HybridZ

Batch vs Sequential injection for turbo application

MazterDizazter

• 1 year later...

In my research, sequential systems switch over to batch fire at higher RPMs, not due to processor speed, but due to the amount of time available to actually provide an open valve to get all the air and fuel into the cylinder. As RPM increases, the time that the valve is open shortens proportionally, and so the injector must either deliever more fuel in a single open event or use more open events to provide that amount of fuel.

Fuel being sprayed at the back of a closed valve does not by any stretch of teh imagination get "wasted". What usually happens is that the fuel that is sprayed will hit the back of the hot valve, and cause the fuel to become vapour and remain suspended in the intake port until the valve opens, to get pulled into the cylinder, at which time the injector is opening again, to provide more fuel.

About the only "performance" benefit that is usually seen is the ability to control rather large injectors at idle and low RPM without over fueling.

This ability to control injectors does have emmisions benefits as well, which is why most OEMs use SFI, they definatly aren't running large enough injectors to need it to keep from overfueling. :lol: One such example is the GM 60 degree V6. In the generation II set-up, uses a batch fire ECM, with 16 lbs/hr injectors, runs just fine, stable idle, no overfueling, etc. (uns better than SFI IMO) In the generation III set-up, the PCM now uses SFI for anything below about 3000 RPM, still uses 16 to 17 lbs/hr injectors depending on the year and actual displacement. SFI was implimented strictly for emmisions.

I've owned or own both, and prefer the batch set-up stock for stock. My genII 3.1 would fire up quickly and reliably, my genIII 3.1 (3100) has ALWAYS been hard to start and sometimes takes a couple tries at starting. I have noticed this with other genIII SFI cars as well.

On a non-emmisions controlled vehicle I would likely keep it simple and use batch fire, unless I was using some very large injectors that over fuel at low RPMs. ;)

Hello chemicalblue i just purchased the haltech e11v2 and i want to do the same thing with my setup, im i able to use the 83 turbo dizzy along with either the ls1 coil packs or the bosch hec715 that i already have, do i just put a plate over the distributor cap since I will not be using the distributor instead i will be using the ls1 coil pack.

im really sure since this is my first time actually going full sequential.