HybridZ

which way to angle radiator for better down force ?

So I'm reading this, knowing my 280 suffers from overheating. I've always wanted to cut the core support and redo it out of steel tube. My friend has a z31 and the radiator is angled and I wanted to copy that idea, however....

Does angling the radiator forward actually have any effect on the cooling efficiency of the setup? IE does it cool beter or worse or no difference.

As long as it doesn't make it worse I would like to do this as it would give me more room for larger cooling fans (3 row AL radiator)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I angled my radiator forward as part of an overall philosophy for handling the air that enters the front of the car. I want every air molecule that enters an opening in the front of the car to have a purpose. That is, air entering the front of the car should either cool something or feed the engine.

In my case, the forward angle of the radiator allows me to establish ducting before and after the radiator that should reduce the drag coefficient of the car, increase the cooling efficiency, and possibly create a little downforce. The angle of the radiator is only part of the package. For the angle of the radiator to have any meaning, several other things have to happen: The ducting ahead of the radiator must cleanly slow the air (expand) to the face of the radiator. The ducting ahead of the radiator must be sealed to the face of the radiator (I use a rubber gasket). The ducting behind the radiator must reaccelerate the air back into the free stream.

It took a lot of effort to establish the radiator ducting on my car. To do so, I designed my front frame rails so that the radiator could sit low and be unobstructed. The frame section that normally crosses in front of the radiator has been moved back in line with the sway bar.

PICT0035.JPG

The placement of every component on the front of the engine was performed with the intention of keeping the exit plane of the radiator open. The alternator was moved to the bottom, the belt tensioner was kept as low as possible, and the radiator hoses were routed to the sides.

DSCN0775.jpg

It takes a lot of planning to do this right. If you are not planning to attend to all of the details that make the forward angled radiator beneficial, then you would be better off spending the time to assure that the radiator is sealed to the radiator support. The angle of the radiator means nothing unless the other details are in place.

My personal experience has been the that the radiator provides no recognizable affect on down force. the air velocity and mass flowing through the radiator is not enough to do this. What did help the downforce issue was that angling the radiator one way or the other (goal was to reduce the "vertical height") which then allows the changing of bodywork and hood angles to promote the downforce (area within the first 2 feet of the front edge of car or hood)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

So is that basically saying the radiator in the z31 was angled only so they could make the nose of the car slope more? Because they don't accelerate the air out or slow it down going into the radiator.

I'm mainly looking to do this to get more room for cooling fans and knuckels, I'm not keen on the idea of putting a huge hole in my hood to vent the air... might attract a little to much attention for a daily.

So basically I'm better off just putting the radiator infront of the core support?

-Ed

The main reason that the vette and Z31 angle their radiators is so that they can fit a larger radiator under the same hood line. If placing the radiator at at angle gives you the benefit of using a larger radiator, better fans, or more room, then go for it.

You don't have to cut a hole in the hood just because you angled the radiator. The air will find its way out, but if the air exiting the radiator has an easy path to a low pressure area then you have an easier time keeping the engine cool. If you don't plan on some sort of hole in the hood, then perhaps angling the radiator rearward would be best. If you take that path, make sure that you seal the radiator core to the opening so that air will not spill around the edges. Air spilling around the radiator rather than going through the cooling fins absolutely ruins the cooling efficiency. Also make sure you have a good air dam with an under tray so that you create a good low pressure area behind the radiator. For an example of this, look at a new Corvette.

I don't have a problem venting the hood, but a huge vent might attract a little too much attention and beg to be messed with. I don't have a problem ducting air to vent through the fenders either, infact I think it would be pretty neat. My concern though is... I honestly have no idea how big or small these vents would need to be to effectively evacuate the hot air around the engine, etc. I have to do major surgery to the front of the car anyway, but I don't want to do it wrong and it up with something worse than what I had. I hope that makes sense.

I can use common sense and logic to guestimate airflow and size but from what I've seen and learned on here, this is something that even a minor mistake can make a huge difference.

NICE work guys! our Lambo has the radiator angled forward and is ducted to flow out through the front bonnet like some of you have and it has never seemed to get light in the front at speed. I never understood why they didn't keep the vents in the hood on the later cars.

lambo029.jpg

While I was finalizing the design of my front end, I did a little bit of research. One of the best references that I found was a web site about cooling wankel powered aircraft. The author of the web page (Paul Lamar ) has since removed the content from the web and published a book with the content. The web page that links to the author is here:

http://www.rotaryeng.net/how-to-cool12.html

The web page and the book that sprang from it are a great compilation of data that sprang from research on cooling piston engine powered fighter aircraft at the end of World War Two. This book does a great job of summarizing the information from Kucheman and Weber's "Aerodynamics of Propulsion", and from London and Kay's "Compact Heat Exchangers". read Paul Lamar's book.

Damn! I knew I should have Pdf'ed that entire site. It was an awesome source of info. I even tracked down and bought "Aerodynamics of Propulsion" because of that page. Looks like I have another book to buy...

• 5 weeks later...

Well I am definately no rocket scientist, but if you were to push all that air out the hood, would that not cause more lift on the back end? You may create a small ammt of downforce on the front doing that, but instinct somehow tells me it wont overcome the negative effects of the lift on the rear. If you put on proper side skirts and a decent rear diffuser, wouldnt it be better to have that air going under the car? One of the things I was thinking of doing is try and create a good low pressure area under the car from the axel back.

The C5's have their radiator tilt back toward the firewall and that's how I got mine set up. I had to do this because I am using the C5 air intake duct. I also have an opening on the top to let air escape if it won't go thru the radiator. Not sure how affective it is yet cuz the car is still not complete yet.

From what i have researched the tilt of the radiator, foward or aft, is not what is important. The important factors are ducting and if you will notice most cars make use of the low pressure zone that naturally hapens after the air has hit the front of the car. What this does is use the vacuum of the low pressure zone to extract air through the radiator. Also the opening that air goes through to get to the radiator only has to be around 80% of the size of the radiator. All this comming together causes better cooling, better COD, and more downforce as stated by not causing eddies under the car. Plus you can also vent from your radiator box to your brakes. Plus it is a good time to take some sheet aluminum and make your underbelly look like that of a corvette or elise.