HybridZ

Fender Mirror Template?

ok, so I mounted my fender mirrors today and function-wise they're perfect.

compared to pictures of the stock JDM ones, they're not in the exact same place

I mounted them both 19.5 inches away from where the actual fender starts.(right after the headlight bucket)

they are also basically as far out as you can go on top of the fender.

now, you probably have 3 questions

1. Why did I not go off of the template for the S30?

Half of the actual mirrors are under the fender(the part with the spring to spring-load the mirror in place). Now when you make your mock up and sit in the drivers seat and test everything out, you figure it's perfect but when you take the fender off you'll see that the bottom part of the mirrors hit the frame. Not really a very important part of the frame but I honestly did not want to go cutting away on it, that's just me.

**Picture to come in the morning for now I have the S30 template that I drew on on paint to show you what I mean.

280zxfendermirrormockup.jpg

The Red line shows how the frame contours under the fender. following my 19.5 inches forward puts the mirrors right in the corner where the frame starts to get narrower, giving the bottom half of the mirror clearance. The blue circles are where the mirrors end up if you follow the s30 template. looking at where the mirrors end up in comparison to the tires, the mirrors should be a little closer to the headlight bucket than the windshield.

*note, I used the s30 template in inches not centimeters. using the template in centimeters doesn't even make sense and is obviously wrong for the s130.

2. Why didn't I mount the mirrors staggered like in the s30 template?

The passenger side mirror ends up being just as useless as the one mounted on the door. if not, less. Get a Broadway mirror. problem solved.

**The Drivers side mirror is twice as good as the door mounted one. Definitely a Plus!

3.Should you copy these instructions entirely?

No, this is what I did that I'm sharing with you, If you want to use it feel free, if you want to make your own improvements or go a different route go ahead. We all have our own personal preferences, I'm just trying to help fellow zx owners out.

cheers! :-D

The Red line shows how the frame contours under the fender.

I don't understand why you have drawn those red S130-series 'frame contour' lines on a template for the S30-series cars.

Give it just a few months and that file is going to be bouncing around the 'net, posted by all sorts of people who can't remember where they got it from and have no idea what it relates to.

The blue circles are where the mirrors end up if you follow the s30 template.

Huh? The original template measurements were taken using the headlamp bucket to front wing ( fender ) joint as one of the datum points. Judging by where your blue points are sited, you literally cannot have followed the template measurements for the S30-series and transposed them to your S130 - can you?

And which S30 template are you talking about anyway? Did you follow the original RHD template measurements or the transposed LHD version?

I had an S130 Template made up for someone here and was going to give it to them at MSA, but they fell off the face of the earth...and I suppose I probably have shredded the cardboard template back in June after I got laid off and started cleaning things out...

The photo diagram above by JSRB26ZCar was for a RHD car, and if you followed those directions, I can see where you ended up with problems on an LHD Car.

The mirrors do need to be staggered so you can see down the side of the car properly---thing is the RHD stagger will give the results you mentioned if applied to a LHD Vehicle. For the life of me I can't remember the 'back from the headlight bucket crease' dimension, but it was less than half a sheet of legal paper.

Most people I've seen that mount their mirrors without using a proper template put them too far back on the fender, and too far inward. Giving poor results. The stock fender mirrors are very effective showing the entire side of the car, as well as the entire lane to the left and right of the vehicle from the doors back. They pretty much take away blind spots altogether...even with the crappy small inside rearview mirror. Like mentioned, add a Broadway and you should never be cutting anybody off...

I do have a Fairlady 280 Z(X) sitting at home that I suppose I could pull the template off of again...

Whenever I get back home.

The photo diagram above by JSRB26ZCar was for a RHD car..........

Actually, that's MY diagram. I took the measurements from my Fairlady 240ZG ( obviously RHD ) and drew them up on a scan from a Nissan 'Service Shuho' booklet on the 240ZG model because it offered a nice overhead outline drawing of the 240ZG to give the dimensions on. I did this in response to a request for help on the classiczcars.com forum.

At the time, I pointed out that the mirror mounting points are assymetric and would need to be transposed to give ideal LHD lounting dimensions.

If you remember Tony, you yourself took the original diagram and made an LHD version from it. Both of these versions are now knocking around, bouncing off the walls at various forums with people 'not remembering' whether they have the RHD or LHD version. Cue mucho confusion.

