HybridZ

Oil Pan Magnets

Challenger

Well I've seen a couple oil pan drain plugs that have the magnets on them. Really helps keep crud out of the oil if you are munching something in the motor.

I suppose you could epoxy a rare earth magnet to the fill plug if you can't find the particular plug.

L6 drain plugs have a M16.4-1.33 thread(SAE?) with a 21mm head if that helps looking for a generic part.

use an epoxy that is impervious to oil and one that holds really well, and put it in the sump, but away from the pickup tube, as they have the strength to suck particles right off a magnet if they are revved high enough.

I have tiny magnets that I glue to my drain plugs that can pick up an entire screwdriver and they are smaller than a dime, and about 8mm thick.

I knew a guy at a slaughterhouse, and got a good supply (read 'lifetime') of slightly used "Cow Magnets" that I have been JB-Welding into the front and rear of the oil pans every time I drop one...

You can hose-clamp them to the oil filter as well...or simply get a big, strong alnico magnet and stick it on the pan or the oil filter---it won't go anywhere as long as you aren't playing 'Dukes of Hazard'...

I prefer to stick it front and rear though...I saw someone stick an external magnet under the pickup screen one time---er... nice thinking, but if anything gets knocked free, where does it go???

I have been putting magnets on my oil filters for over 30 years and have never had one fall off. If the magnet is strong enough to attract metal shavings , it will be strong enough to hold to the filter can.

Gary

I knew a guy at a slaughterhouse, and got a good supply (read 'lifetime') of slightly used "Cow Magnets" that I have been JB-Welding into the front and rear of the oil pans every time I drop one...

You can hose-clamp them to the oil filter as well...or simply get a big, strong alnico magnet and stick it on the pan or the oil filter---it won't go anywhere as long as you aren't playing 'Dukes of Hazard'...

I prefer to stick it front and rear though...I saw someone stick an external magnet under the pickup screen one time---er... nice thinking, but if anything gets knocked free, where does it go???

DAMN, JBWELD!

i should have known :icon_frow

I'm going to order another fill plug and jb weld my strontium mag to it.

sank-yew, TonayDee! :D

It won't fall off, but they can shift around a little bit from impacts and jarring movements.. I was referring to clamping the Cow Magnets to the filter---they are round cylindrical magnets (for those who don't know what Cow Magnets look like) and if you don't hose clamp em' they all end up on the bottom of the filter after the first good bump!

Flatter Alnicos will stick on the filters and not move around at all, because they have a lot more surface area in contact with the ferrous alloy.

It won't fall off, but they can shift around a little bit from impacts and jarring movements.. I was referring to clamping the Cow Magnets to the filter---they are round cylindrical magnets (for those who don't know what Cow Magnets look like) and if you don't hose clamp em' they all end up on the bottom of the filter after the first good bump!

Flatter Alnicos will stick on the filters and not move around at all, because they have a lot more surface area in contact with the ferrous alloy.

ok so it can shift around?

im talking about putting some JB weld onto a check plug and putting that onto the transmission fill/check hole. i dont wanna shove a moo magnet in my transmission.

:-(