HybridZ

Finished Dash Repair + Autometer Install

SkunkTeeth

I thought about grafting in a gage pod somehow, but the only things I am missing from stock is a voltmeter and clock. The clock is handled by my head unit, and for the voltmeter I got this to replace the fasten seat belt light:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350084717917

I also have aftermarket A/C with the knob on the console, but I am moving it to the cigarette lighter slot with a longer knob I made :)

may I ask what ohm of resistor you used to get the fuel guage to read properly?

VERY nicely done too!

Im still working on that haha, I looked at the write up here and it doesnt seem to be working for me.

Ill be happy to do a dash for someone, but dont expect it done fast. I got this dash and started the restoration around November 07. Not enough time with still going to school and working as a full time engineer.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Im sure you COULD use bondo but I do not think it would be a good idea. For one it might be difficult to fill holes. The good thing for the foam is you just tape it up and then fill it with the expanding foam. I also think the bondo would be too rigid, some flexibility is good.

I really like the write up on www.classiczcars.com !! You did an EXCELLENT job in restoring that dash. Visions of grafting an extra gauge pod or two and then using your method for repair are dancing thru my head at the moment :D

Davy

Don't go giving me ideas I don't need, I already don't have enough time to get things done as it is. :ugg:

The dash turned out awesome. How does the Glove Box door match to the new dash...did you refinish it as well?

Just out of curiousity if you were really serious how much would you want to refurb a dash?

I repainted the glove box door with sem trim black so the color matches great, also painted the rear metal trim piece with the same color.

As for the charge...im not sure because it all depends on the condition of the dash. I would probably log my time and charge an hourly rate. But I do not know how much to charge in that respect because I never logged my time, and it also took a long time as it was my first time doing something like this.

I would obviously keep the cost much lower than having it professionally refinished. If someone wants to try it out with me I would be happy to. But things to remember are I am limited it on time. I can only work on it on weekends so figure a month or more.

I am NOT a fan of removing the stock gauges from the Z; I have a non-rational love of the stock faceplates, so keep that in mind when you hear me say...

THAT is the ABSOLUTE BEST looking dash I have ever seen in an S30 with aftermarket gauges.

You have to think about the fact that you could be pulling in a couple of bills for your pocket with the time it takes to restore these dashboards.. think income, not wasting your time "playing."

Will someone who actually has MONEY to spend on their Z throw a number at him? I am struggling with insurance right now :rolleyesg so its REALLY EASY for me to say "heck, I'd pay $800 for a dash that looked like that!" because I couldn't shell out $50 for a full tank of gas if my mothers life depended on it right now...

I just sprayed my dash tonight with the texture coating after finishing the SEM bumper repair. I'll scuff sand it tomorrow and apply a few coats of the SEM Trim Black.

BTW, If you work with the SEM bumper repair, make sure you DO NOT mix a bunch up at once and use what you mix FAST, because in less then 1 minute it starts to cure :shock:

I just sprayed my dash tonight with the texture coating after finishing the SEM bumper repair. I'll scuff sand it tomorrow and apply a few coats of the SEM Trim Black.

BTW, If you work with the SEM bumper repair, make sure you DO NOT mix a bunch up at once and use what you mix FAST, because in less then 1 minute it starts to cure :shock:

You might want to resand the texture layer....you gotta scuff it when its tacky.