HybridZ

S30 drag strip spring rates???

That's kind of like asking what the weather will be like 3 months from now. What car, what engine, transmission, rear end, tires, etc. YOu've got to give these guys somewhere to start. Heck - I run mine on stock springs & shot KYB struts but I'm not a serious racer. What is your goal? If you want folks to spend their time and impart their knowledge & experience then you need to be willing to invest a little more than the 15 seconds it took you to type the question.

The stock front springs and 250lb 8 inch coil over conversion springs in the rear are good for 1.5xx 60foots from my 302/240z. The stiff rear springs don't allow the rear to squat much off the line which keeps the axle angles straight preventing breakage of axle components. Both ends have stock replacement strut inserts.

img9577.html

img9577.html

Hey JustJim. Dude - you have a '58 Morris Minor. My GF in college had one that here dad had fully restored and it was a beauty. Then again, her 987cc 4-banger wouldn't get down the road like yours. Once it was up to speed, though, I could terrorize folks on the curvy section of the highway pretty well.

Question - would adjustable struts accomplish the same thing as your higher spring rates - IE valve them to the super stiff mode in the rear and allow the front to rais a bit?

That's kind of like asking what the weather will be like 3 months from now. What car, what engine, transmission, rear end, tires, etc. YOu've got to give these guys somewhere to start. Heck - I run mine on stock springs & shot KYB struts but I'm not a serious racer. What is your goal? If you want folks to spend their time and impart their knowledge & experience then you need to be willing to invest a little more than the 15 seconds it took you to type the question.

75Z

LS1/T56

WELDED R200 W/3.54

275-50-15 BFG DRAG RADIALS (26X11X15 TIRE)

does this help........and i was thinking about 200-250lb (rear) and 180(F)

Katman,

Not Yakima - the sun shines here, snow - maybe.

240Zprace - much better - thanks! Those spring rates should work fine for you. On top of that I'd recommend some adjustable struts to further tune things. If you have the rear squat under control a little lift in the front for weight transfer could help. Have you made any trips down the strip yet? What is the tune on your LS1? My '98 with the ECU reflashed to 2002 parameters is running about 390 HP with stock internals, 315 to the rear wheels. I have a 3.70 LSD and 205/16 street radials.

Here's my personal experience.

In first gear I have to launch at 1,500 RPM and carefully open the throttle to avoid frying the tires and destroying the suspension & half shaft universals with wheel hop. Once I'm in 2nd its no problem.

You'll be launching at higher RPM with the taller slicks with better traction, the 3.54, and stiffer spring rates but you may not be able to go over about 3,500-4,000. You'll have to experiment there. Once you get to 2nd just bury the throttle & hang on. Watch the rpm very closely because you'll bounce off your rev limiter in 1st & 2nd before you know it. With those tires & the 3.54 you'll probably never get out of 4th. My combination is good for 120 MPH at 6,000 RPM in 4th. You should be good for 135-140 at redline.

Have fun.

Hey JustJim. Dude - you have a '58 Morris Minor. My GF in college had one that here dad had fully restored and it was a beauty. Then again, her 987cc 4-banger wouldn't get down the road like yours. Once it was up to speed, though, I could terrorize folks on the curvy section of the highway pretty well.

Question - would adjustable struts accomplish the same thing as your higher spring rates - IE valve them to the super stiff mode in the rear and allow the front to rais a bit?

Adjustable struts might work if it's possible to crank in some super stiff rebound. It's easier and cheaper to just add stiffer rear springs.

Here's the Morris:

wheelsup

240zprace - Mine ran a 12.9@110 on the set-up I described weighing 2,830 lbs plus another 220 for me at the time. I had a 2.0 60' which you ought to be able to reduce to about a 1.6 with your tires and a little practice. If so you should get into the low 12's no problem.

Just Jim - Sweet. Where'd you stuff the motor in that thing? I don't remember there being a lot of room under the hood although the little four wouldn't have been much shorter than a V8.

240zprace - Mine ran a 12.9@110 on the set-up I described weighing 2,830 lbs plus another 220 for me at the time. I had a 2.0 60' which you ought to be able to reduce to about a 1.6 with your tires and a little practice. If so you should get into the low 12's no problem.

Just Jim - Sweet. Where'd you stuff the motor in that thing? I don't remember there being a lot of room under the hood although the little four wouldn't have been much shorter than a V8.

On my 280z I run stock springs with two coils cut. Car weighed 3040 with me in it when I cut a 1.7 60ft on 245/45-16 street tires. I dropped the tire pressure to 20psi. The Illumina struts were set softer in back then the front.

• 1 year later...