HybridZ

Simple axle questions

deru

O.K. first let me say that yes I have searched and as of right now I think my eyes are bleeding!! I've been turning wrenches for years but am very new to Z cars.

Here we go..

1. I have a 74 260z. (4th month).

2. I have access to a cheap diff from a 83 280zx Turbo Automatic.

Every post I have read relates to changing axles from one diff to another.

First question is can you simply swap the entire setup keeping the 83 axles as well as the rear disc brakes or is one setup longer than the other?

Second question seems a little more fuzzy. I've read alot of posts about what these cars came with and some say that this 83 would have a R200 and some say an R180. Any ideas about a turbo automatic?

First question is can you simply swap the entire setup keeping the 83 axles as well as the rear disc brakes or is one setup longer than the other?

You can swap the entire setup but it isn't simple. You need to continue searching and reading. Also, getting a factory service manual for both vehicles will make things clearer.

I'm pretty sure the 83 turbo is an R200 3.54 rear end. Yes you can swap, but why? You swaping motors to a higher HP?

The axles and such will fit, but you will need to swap even more parts. Part of the brakes will work, but you will need rear brackets of a 81-83 maxima or order custom ones.

Again I ask why? What are your goals?

I'm pretty sure the 83 turbo is an R200 3.54 rear end. Yes you can swap, but why? You swaping motors to a higher HP?

The axles and such will fit, but you will need to swap even more parts. Part of the brakes will work, but you will need rear brackets of a 81-83 maxima or order custom ones.

Again I ask why? What are your goals?

It's a V8 car now

Since I guess the whole setup is not a bolt in fit I just need to use an R200 without the rest of the zx stuff.

As I recall, when I swapped in an R200/drive axles, from a 280ZX, into my 1970 Z, the right side drive axle had to be shortened approximately 0.50", otherwise a binding situation would occur when the drive axle was perpendicular to the diff. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom