HybridZ

MSD Ignition MegaSquirt Wiring

mobythevan

as in the MSnS Extra Ignition Manual. You need to change your dwell from the 3 settings (cranking, running, minimum)when using a single coil, to a fixed dwell at 50% when using the MSD 6A

I did this today and the car revs, and pulls hard at 20lbs of boost.

this is single coil

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#singlecoil

this is msns1 v3.0 with MSD

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#msdout

it looks like you must change your dwell settings!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

hey guys, i must be really dumb not to be able to figure this out, but... i just can't figure out how to wire this thing up.

87' 300zx Turbo:

MSq-II v3.0

I mean, i could build the darn thing, but i just dont know what wires to connect where...

thanks for any help you feel like handing out

(I used the search ALOT!)

just doesnt seem to click for me.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There is another way to wire MSD6 - which I have been running for a couple of years now - that may appeal to people who are not using a ZX distributor. I recently tried, unsuccessfully, to trigger MS (Ver: 3.57; Code: 3.2.1) directly from the VR sensor on a 280Z distributor (non-ignitor/HEI). Didn't work.

Instead of having MS drive the MSD box - as in the schematics above - you can (conceptually speaking) put the MSD in front of MS and trigger MS using the tach out.

The tach out on MSD6 is a 12V square wave. You wire the MSD box for a typical VR installation: Green and Violet wires to VR sensor; White wire is not used; Heavy Black and Red wires to ground and battery, respectively; Light gauge Red wire to 12V switched; Medium gauge Black and Orange to coil negative and positive, respectively. The tach out goes to Pin 24 (DB37).

Viola.

I have wired my MSD system twice using this configuration and it works very well.

• 1 year later...