Now we have another one to thicken the plot and muddy the waters.........

well if you follow the S30 diagram in centimeters it just plain doesn't make sense for the s130's, they come up too short. So, the only idea that would pop in your head if you're trying to make it work is to use something other than centimeters, with measuring tape out, inches look like they make more sense. and that's where they would end up.

where I mounted them is 19.5 in forward which is 49.5 cm

and according to your diagram that you made. the furthest forward one of them should go is 19.5 but in centimeters which would be smaller than a ruler length away from the headlight bucket.

also, you would see what I was saying about the frame right after you take off the fender. knowing how the frame is shaped under the fender is important so that you know if the bottom of the mirrors will be hitting it or not.

I'm just trying to help, I don't see why so much negativity has to be brought out. Now I feel like we're on Zilvia

well if you follow the S30 diagram in centimeters it just plain doesn't make sense for the s130's, they come up too short. So, the only idea that would pop in your head if you're trying to make it work is to use something other than centimeters, with measuring tape out, inches look like they make more sense. and that's where they would end up.

So, let me get this straight in my head here: You don't think that the metric dimensions given for an RHD S30-series car are going to work on your LHD S130-series car ( OK - I'm with you so far ) so you decide to pretend that the metric dimensions can be converted to Inches, and use them instead. That's it - you lost me. You and me are not on the same planet.......

where I mounted them is 19.5 in forward which is 49.5 cm

and according to your diagram that you made. the furthest forward one of them should go is 19.5 but in centimeters which would be smaller than a ruler length away from the headlight bucket.

Yes. Definately different planets.

also' date=' you would see what I was saying about the frame right after you take off the fender. knowing how the frame is shaped under the fender is important so that you know if the bottom of the mirrors will be hitting it or not.[/quote']

But really, what ON EARTH has this got to do with the diagram that I originally made? You have now drawn approximations of S130-series upper chassis sections onto an S30-series diagram, which is TOTALLY meaningless. Your chosen mirror positions are also totally meaningless as any kind of data for future reference.

I'm just trying to help, I don't see why so much negativity has to be brought out. Now I feel like we're on Zilvia

Maybe your intentions were good, but the result is just a confusing jumble. I can't see that it will benefit anybody, and I'm doubtful that the mirror positions on your own car work properly or even look 'right'. You are also making it sound as though the measured ( factory! ) positions on the original car are in some way wrong.

'Zilvia' I never heard of. Perhaps that's a blessing.......

ok well let me put it in simpler words so you and your people from your planet can understand

I posted what I did as an option for some ZX owners to do. I supplied at least one way to mount their mirrors.

Last I checked, this is what this thread is for.

I at least contributed a solution. All you've accomplished so far is tell me how i'm wrong, oh and establishing that that diagram is originally yours, CONGRATULATIONS, get over it.

This is my car, and I will do what I want to it just like any car owner has the right to do things their way with their own style. Just because you don't like how I mounted them doesn't mean i'm wrong. Maybe it's not exactly in the same spot the JDM 280's mirrors are at but it works.

learn to be less negative. I'm simply trying to share my knowledge here and you might not appreciate it but some people do. It's people like you that make others not want to ask for help with their cars without feeling stupid. and it's people like you that will turn hybridz into another Zilvia where people constantly hate on each other and try their best to prove the other wrong.

I'm no longer arguing with you btw, so don't even waste your time.

Guest 280ZForce
ok well let me put it in simpler words so you and your people from your planet can understand

I posted what I did as an option for some ZX owners to do. I supplied at least one way to mount their mirrors.

Last I checked, this is what this thread is for.

I at least contributed a solution. All you've accomplished so far is tell me how i'm wrong, oh and establishing that that diagram is originally yours, CONGRATULATIONS, get over it.

This is my car, and I will do what I want to it just like any car owner has the right to do things their way with their own style. Just because you don't like how I mounted them doesn't mean i'm wrong. Maybe it's not exactly in the same spot the JDM 280's mirrors are at but it works.

learn to be less negative. I'm simply trying to share my knowledge here and you might not appreciate it but some people do. It's people like you that make others not want to ask for help with their cars without feeling stupid. and it's people like you that will turn hybridz into another Zilvia where people constantly hate on each other and try their best to prove the other wrong.

I'm no longer arguing with you btw, so don't even waste your time.

Wow, I don't even know where to start with this.

itsaprothing... chill man. All thats being said is that it makes no sense to use a s30 template for an s130 to begin with.

then drawing s130 frame lines on (again) an s30 template... makes no sense at all.

then trying to compare mounting measurements for an s30 to an s130 and saying it wont work and doesn't make any sense... well of course not, they are 2 completely different chassis!

Those mounting dims are for an s30 only and s30 does not mean s130.. and yes, they are in cm and yes, they are correct in cm for the positioning FOR AN s30 ONLY.

So now you've doodled all over a s30 template with s130 frame rails and your own s130 mounting points... anyone who sees this pic in the future is going to have no idea what it's regarding and it'll get loitered all over the net misinforming people because they will think it's for an s30 since IT IS an s30 template.

Best bet here is to take a bird's eye type of pic of your front end (or use someone else's 280zx pic) and then doodle your frame rail and mounting points on that one to make sense rightfully for all the 280zx owners and not to confuse others for future reference.

And to insult HS30-H, whom is 1 of the original Hybrid members and most knowledgeable Z owners on any of these Z forums, especially for that of international credibility to knowing all the features specified to jdm Zs and etc, you better watch who's toes you step on and just listen to what he has to say as he's offering advice to help this forum not loiter misguiding info and keep it cleaned up. UNLIKE Zilvia which is full of a bunch of idiots who talk out their a**.

He's just clearly making a point that it makes NO SENSE to draw s130 stuff on a s30 template and confuse everyone about it.

Actually, that's MY diagram. I took the measurements from my Fairlady 240ZG ( obviously RHD ) and drew them up on a scan from a Nissan 'Service Shuho' booklet on the 240ZG model because it offered a nice overhead outline drawing of the 240ZG to give the dimensions on. I did this in response to a request for help on the classiczcars.com forum.

At the time, I pointed out that the mirror mounting points are assymetric and would need to be transposed to give ideal LHD lounting dimensions.

If you remember Tony, you yourself took the original diagram and made an LHD version from it. Both of these versions are now knocking around, bouncing off the walls at various forums with people 'not remembering' whether they have the RHD or LHD version. Cue mucho confusion.

Now we have another one to thicken the plot and muddy the waters.........

Point well taken Alan---that was your diagram to begin with...like you said it floats around!

My reference was only in relation to who posted it here...the credit for the original diagram should have been made in the original post. I considered it, but I'm groggy and 11 hours ahead of the Time Zone I'm supposed to be in...

And I've been informed Lufthansa has cancelled my flight, so it looks like I'm going to be routing back through Heathrow...eventually...

Muddy the Waters? Me...never!:coollook:

and Tony, a lot of people would appreciate it if you got those measurements

lucky you, I wish I had a fairlady 280zx -__-

Here is what I will do:

When I get back from 'The Desert'...

I will go an pull my mirrors off my Fairlady 280Z (X) and do a proper measurement to the centre of the mounting holes.

I just was informed my original 280ZX drawings have arrived in the mail back home, so I will transpose those to the line drawing, same as Alan's S30 Diagram. I will CLEARLY label on the diagram LHD and RHD locations (most likely two different drawings for clarity's sake).

I will ALSO label the drawing as "Mine"...LOL I can be creative with this point...

Then I will post it somewhere---maybe here. Probably will post it to ClassicZ's as well.

That should give people a place to find the correct information and know if it's for an LHD or RHD vehicle straightaway.

Hummus and Garlic Cloves for me tonight...la la la la la la la la:hijack:

itsaprothing, are you a member of the West Side Z Coalition? Marcus at WSZC jsut affixed his fender mirrors using Alan's Template but I never asked if he transposed R&L and haven't seen the car since he did the change so... Anyway, if you are in Burbank, you should check them out---they have a site on meetup. The coordinate with Group Z in Orange County on events and drives, etc...

Guest 280ZForce

I originally saw Alan's s30 rhd template on classic z car like 3 years ago and I flipped it and clearly labeled it myself, I know it's been around the web as well...

lhdmirrors.jpg

Well 280zForce, what you are saying is true, and I did mention that myself. but of course I had to base the measurements I was going to make off of something. Anyways, point was well taken from you. I will take off the diagram so it can't go that far and avoid confusion. And pictures will be up soon. I'm lagging it I know.

As for HS30-H I could care less of reputation or popularity. No offense to anybody, but whatever attitude is given to me is what you will get back. And it is no different in terms of respect.

And Tony, I actually haven't heard of WSCZ until now but it gives an explanation to why I see lines of Z's on the freeway to work sometimes haha. I was not a member, but I am now! :-D

As for HS30-H I could care less of reputation or popularity. No offense to anybody, but whatever attitude is given to me is what you will get back. And it is no different in terms of respect.

"Attitude"?

As in life, so on a forum like this; Do and write stupid things, and you will be treated as stupid - until proven otherwise.