HybridZ

Distributor Overheating??

Ok this is strange. I have a 83 280zxt and I took the car to a local shop that specializes in z cars.

So as Im going up there and the car just dies on me. Hasn't done that in forever and wouldn't start. I had to have it towed to the shop and when it gets there it starts right up no problem.

The guy tells me that my distributor is overheating and needs to be replaced. He also said its a common problem in these turbo cars, but I was sure about that seeing as I have been lurking here and on other forums for awhile and never heard of it.

So what I want to know is, is he telling the truth? Is there a quick fix for this or do I need another distributor? And how hard is it to change myself? Thanks a bunch guys.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

A new distributor/CAS unit will run several hundred dollars retail.

The new ignitor you need will be gleaned from any local junkyard off any newer Nissan (240SX's seem nice...)

To verify the issue, carry a can of 'freeze-it' and when it dies again, goi out and spray it on the ignitor module attached to the coil bracket. Try to restart, if it goes...then you found and confirmed your problem.

If it doesn't...then try the CAS unit with another freezing shot. If that does it, then the CAS is indeed suffering some sort of heat-related failure. But generally it's the Ignitor that gives out way before any of the optical components in the CAS. Newer Nissans DO have a failure reputatation for the Distributors going bad due to heat...but they have the ignitor unit integral with them. My brother just went through this a month ago on his altima. The older ZXT's have separates, and curiously the new dizzys are available in separates on the aftermarket as well---seems the market realizes it's a component failure...and usually not the optical trigger/pickup, but the actual transistor switching componentry (ignitor) the more things change, the more they stay the same. Curiously Nissan only makes the dissy assembly available for late models...at high cost.

The changeover of the ignitor or CAS assembly is straightforward...just remember to get a GOOD GROUND on both units (the CAS has a separate little spade terminal for it, the ignitor grounds through it's mounting bolts, so the metal needs to be clean and tight to work well or premature failure will result.)

If I can talk my brother through it, you can do it...trust me! LOL

dude the same exact thing is happening right now to my car! a local z guy said the same exact thing to me, said the distrbutors on these older turbo cars are known to get weak. i also have an 83 280xt. its like when i start up the car when its cold it runs fine idles great when i turn it off i cant start it again until the car cools down or sits for awhile. i was hoping it wasnt a distributor cuz i know they go for a few hundred....

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

A new distributor/CAS unit will run several hundred dollars retail.

The new ignitor you need will be gleaned from any local junkyard off any newer Nissan (240SX's seem nice...)

To verify the issue, carry a can of 'freeze-it' and when it dies again, goi out and spray it on the ignitor module attached to the coil bracket. Try to restart, if it goes...then you found and confirmed your problem.

If it doesn't...then try the CAS unit with another freezing shot. If that does it, then the CAS is indeed suffering some sort of heat-related failure. But generally it's the Ignitor that gives out way before any of the optical components in the CAS. Newer Nissans DO have a failure reputatation for the Distributors going bad due to heat...but they have the ignitor unit integral with them. My brother just went through this a month ago on his altima. The older ZXT's have separates, and curiously the new dizzys are available in separates on the aftermarket as well---seems the market realizes it's a component failure...and usually not the optical trigger/pickup, but the actual transistor switching componentry (ignitor) the more things change, the more they stay the same. Curiously Nissan only makes the dissy assembly available for late models...at high cost.

The changeover of the ignitor or CAS assembly is straightforward...just remember to get a GOOD GROUND on both units (the CAS has a separate little spade terminal for it, the ignitor grounds through it's mounting bolts, so the metal needs to be clean and tight to work well or premature failure will result.)

If I can talk my brother through it, you can do it...trust me! LOL

I am definately going to try this little test when i get back to hell paso!

You can get the Freez-It at any Radio Shack---it's what they use for isolating components that have failed due to heat on circuit boards.

More unPC people will use cans of Freon, R134, etc...

Anything to rapidy and positively cool something immediately and not a bunch of stuff around it.

I think Freez-It is siphoned CO2 now. In the old days it wa R12...LOL

Seems there is a rash of 83ZXT ignition failures in the past week or so. Must be a heat wave across the country. Mine failed last week. I am switching to EDIS ignition away from the 83ZXT Dizzy because it has bit me twice already. However, I didn't know that the 83ZXT Dizzy could be upgraded with 240SX parts? That is good to know and I will look into it further.

OTOH, There is no ignitor module on my coil bracket since I use MSII.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...