HybridZ

280z Fuel Injection Hard Starting When Hot

nick77

I recently aquired my uncles 77 Datsun 280z its all stock engine was rebuilt in 93 he put 50 km on the motor driving it home and then sat in his garage since, i went to start it up and fired right away no hesitation. so i proced to get it ready for its long journey home about 600km and a 1 1/2 hr farrie ride home. I changed all the fluids, oils ect. so i take it on a short test drive i notice its not charging so i figure ill take it to my uncles mechanic, since i have no experience with externaly regulated alternators, so i drive down there and get there and he says alternators shot replace that and the regulator so i shut it off and talked to the guy for a while and the i try and start it back up nothing not even trying to start we fidle around and fidle around nothing so about 45 mins later boom it starts so i drive back to my uncles house and have had the same problem for a while not starting when its hot, so to sum it up i thought what would cause the engine to start great cold and not start hot, COOLANT SENSOR.......... so i noticed that the previous mechanic that installed the engne mixed up the wires for the thermotime switch and the water sensor for the ecu the two green for the thermotime switch and the two black wires for the ecus water sensor were mixed up..... Just wanted to share that to all the Fuel Injection guys here.

Nick

My brother owned an 810 some years ago with the same problem. What I did to fix it was to mount an injector/fuel rail cooling fan from a 280zx, wired it up using a thermostatically controlled switch . The car never had hot starting problems again.

dskubitz i was just wanting to share my problem with everyone, it starts perfectly hot every time before it would crank but not start, now cold starts takes a litle cranking, i tryed taking the 2 resistors out of the water sensor but it was worse so i put them in and now it just takes about 20 seconds of cranking on the first start up of the day everything after that is fine.

Nick