HybridZ

is the stock waste gate adjustable? on my 300zx

Guest 300zxking

Guest 300zxking

i found my waste gate on my 88 300zx but im not entirly sure if it is adjustable.......does any one know and if it is .....how do i adjust it to make it blow off louder or hiss louder upon deceleration? if it isent......what does an after market on that does hiss very loud generaly cost and whear will i find one???? what is a good brand>?.....

thanks and sorry this is my first negative induction engine and im just trying to learn right....thanks for any help

deake

Guest Jenna86

btw. the stock intrigal waste gate is not adjustable by itself. It woun't get you any strange sounds, but if you're looking for more power a manual boost controller (with suporting mods. of course) would be a place to start.

I dont know if the 300's had a bov but Id reaffirm which one.

The Z31 never cam with a factory BOV. It did come with a POV however.

If you add a BOV, make sure you recirculate the BOV otherwise you will run rich everytime the BOV is actuated. Or you can run a blow through setup.

Guest 300zxking

ok if ther isent one.....im concerned with the fact that it DOES hiss like a mo fo already right whean a bov should.....? mabe i baught it with after market parts i dident know of???? and the tech at the nissan dealer ship showd me it later that day after i posted this original thread......it sits in the rear top left side of my engine {next to the manifold} and whean i accelerate and then release the gas pedel it definatly has a turbo hiss....the engine sounds incredible, i baught it for 700 dollors of a mexican guy.....and its just imaculant all the way around low rust, clean clean engine, no valve chater , the turbo winds up and releases well....mabe its that p.o.v. ??? that yall were talkin about??? i only posted this cause i wanted top make it louder....:icon54:....i dunno....so i guess does any one know of a company that makes an aftermarket p.o.v. ??? and what does p.o.v. mean?????

p.s. yes i did have waste gate and blow off valve confused

thanks for all the help guys keep the info comeing

Guest 300zxking

hey man.....the turbo does blow off .....i can hear it loud already i just wanted it louder thats why i posted this.....the tech at nissan in colorado showed me the blow off valve.......{next to the intake manifold on the rear left side.} yeah the turbo winds up and whean i drop off of the throtle it definatly has a sexy hissing sound.....so if it is a p.o.v............. whear do i get an after market one??? and what does p.o.v. stand for?

Wow, spelling and punctuation count. A POV is a pop off valve. It is just a safety just in case the wastegate fails or sticks.

The BOV should not be mounted on the intake manifold. It should be mounted before the throttle body preferrably within 6 inches of the throttle body.

The BOV should not hiss when you are accelerating, that indicates a boost leak. If it hisses while under boost, you are spinning the turbo faster than it was designed to spin.

The factory POV is located on the intake plenum on the passenger front part of the intake plenum.

Guest 300zxking

ok i see,that is odd. and no it dosent hiss upon acceleration...it hisses upon deceleration....like if i wind it up real fast then drop off the throttle, it hisses when the car decelerates, just loud enugh to be noticable, and ok so your saying mabe it has to much boost running to it? thats why the pop off valve is makeing this sound? see i swear the guy at nissan showed me the bov?!?!? mabe the guy was not right in the head or dident know what he was talkin about? either way does this mean ill be needing to replace my turbo? {wich i need to do any way}?:icon54:

I did not see a BOV in that video. I did see the POV, and I did hear the mechanical fan. It sounds like the fan clutch was not torqued properly. Then again, you may want to move a little slower so we can see everything.

If what you are talking about is the BOV, it is not mounted in the correct place at all.

Guest 300zxking

ok i tried to go alot slower in this video but it still is kinda sketchy cause its on a camera phone, just let me know if its what i think it is.....the only thing is you said it would be before my t.b. yet if what im finding is it then its after the t.b. ?? dunno

either embed this:

or go to

www.youtube.com/280zxking

and look for a video titeld wich one is my pov or bov....ect

thanks again!

LOL, the first part is the EGR control solenoid. The second part is the boost sensor line, the boost sensor is the part on the drivers inner fender that the vacuum line is connected to. The third part is the AICV, it is basically the part that keeps a steady idle.

Lemme see if I can find a picture of a POV still on a stock vg30et. Ok I found one, but the intake has been modified a little. But the POV is still mocated where they are supposed to be from the factory. The POV is circled in this picture.

z31-tbr.jpg

I didnt see a BOV, so you probably dont have one. You can install one as stated before.

Guest 300zxking

ok now i feel realy frekin stupid...hehhehe i know all about my old s-10 and my 240sx and the eclips and montero and such that iv had but i am so in the dark with a turbo!!!!ok now i see and it makes perfect sense...!!!

great so i will look in to a aftermarket bov and i will see whats up with this pov....hahaha what an idiot that guy at nissan was...scares me that that guy it working on NEW altimas and 350z's hahahaha ah-mazeing!

dewd you are the ♥♥♥♥ man and very patient thank you!!! ok so now i know that let me ask you this question.......why in that picture is that guys intake comeing off the opposit side of the engine as mine?!?!?!? mine runs right and if your looking at the engine head on and his runs left???? i know you said it was slightly modifyd but wow did he reverse the direction of that manifold intake to???? {if so...hmmmm i wonder what thatl cost me???} hahahaha man i cant wait to start dumping moneyu in to this thing thanls a bunch fella!

Guest 300zxking

dewd i just went out and looked at mine and started playing with it!!!! youll never belive.....it came off by hand??!?!! amzing the guy that owned this before me obviously dident know how to tighted things....i tourqed it down a lil bit.;....im thinking the reason shes been hissing upon deceleration is because that POV was loose!!! wow happy i fixed it hahaha i hope that makes her a bit quicker.....it had to be leaking air dramaticly with how loose it was...im gona take her on a test run soon....and you know the more i think about it...it kinda has been hissing the whole time when i accelerat hard...{if i put it to the floor} but not when i just kinda cruize....odd....well i found a replacement bov that check point raceing said will fit right wher the pov is located......for 175.00$ or they have a better one for 300 bucks.......im gona go with the low grade one for now i think ....thanks for all the help again....

Guest 300zxking

well good and bad news....the car dosent hiss upon acceleratuion.......but it does hiss upon decelleration...still mabe even a bit louder.....i dunno mabe the pov is shot? either way i have a new problem......i took off my a/c compressor and hoses to make less drag on the engine....now its makeing a almost grinding yet knocking sound when it idles but it dosent increas when i bring the rpms up, iv done this to every car iv owned includeing my 280zx.......and this never hapend.......it almost sounds like a pully.....mabe the crank pully is unbalanced beacause of not haveing tension pulling to the right ????? and that sucks i did this to make less drag on the engine......and such......damn now i feel guilty for hurting my z......or mabe its a coincidence and one of the pullys is going out and just happend to start makeing noise right after i took the ac off????? the only other thing i can think is mabe a valve chater....but it dosent sound like that as far as i can tell....♥♥♥♥......i mean it shouldent hurt takeing the ac out right? let me know....damnit......this sucks....she ran so quiet and clean to now iv got this grinding noise......i9 shouldent have taken all that off........but it never hurt ANY of my other cars....helped them run better if anything.....especialy my 280zx.........and my chevy s-10....if it is the crank pully makeing the sound due to uneven tension is it possible that it could just be bad i mean this dosent make any sense to me......never happend before why now?

• 2 weeks later...