HybridZ

87 300ZX motor swap capabilities?

nospl2

Will there be a lot of custom work necessary in order to get the VG30DETT into my 87 300zx, or would the Naturally Aspirated motor fit much better? If the 90-96 motor wont go into my 87 300zx without a lot of custom work what would those modifications be, in a general list??? I repost this because i keep getting answers in the wrong forums that aren't detailed enough.

Thanks

• Administrators

1) If you are at all familiar with VG30DE and TT version, you will know they are very similar physically on the exterior, aside from the turbos obviously. So by default, the TT version will add more complexity to the conversion due to the Turbos, intake and exhaust plumbing, intercoolers, etc…

2) As for the list of mods to install the engine? Totally depends on your budget, fabrication and skill set, and how “custom” or “OE” you want the conversion to appear AND perform. Sorry, but there is no realistic blanket answer for your initial question.

You need to give us a LOT more specifics before we can offer any sort of realistic answer. For example, some people don’t mind a totally hacked bubba conversion, others prefer their conversions to be as OE appearing and driving as possible, while others prefer nothing short of show and race quality. Budget, fab skills and available resources to perform the conversion all are part of the equation.

One thing that I can't seem to find a for sure answer on is whether or not the VG30DE(TT) will bolt right into a Z31. I've heard that the motor mounts are the same and then it's just minor fabrication/alterations to fit the piping and everything, but are the mounts the same between the VG30E(T) and the VG30DE(TT)? I've done searches, and usually come up with people saying do the VG30DET swap vs. the TT, but I can't seem to get a clear answer on the mounts.

• 1 month later...

There is no point to doing the swap. You could build a vg30 or 33e to handle more power than you will ever be able to give it for the price of dropping in a tt motor and then you have to mod it which will cost you twice as much. That and if you have to ask you probably shouldn't be taking on the project.

you can swap it in if you want, but there are alot better motors that can be built really nice for the price of the vg30dett alone. get a good 87+ vg30e block and heads and have a machine shop build you a nice boosted 350HP motor. shouldnt cost more then a few g's and you would have a decent car.

might i add that working on any VG is a bitch. even in the car they came in! I can't see why you would go with the VG30DE anyways... as stated, the VG30E is strong enough, the heads are easy as piss to clean up around the valve seats and guides if you're willing to go that far (ports are large and easy to fit tools into), and working on the motor as it came in the 87 is already hard enough, believe me!

Don't bother putting a DE in there. I'd put an SR20 in there before a TT.

Nissan FSM:

"to facilitate engine head removal, remove engine"

:(

might i add that working on any VG is a bitch. even in the car they came in! I can't see why you would go with the VG30DE anyways... as stated, the VG30E is strong enough, the heads are easy as piss to clean up around the valve seats and guides if you're willing to go that far (ports are large and easy to fit tools into), and working on the motor as it came in the 87 is already hard enough, believe me!

Don't bother putting a DE in there. I'd put an SR20 in there before a TT.

Nissan FSM:

:(

...the Z32 FSM has relatively decent instructions on head removal that *doesn't* involve removal of the engine. :weird:

...the Z32 FSM has relatively decent instructions on head removal that *doesn't* involve removal of the engine. :weird:
yeah, but most of the time its just easier, especially if you plan on replacing seals, oil pumps.......etc that and when it comes time for head studs then you really have to pull the whole motor out.

yeah, but most of the time its just easier, especially if you plan on replacing seals, oil pumps.......etc that and when it comes time for head studs then you really have to pull the whole motor out.

No objection there, but you don't think it's the least bit disingenuous to quote a Nissan FSM that says no such thing?

No objection there, but you don't think it's the least bit disingenuous to quote a Nissan FSM that says no such thing?

yeah, but about 99% of the time even if you request that they dont pull the motor, they are going to get frustrated and pull it. theres no point of arguing what the FSM and what is actually involved.

Sorry for being "disingenous", but I'm actually more mistaken in regards to where I saw that written. And to correct myself, I will revise my quote:

Haynes Manual:

Clearly stated in the Haynes manual, also shown with pictures of the full engine on an engine stand. Written and illustrated by people who took apart a NEW Nissan Z. I can tell you from first hand experience that if I were to do the heads or anything on my Z31 again, I'm pulling the engine completely.

Lets recall the definition of the word "facilitate". It's not a necessity by any means.

the turbos will need to be rebuilt before you would ever need to pull the heads/ replace the oil pump. Just stick with the vg30e, I got sick of pulling my friends vg30dett all the time. Sure it was mostly a drag car but it was still a pain in the ass.

the turbos will need to be rebuilt before you would ever need to pull the heads/ replace the oil pump. Just stick with the vg30e, I got sick of pulling my friends vg30dett all the time. Sure it was mostly a drag car but it was still a pain in the ass.

i pulled the heads so i could get at the broken studs in the manifold stud holes. i'm not replacing the oil pump right now because I don't have the time/money... but I'll do that when I gotta replace the steering rack. maybe spring.

hopefully that doesnt bite me in the ass :( like everything else does!

• 2 weeks later...