HybridZ

SBC, ground up redesigned Chevy little block, engine code, "R07". YESSSSS!!!

BRAAP

• Administrators

Just did a quick search and nothing came up here on HybridZ concerning the new ground up redesigned Chevrolet NASCAR race engine, (year old now), dubbed the R07.

4.185” bore, 9800 RPM! I’ll take two!!!

Here are just a few highlights, more details can be found in the links below...

Pretty cool architecture, all new ground up design, still a V-8, bore centerline is now 4.5" vs the 4.4" of all other SBC’s. Dizzy is up front now, 6 bolts per cylinder clamping the heads down. In some of the pics I've seen after the port work has been performed, the port geometry and chambers appear to be a little more aggressive/nicer flowing vs the SB 2.2 heads. Port arrangement is no longer mirror image. Lifter bores are staggered in the new block. Revised oil and cooling passages, and the redesign list goes on...

One attribute that really caught my attention was the new coolant routing as it exits the engine. It appears that the coolant still enters the front of the block as before, but now exits the heads just under each of the individual intake ports, offering a more uniform flow of coolant from the block through the heads, eliminating the need for external coolant routing, as was the norm with the previous SBC NASCAR power plant. The coolant passages in the block deck also have a dedicated transfer directly under each exhaust port as well.

Here are some links and pics, enjoy…

(Images courtesy of Super Chevy, HotRod, and Machine Design)

Gorgeous huh?

sucp_0712_01_z+chevy_NASCAR_engine+r07_small_block.jpg

hrdp_0803_15_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

hrdp_0803_03_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

hrdp_0803_01_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

hrdp_0803_02_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

hrdp_0803_05_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

Coolant exits below the "as cast" intake ports...

hrdp_0803_12_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

The Divorced intake runners and valley pan. Note the coolant plenum cast into the valley pan... COOL!!!!

hrdp_0803_04_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

hrdp_0803_10_z+chevy_nascar_engine+.jpg

72056shortcomin_00000050006.jpg

http://machinedesign.com/ContentItem/72056/ChevysR07RacingEngineaChipOfftheOldSmallBlock.aspx

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/stockcar/168821/chevrolet-r07.html

http://www.circletrack.com/featuredvehicles/ctrp_0706_chevrolet_r07_cylinder_heads/index.html

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=32561

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_0712_chevy_r07_nascar_engine/index.html

Curious they move the ports up to near the valve cover flange...and have coolant exiting to a manifold under each intake port for even flow across the head.

Methinks those GMI guys were poaching some ideas of TimZ's L-Engine cooling thread here at Hybrid Z!

LOL

I'm sure Smokey will be happy they finally increased the deck height of the SBC!

Nascar mandates 12:1 compression. I would imagine that custom pistons would be required as they use 6.2 inch or longer rods, 3.25 stroke cranks and 4.185 bores. The bore spacing is different so the crank may not be the same or the rods have different offset. Would be neat to see one.

Why would you want a flat plane crank when it already turns 9800rpm? Run it like it is.

Nascar mandates 12:1 compression. I would imagine that custom pistons would be required as they use 6.2 inch or longer rods, 3.25 stroke cranks and 4.185 bores. The bore spacing is different so the crank may not be the same or the rods have different offset. Would be neat to see one.

Why would you want a flat plane crank when it already turns 9800rpm? Run it like it is.

I thought that I had heard it still uses 4.4" mains spacing with the 4.5" bore spacing, I'll have to check on that. I would also be really surprised if they stuck with the 4.185 bores, unless there is a limit in the rule book somewhere. If they can make the old motors last with .25" cylinder wall thickness than they can make these last and take advantage of bore spacing increase. Of course I guess that depends on how the new coolant passages are designed.

Edit: Nope, looks like they're stuck at 4.185 due to coolant passages. I guess the after market will have to be the ones to give us the 4.25" bore small block.

• Administrators
I've got a friend at RCR that is going to look into what it would cost me to get one of those blocks. Might end up being a lightly damaged one or just one that has "too many miles for us" but I'm not picky.

That sure would look sweet in my '71 240z.:o

I agree! It would be a wicked Z car powerplant...

You meant a complete R07 engine, not just the block right? The bore centerline spacing of the R07 is 4.5” vs the 4.4” bore centerline spacing of all other Small Block Chevy’s which should directly carry over to the rod journal spacing as well, unless offset rods/pistons are used for the inner/outer cylinders. My guess is the rods and pistons do not have staggered offsets to accommodate a crank designed for a narrower bore spacing, meaning cranks and cams will not interchange between the R07 and other Small Block Chevy's, let alone heads, and other valve train components. Aftermarket support now and in the near future will most likely be very specialized and limited, probably on a race team/engine builder, by race team/engine builder basis, such as RCR receiving their own specialized R07 components. I’m sure many aftermarket parts manufactures would be more than willing to manufacture the required components for a privateer R07 build up, such as cranks, rods, pistons, cams, etc, $$,$$$.$$

Something else for the rest of us to consider is, this engine was designed from the ground up for one segment and class of racing, NASCAR! Street use or other racing platforms was not part of the design criteria, though I’m sure it would assimilate to other racing and performance arenas quite well, (fingers crossed we'll see more of this powerplant outside of NASCAR...). Add to that its newness on the NASCAR scene, (only 1 year old now). If one could acquire a complete “over timed” Chevrolet NASCAR R07 engine, you can bet the price for entry will be staggering, (unless you have buddy working for a NASCAR race team :wink: ). The SB2 variant has been run for some time now, and tons of NASCAR take out/over timed SB2 goodies are available to the general public via race shops, eBay, etc, and even the replaced SB2 is a bit of a stretch to duplicate financially for Datsun enthusiasts, let alone the all new super-whiz-bang R07. (I think the SB2.2 is till being utilized in other racing arenas...)

I’m not trying to burst anyones dream of owning such a power plant. I’m sure a truly dedicated individual could scrounge a complete R-07 on a budget and make it a reality, especially someone with connections to a NASACAR team, :wink: , I’m merely trying to keep perspective, the depth and breadth of the gap between us Datsun enthusiasts and recently released NASCAR powerplant technology.

I am curious, if these engines are being released to the public on any level of completion, how much $$,$$$.$$?

I agree! It would be a wicked Z car powerplant...

You meant a complete R07 engine, not just the block right? The bore centerline spacing of the R07 is 4.5†vs the 4.4†bore centerline spacing of all other Small Block Chevy’s which should directly carry over to the rod journal spacing as well, unless offset rods/pistons are used for the inner/outer cylinders. My guess is the rods and pistons do not have staggered offsets to accommodate a crank designed for a narrower bore spacing, meaning cranks and cams will not interchange between the R07 and other Small Block Chevy's, let alone heads, and other valve train components. Aftermarket support now and in the near future will most likely be very specialized and limited, probably on a race team/engine builder, by race team/engine builder basis, such as RCR receiving their own specialized R07 components. I’m sure many aftermarket parts manufactures would be more than willing to manufacture the required components for a privateer R07 build up, such as cranks, rods, pistons, cams, etc, $$,$$$.$$

Something else for the rest of us to consider is, this engine was designed from the ground up for one segment and class of racing, NASCAR! Street use or other racing platforms was not part of the design criteria, though I’m sure it would assimilate to other racing and performance arenas quite well, (fingers crossed we'll see more of this powerplant outside of NASCAR...). Add to that its newness on the NASCAR scene, (only 1 year old now). If one could acquire a complete “over timed†Chevrolet NASCAR R07 engine, you can bet the price for entry will be staggering, (unless you have buddy working for a NASCAR race team :wink: ). The SB2 variant has been run for some time now, and tons of NASCAR take out/over timed SB2 goodies are available to the general public via race shops, eBay, etc, and even the replaced SB2 is a bit of a stretch to duplicate financially for Datsun enthusiasts, let alone the all new super-whiz-bang R07. (I think the SB2.2 is till being utilized in other racing arenas...)

I’m not trying to burst anyones dream of owning such a power plant. I’m sure a truly dedicated individual could scrounge a complete R-07 on a budget and make it a reality, especially someone with connections to a NASACAR team, :wink: , I’m merely trying to keep perspective, the depth and breadth of the gap between us Datsun enthusiasts and recently released NASCAR powerplant technology.

I am curious, if these engines are being released to the public on any level of completion, how much $$,$$$.$$?

Yes I did mean a complete engine. Next time I'm in Charlotte I'm going to try to get over to my friend at RCR and stare at some cylinder heads for a while. I doubt they'd let me take any pictures but if they do you guys will be the first to see them.

I would assume that the main journal spacing is 4.5" also, but GM is currently selling a block with 4.4" main spacing that can be machined to 4.5" bore spacing. They can accommodate the "ROX" canted valve heads which I believe are $1300 (each), not astronomical by any means. There is even a guy on racingjunk selling a one of these blocks (new in the crate) for $3400. They are definitely not be quite the "R07s" level of sophistication, but I have a feeling that these motors will be part of the promised redesign of the canted valve heads that the drag racing world has been begging for.

You're right though, these are by no means budget motors and the chances of me picking one up for anything less than my right arm are pretty slim. Heck I'm still in college after all! But, if by some miracle I can get some awesome deal on anything close to a running motor, I've got a 240z that's looking a little empty under the hood.:-D

Is the bellhousing still SBC or do the Chevy NASCAR motors use a different bolt pattern?

The 426 Hemi was designed as a NASCAR motor, what did it take to get it rocking on the 1/4? Might be similar to what the RO7 might have to do.

My assumption for the hot ticket elcheapo acquisition would be the former Chevrolet NASCAR engine that this one replaced...

I mean, that's probably marginally acceptable for our purposes here, right?

Marginally...

My assumption for the hot ticket elcheapo acquisition would be the former Chevrolet NASCAR engine that this one replaced...

I mean, that's probably marginally acceptable for our purposes here, right?

Marginally...

That's my backup plan. I want to do a 434 with SB2.2 heads. I can get the whole top end for under $2000 (used of course) and the rotating assembly can all be "shelf" parts, more or less. I might need to either do custom sb2 pistons or custom rods as I'm not sure that a 434 is a terribly common rendition of that motor. Still should end up fairly cheap, then there is just the problem of preparing the rest of the car to handle 1000 N/A horsepower.:cry2:

• Administrators
That's my backup plan. I want to do a 434 with SB2.2 heads. I can get the whole top end for under $2000 (used of course) and the rotating assembly can all be "shelf" parts, more or less. I might need to either do custom sb2 pistons or custom rods as I'm not sure that a 434 is a terribly common rendition of that motor. Still should end up fairly cheap, then there is just the problem of preparing the rest of the car to handle 1000 N/A horsepower.:cry2:

Oh yeah baby...

You will be sure and document that build here on HybridZ, wont you? :wink: As Tony so eloquently put it, it will only be marginal at best, :lmao:

In my mind, an SB2.2 build, especially with a monster displacement 434 cid, would be one of, if not the, penultimate N/A SBC's!!!

We have a local guy who builds 1st gen/SB2.2 hybrids for dirt super late models. They make 850-860 hp.

You can buy used 2.2 heads fairly cheap, but you need custom pistons, custom cam, and the rocker assembly is expensive. Rehabbing the heads is expensive also. The ones I have seen use 2.25 titanium intake valves with 6mm stems, and they have a fairly short lifetime.

John

Oh yeah baby...

You will be sure and document that build here on HybridZ, wont you? :wink: As Tony so eloquently put it, it will only be marginal at best, :lmao:

In my mind, an SB2.2 build, especially with a monster displacement 434 cid, would be one of, if not the, penultimate N/A SBC's!!!

Oh it will be documented all right. I can't be 100% sure that my next motor is destined for a Z car, but whatever it goes in will be a lot of fun.

Looky what I found, Joe Gibbs leftovers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NASCAR-R07-ALUMINUM-CNC-PORTED-CYLINDER-HEADS-SB2-2-SB2_W0QQitemZ130244588679QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130244588679&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318