HybridZ

Engine Bay Sizes....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey

I was wondering which of the Z cars has the most room under the hood for swaping in an engine... I wanted to get the biggest engine possible in there, so I need to know what'll get me the most room. Thanks alot,

DanRT

Guest Fast Frog

The 1st generation Z cars(240, 260 & 280)have the same engine bay size-about 40" X 40". The ZX series might be a little bit larger. Donno about the 300 series.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I am thinking the single largest engine possible. Anyone know what the biggest engine anyone has droped in is?

DanRT

Guest Fast Frog

So far I think Ron Jones 540ci BB is the biggest. But the biggest engine may not be as big a prob as what you might want to hang off the engine such as a turbo or supercharger setup!

The Chevy big blocks are probably the best choice for maximum cubic inches. The largest displacement possible with a "stock" block is on the order of 540 cubic inches, though the most common production size was 454. Beyond that, you can get a truck block (0.40" taller deck height) or one of the aftermarket blocks. The latter can be bored and stroked out to 800 cubic inches and beyond.

I have a 454 in my '78 Z. Be advised that the big blocks take substantial extra work to fit into a Z. They do fit - but it takes things like notching of the frame to accommodate the exhaust. In my case, the firewall was set back 6.25". I don't know of any big block Z's that have completely stock frame rails and firewall, but there are about a half dozen with those mods.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I'm not really too sure about modifying the frame, and such; I'm good with mechanicals, but not so much with shaping metal. What is the biggest engine that will fit in with relatively minor modifications? I was thinking of putting it in a 240, assuming that is the lightest of the Zs (is it? I recall being told that once....)

As for what to attach to it, I'm still debating between N/A and A blower, but I think I'll stay away from a turbo for now.

Thanks,

DanRT

[ May 23, 2001: Message edited by: Dan ]

Dan, you could drop in a stroked 400 sbc with no mods to the body. Then you are looking at 427 ci or more. That starts to get expensive though. But, if you don't mind then shoot, go with an aluminum Brodix block stroker motor! That'll run...and twist the car a bit!

David

Something to consider - traction! Small block Zs can spin the tires a good LONG ways - a big block would be worse without extensive mods. Take a look at the Darius video - he rolls into it in second or third and lites the tires through at least one gear change. That's not dropping the clutch, that's rolling into the gas! That car is supposed to have like 600hp. Others here have that "problem" too. A decent SBC with NOS or a blower could hit that 600hp fairly easily.

Look into a large cube SBC if you want big cubes with an easy swap (space-wise) but bring your wallet and expect little traction. You looking to tub the car and goto a solid axle?

IMO anything over about 400HP is going to really move. Heck, anything in the 300HP range is going to fly! The car will most likely weigh in the 2500-2800lb range, do the math. I'm shooting for 450hp but I'll go blower or bring a little blue friend if that proves not to be enough of a thrill.

Just remember - more isn't always better. I took a guys money twice in a row once even though he was driving a much higher horsepower car. He simply couldn't hook and hitting the NOS just made it worse for him....

Guest Anonymous

I don't see how the physical size of the engine matters much in this application. If all you want to do is stuff the largest engine possible with a blower, dump a Hemi in it, its pretty damn large, or a 502 Chevy crate or a 600 inch Ford, all of them will require extensive modification to install and are more expensive to build. As Blkmgk says though, expect traction problems unless your tubing it out and running slicks. Perhaps you can share what you want to do with the car, from the sounds of it, I'd say Drag racing. But if you want it to handle, then small block Chevy, Ford or Mopar is probably the best way to go. Use as many aluminum parts as possible. With all due respect to those running huge HP, I think those that think they need 600hp in these light little cars underestimate power to weight ratios and need to take a ride in say a 400-450 hp Z to see just how fast they are, I'm sure it would change your mind considerably. Just a opinion...

Lone

Guest Anonymous

SBC = Small Block Chevy

BBC = BIG Block Checvy

SBF = Small Block Ford

SBM = Small Block Mopar

etc..etc..etc.. I'm sure you get the idea icon_smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by scarp:

Bah get this and stuff it in there.

Nyah. I put that engine in my Z last week and didn't like it. All the polished aluminum and chrome conflicted with my clever "primer and bondo" paint scheme, so I sent it back in favor of an oil-burning 305.

And anyone who believes that...

icon_wink.gif

somebody do a rat powered z please

anyone check out those ram jet 454's and 502's

merlin crate motor??? 540bbc with a blower?

wild cam? youd be a bad bad man.t56 that bad boy and youre the man!!!!!!

anyone out there done a hemi swap??? that would be really nice.