HybridZ

The age old question: Slicks or DR's?

Well I had my LS1Z to the track on friday and drove it on street tires. Went pretty good all in all 1.98 60' lead to a 12.803@111.25

I know I'm leaving a bundle of power at the line as I left at only 3500rpm and the LS1 Fbody guys are saying to leave higher than that. I tried leaving harder on streets and ended up with a 2.66...first gear was a mess. lol

I've got a set of 15x8 wheels that have no tires on them sitting in the garage.

So do I go for a street legal drag radial such as a M/T ET Street Radial (was thinking 235/60/15) or do I go for an all out slick? if so what size?

For the car I have a 280z with the ls1 with a 224/224 .567" lift cam, LS6 intake, sanderson headers, 3" single exhuast and a 6spd with 3.90:1 out back

Thoughts?

If you drive the car to the track and don't want to have to jack it up to change the tires then get some drag radials.If you don't mind swapping wheels or trailer the car then get some slicks.Some 26x8.5x15's should fit your wheels and car without any problem.

I just put some 24.5X8.0X14 Mickey Thompson slicks on my car to replace the 215/60R14 BFG Drag Radials. Now the 60 foots are consistent at about 1.54-1.55. The Drag Radials were good for a best of 1.510 60 foot in cooler weather but weren't consistent. One run would be 1.58 the next 1.70.The car gets trailered to the track so the slicks aren't a problem.It has run a best 1/8 mile of 7.18/94+ (about 11.25 1/4mile) but since the rollbar cut-off is 7.25 and I don't want to put one in, it has been slowed down to run 7.30's.

http://bowtie0069.fotki.com/73108irwindalepix/img1101.html

Your situation may be different..... but here is my experience.

I run MT ET Drags 26x10-15. I have gotten a 1.47 60'. Obviously I don't drive to the track with them.

The 255/50-15 MT ET drag radials are nice, drivable to the track, but wear rather quickly (they are good for ~3000 miles on the street and track combined if you can behave) but I have only been able to get mid and high 1.5 60' times. More often I get low 1.6 times with them.

Jody

Well these would be only for the track. If I got DR's I'd swap them on just before I left and put my street tires back on when I got home. I wouldn't be driving them on the street otherwise.

My only concern with going with slicks is can I actually fit two rims/tires IN the datsun with a jack TO the track...lol I don't mind swapping tires as its for a good cause ;)

obviously the true slick would net a better short time and therefor a better ET, is a slick harder on the driveline than a DR? I've heard that DR's can be as hard or harder on driveline due to less sidewall flex etc.

thoughts on that?

My opinion...

The slicks can cause more damage due to the better traction issue...

The Drag radials don't stick as well but can still cause issues due to the traction, but the drag radials have been known to cause wheel hop if they break loose which can be way more damaging. If that is noticed, never try and drive through the wheel hop. There are plenty of people that have gotten unbelievable short times with the MT Drag radials. It is very nice to put them on at home and not have to worry about changing tires at the track.

Bottom line

If you really don't want to break something... don't drag race :-)

(I trailer the car to the track. The one time I drove the car and raced, I broke something and needed to hitch a ride home and get the trailer.)

Jody