HybridZ

Overspray on Interior panels

Cutlass372

Hey everyone, when I bought my car there was a light blue overspray on a large majority of the interior panels. What would you guys suggest for cleaning this off? I was thinking paint thinner or turpintine but wasn't sure if it would be to strong as to damage the door panels, seats, and other trim panels. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Elliot.

Whatever method you choose, try it on the back part of the panel or an unseen piece of vinyl, before continuing on anything seen. This is in case you screw up and are now stuck with a fugly part.

The clay bar is kind of a cool idea and I had not thought about that before. Basically, I like chemicals. If I had black plastic or vinyl pieces with overspray, I would not hesitate to spray them with SEM Landau black vinyl dye/paint. With proper preparation (read: clean), the finish is extremely pleasing and looks new. Just my thoughts.

Clay sounds benign and would be the first way to go before dye or paint.

Davy

Clay works because it can grab the (extremely thin) "side" of the dot of paint. I doubt you'll be successful in grabbing the paint dots (overspray) on something as rough as plastic versus a sheet of glass or paint. Not to mention the paint surely "bit into" the plastic (bonded to it). You may be left with using interior trim paint to redo the plastic trim.

LUK.

I gave some Wax and grease remover a try today and it did a pretty good job on the rear strut towers. Some of the paint is on there pretty well though (seats and other plastic pieces), so I think tomorrow im going to give some mineral spirts a try then wipe with soap and water.

If I had black plastic or vinyl pieces with overspray, I would not hesitate to spray them with SEM Landau black vinyl dye/paint. With proper preparation (read: clean), the finish is extremely pleasing and looks new. Just my thoughts.

Funny you should say that, as I just painted every interior panel with that very same stuff! It all looks brand new! Pics to follow! It's great stuff!

Funny you should say that, as I just painted every interior panel with that very same stuff! It all looks brand new! Pics to follow! It's great stuff!

Gary, that's awesome to hear! :2thumbs: I think a few pictures would make some new fans of the stuff. I had excellent results on the pieces I did, but I sold the 260Z a while back (no pics).

Could you use sem trim black instead of landau? Or is trim black just for plastic?

Skunkie, I think the trim paint is for rubber and metal exterior trim, no? The Landau black is made for interior plastic and vinyl. I trust that unless they specify use of one for the other, the answer is "no."

Davy