila and Corsa, up to the 6.6L V-8 Duramax diesel sold in full-size vans, heavy duty pickups and medium duty trucks in the U.S.

GM first introduced the Duramax diesel 6.6L V-8 in the U.S. in the 2001 model year and since then, customer enthusiasm for this heavy duty diesel has been outstanding. In fact, GM's heavy duty pickup truck market share has jumped nearly tenfold in the six years that Duramax engines have been offered.

Diesel Power's Take: It's about time! While the 6.6 Duramax has plenty of fans, there have also been plenty of half-ton owners that would have loved a diesel option. It looks like they may soon have one, and a good one at that.

Is there a photo that accompanies that story Palmetto?

When they made the announcement at Tonawanda earlier this year my buddy was told 'dress nice today, and meet us at 1030 for a meeting'

Ended up they wanted him on the podium during the announcement to the local press!

He was not comfortable in that role...LOL

Is there a photo that accompanies that story Palmetto?

When they made the announcement at Tonawanda earlier this year my buddy was told 'dress nice today, and meet us at 1030 for a meeting'

Ended up they wanted him on the podium during the announcement to the local press!

He was not comfortable in that role...LOL

Hey Tony D-

I am having trouble with getting photos into the thread boxes, copy and paste does not work, and when I try to do a "insert images" it is not transfering over. There was a great photo of the block that went with the article and I wanted to post it with it but couldn't.

I am hoping the that this engine goes thru for GM, more business for us. Things are really bad in the automotive manufacturing area at the moment. If GM goes under we will be in a world of hurt, thats for sure.

Guest AzTraveller
Cummins 600 (5.9L) Has 325 bhp (242 kW) @ 2900rpm/600ft-lbs tq (813 Nm) @ 1600rpm.

I have this engine in my truck (05 dodge ram 3500) and even with its crappy little turbo, it tows like none other. You could use your Z to tow another car to the race track!! After major suspension upgrades though, of course.

This truck will get 17mpg towing a 27.5ft 5th wheel trailer fully loaded (7 tons I believe? maybe more), and 24/27mpg hwy/city.

This engine is amazing. With basic tuning, you can fix all of the problems it has **transmission lag (my dad got an automatic, great...) **decent throttle response can be changed to instant **power output can nearly double safely on this bottom end

What else can get you 1000ft/tq for the cost of this engine? These are actually pretty reasonable.

Heavy though...put it in a later model Z, the s30 will nosedive....unless of course there are some firewall modifications...put the weight in the center of the car, duh! Easier said than done.

I love this engine, its going to outlast both my dad and I, not to mention the truck its in.

Goto 4btswaps.com forums and take a look in their "turbo" sections. You'll be able to tune up that turbo, or swap it for one that will REALLY bring out the beast in your Cummins, without harming it. They even cover "combos".

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AzTraveller

BTW, the 4BTswaps.com site recently discussed the MB300 5 cyl diesel as great for small to mid range swaps. Additionally, the Auto tranny that comes with it is designed to handle the engines output, even with excessive boost (35PSI). You may wish to seriously consider this combo in your Z, instead of the heavy, gutless 6.2L/6.5L. AND it winds up to 5500RPM :icon46: