HybridZ

Nasty hornet/wasp sting

DavyZ

Well prob not the worse but we (and you since you are just down the road) have yellowjackets. They build nests in the ground and can swarm out on a moments notice. Their sting continues to hurt several hours/days afterwards. You won't get just one. I usually find them with my lawnmower.:icon_frow

I HATE yellow jackets and got what I deserved when I was 9 or 10 years old from messing with a hive. Why? Because it was there. Stupid. Two got inside my jacket and repeatedly stung me until I could finally squish them.

Formic acid is the poison (if I recall correctly) that bees and wasps have inside their stingers. As I said, I HATE them. :mad:

Davy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ants are the ones with formic acid, for the most part. Wasps have a nastier chemical (I might have known the name as a 12 year old Lepidopterist, but new information replaces old, especially as I get older = ) The big thing with wasps is, people tend to get more sensitive to the venom with each new exposure to it. My only exposure came from running over a large nest under a bush with a lawnmower. Not a good day. Felt like someone lit me up with an auto air gun from close range.

I have LOTS of exposure to Formic acid, however... I liked to open ant hills and make captive ant farms. The worst part wasn't getting bitten or stung though, it was not being able to sleep because I had this re-occurring nightmare of ants in my bed, meaning I had to get up and sweep the bed out every time I woke up. A nit-picker might see some justice in that, I suppose. = )

Well, when I was age 10 or so, the mighty wasp left his mark on me.

I was just trying to suprise my Dad by cutting the grass before he got home from work. I was almost finished, cutting some grass under a tree.

The wasp got me about 3/4 of an inch below my right eye. OUCH!!!

The result was my eye swollen shut for about a day and a half.

I once kneeled on an underground bee nest to do some work on an outboard.....It tool me a second to figure out what was happening ...by then they were all around me. I ran into he lake taking my pants off as I went....while flaying my arm around. My legs and ass were all bitten and my famility laughed for hours. Thank goodness it wasnt a flock of cicada killers!

The other day I was driving to school with the windows down in my truck.....

My right hand was on my thigh and I begin to feel something. Next thing I know a yellowjacket crammed his stinger into my fingernail and slid along until he rammed it into the quick of my thumbnail. I flung it into the cupholder and crammed a Dairy Queen cup on top of it to restrain it as it had not completely died from my attacks.

It may only be one little yellowjacket, but it freaking hurt more than most any other sting I've had.

OTM

Like all the rest of you, I have plenty of personal sting stories... from tormenting nests on purpose as a kid to accidentally running over a yellow jacket nest with the mower.... BUT, 4 weeks ago a friend of mine was working in his garden, like he did all the time, and somehow was stung by a couple of bees. You think no big deal, but he is highly allergic, so he yelled for his wife and she grabbed the epi-pen and ran out to him to give him the shot. He was already having trouble breathing. She hit him with the shot and after giving him the shot, he did not seem to respond well. She called the ambulance and by the time they got there he was gone. Turns out the epi-pen was expired!

Makes you think.

So my nieghbor and I are doning some minor house work.

Out of the blue while he was aloft he quickly and calmly comes down the ladder. I'm like whats up? He said you need to take care of a problem before I can continue.

Now the house was in about this shape when the problem was noticed.

Dormer196Medium.jpg

Upon inspection I find this lovely gem;

Dormer195Medium.jpg

So my frist thing I do is go grap a stick in order to "poke" it. (actually a ten foot long stick of pvc)

Old nest! THank goodness!

Looks like some kinda hornets nest, not sure.

BTW not all bees have one entrance, some like to build back doors!

A year ago I was cleaning up the side of my house with a skid steer when out flew some bald face black bees. These tend to be very aggesive!

So I exited the skid promptly and made a trip to the local hardware store and bought 4 cans of fix a problem. Got back in the skid, backed it up and then rammed the pile of debris...... held up two cans and let fly! After 4 cans I felt that my act of genicide was complete and contiued my work:).

WHY... WHY.

this thread is a curse.

I'm sitting...patiently waiting for my chicken wings to arrive at my table. I'm checkin out the window and I see a bee.. floatin around... I say to myself "maybe I should move tables".

so as I'm getting up, someone else comes in the restaurant and sits down at the table I was going to move to, so I casually grabbed some napkins and pretended like I didn't get up for any other reason.

So I sit down, and yay! my wings arrive. I take ONE BITE of these "HOT" wings, and I felt a pinch under my bicep. So I quickly dropped the wing, asked for the directions to the washroom... ran down there, and took my shirt off.. only to have the bee land on the ledge of my belt-buckle / jeans, and sting me AGAIN about an inch from my belly button.

Now I'm glad I'm not allergic to bee stings, but it is kind of irritated.

Oh well, I got a hug from the waitress whos cute, and she gave me my chicken wings for free.

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing and a bee sting!

Some time later, some guy walks up to me out of the blue in the Kingsford/Iron Mountain Wal Mart and says "You're Nick's older brother, aren't you? The guy who throws beehives?"

ROMFALOL

Nice to be remembered!

:lmao::lmao::lmao: omg thats the greatest story ever!

WHY... WHY.

this thread is a curse...

...Oh well, I got a hug from the waitress who's cute, and she gave me my chicken wings for free.

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing and a bee sting!

Ha ha! "When one brother suffers, all the brothers suffer." However, we did NOT get the same hug you did :mad: Hopefully, you did get her number... :mrgreen:

Davy

Ha ha! "When one brother suffers, all the brothers suffer." However, we did NOT get the same hug you did :mad: Hopefully, you did get her number... :mrgreen:

Davy

I see her everyday, when the Z's fixed in a week or so, I'll invite her out for ice cream. u know... gotta heal the bites.

:-D

• 3 weeks later...
I just went to take off the bumpers on the 280z and bent over turned my head into the wheel well and stared face to face with a big black spider with a red spot on its back! Went to get spray and now it's gone! Paranoia!

midnight could'a came a couple of hours sooner for you man!

I had similar spiders in the same neck of the woods.

I actually found a Brown Recluse (Hobo Spider) at Shannonville Raceway, hangin' out at the window with venom dripping from it's fangs.

:eek2:

couldn't tell. i know it's black widow that u posted, but i used my propane torch right quick :D

a brown recluse is a little diff. if you get stung by one, if you recover, your muscles will be considered "wastage" and become soggy mucous membranes that do not support whatever bone they are supposed to.

a black widow will just turn ya into an ironing board.

0829082041.jpga%3E

Like this! Crappy phone pic. Took almost half a can of some spider killer until it stopped moving for me to crush it. Then continued spraying as much of the car I could and another, smaller, one fell off the back! Another trip to the store tomorrow to spray the car again, then hose it all off!

All I've been bitten by are a couple dogs, a gopher snake and stung by a few honey bees. Not too shabby for being on this earth 34 years.

The worst that I can remember, I was about 12, my dad, a framer, took me to work one day. I have to admit, he told me not to go in the back yard of the place to which he was adding a front room, but I was the type to get bored easily, and had to explore the new place. I unlatched the gate, took two, I mean two steps in, and around the rear of the house a German Shepard streaks. It was in slow motion, but this thing was on me in two bounds. I raised my right arm and he took it, no questions asked. Chomped me from wrist to elbow, and back down again. I pissed myself, and must have screamed like a little girl, because my dad was there before I hit the ground, grabbing the dog off me.

My Grandpa, on the other hand, is a walking "bite me" pillar. He went bird hunting one year, I think I was about 10, while trying to recover his prey, he reached into a bush where he heard and saw movement. He snapped his hand back, shaking the irritation away, thinking a sharp twig had scratched him, and reached in again. SNAP again. This time, granddad actually LOOKED to where he was sticking his hand and saw a rattler. Got him twice, but thankfully, didn't inject.

Another time, ol' grandpa had to use the facilities while working (construction) in a remote part of Matilaja (mountains around Ojai, CA). The only thing available was an old wood outhouse.

Well, as it has already been described with black widow bites, the bite wasn't THAT bad, but it was on the, er- sack...

My dad went to visit him the 4th day in the hospital, and the story dad reported to me was grandad saying, "LOOK! I came in here for a spider bite and they gave me a bla- [poster's edit -a larger-] guy's [poster's edit - package]!!!!"

Poor grandpa.

Oh, and Black widows can't stand more than 5 good blasts of carb and choke cleaner (Chem B-12, I think).

WD-40 and a lighter work also, and also for yellow jackets/wasps/hornets, but carb/choke cleaner with the straw works a bit better, I have found. There are LOTS of paper wasps around here.

couldn't tell. i know it's black widow that u posted, but i used my propane torch right quick :D

a brown recluse is a little diff. if you get stung by one, if you recover, your muscles will be considered "wastage" and become soggy mucous membranes that do not support whatever bone they are supposed to.

a black widow will just turn ya into an ironing board.

that pic was for joey buy brown recluse are deff somthing to stay away from lol. when i was little a messed with black widdows and didnt know any better, its a wonder i never got bit