HybridZ

*New* Z project!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome build man! I have a small question... What do you use to paint the chrome trim pieces? Rattle can flat black?

Yup. SEM or Transtar black trim rattlecan spray paint, can't remember which. Both brands are top quality and hold up on the surfaces reliably... provided you prep them correctly of course. Even the flat black bonnet is painted with the same stuff, and it went down evenly enough that it's hard to tell unless you're looking for it.

Edited by Oddmanout84

• 1 month later...

322.jpg

So... not much has happened over the last year, and not much has been posted. There were a lot of reasons; money, life, Mass Effect 3, engagement... but mostly loss of interest. I got frustrated with how slowly things were progressing, how much extra was needed to get the car to go in the direction that I wanted. Because I can't sit still, I started a ton of new projects around the car while the engine was out/cold. These projects took a longer time than expected, and eventually overran the time that was allotted for the engine. I overwhelmed myself, and it all became too much. I still had no intention to sell it all away, but I needed to step back and take a break.

So after this year of **** and driving my wheezy little putt-putt (Mazda 3), I'm back. I'm dividing my time a little more strictly now, but because of what was going on last year, I still have a lot of projects to finish besides the engine.

The rear fenders still need the final stitching up, the gas tank still needs to get finished, the dash and interior still need fixing. And jesus christ, that f**king engine.

317.jpg

The dash is shaping up nicely. It was covered in 40 years worth of dirt and mouse ****, and cracked to hell.

318.jpg

I separated the metal frame from the foam and vinyl and got to work. First, the mounting for my Z is slightly different so I had to cut and weld in a new angled plate for the steering column area. Test fitting after test fitting ensued. A lot of it.

325.jpg

Gauges temp installed and look ok.

337.jpg

Glassed up the back of the vinyl to close up and hopefully prevent more cracks from forming. Then I foamed it up. Great stuff is awesome, but I still hate it.

341.jpg

342.jpg

Also made some better provisions for the three center gauges. They will now mount directly to the dash itself rather than in modded Z gauge housings.

007-9.jpg

Maybe something devious here.

327-1.jpg

The seat got a test fit too. I swapped in various thicknesses and angles of wooden boards laying around the garage to get a fit that was both comfortable and didn't prevent the door from closing. Still need to fab those rails up out of metal.

326.jpg

Also went through the b*tch and a half job of getting these somewhat hard to find Momo's onto my pedals. It should have been simple, but it wasn't. Beyond the brake and clutch, the dead pedal needed a better backing plate so I had to fab one up and weld it to the old one in the tightest spot ever. The accelerator pedal has an angle to it that DOES NOT LIKE to work with aftermarket pedals. Drilling holes in it was a b*tch, because I also needed to account for the angle and position of the pedal f**king with the floor and carpet. In the end, I still had to remove a ton of that obnoxious ass "joot" padding under the carpet so the pedal wouldn't bind up.

333.jpg

336.jpg

That stupid little gas cap still needs to get welded in, but not before I fix the weird angle of the spout running to the tank and get it at least close to the stock angle.

316.jpg

315.jpg

Still need to find a f**king fan and shroud that will fit this tight ass sandwich mess, while still pushing enough air.

328.jpg

320.jpg

321-1.jpg

The engine is just about 100% plumbed, but it still needs an exhaust downpipe and intake tubing completed for it to breathe. Still trying to decide what route to take with that.

330.jpg

329.jpg

Oil cooler is tapped in with a ridiculous amount of braided line to get the angles to work.

331.jpg

332.jpg

Stupid gas tank. It's a spare, but it's going to be my main once I weld the sump on and line it with POR-15. For now, I'm still just trying to clean out decades of varnish and gasoline residue just so it doesn't explode in my face when I weld.

And that leaves us with supersecret project Dirtf**k. I have this lovely little can of carb cleaner. Used parts from the 70's go into it, then they come out practically looking like they've never been used. But that's not really supersecret, is it?

338.jpg

339.jpg

340.jpg

Pistons go in two by two...

001-19.jpg

002-18.jpg

003-18.jpg

005-8.jpg

006-9.jpg

008-5.jpg

Maybe some day the truth will be revealed.

• 3 years later...

Wow. It's been some time. Long hiatus, time to get back into it.

Turbo motor is being canned (for now) and work continues on the NA Mikuni project (aka Project DF). Not fully decided on which head I'm using (N42 vs. P90 thread), but at this point I think I'm leaning P90.

Specs:

-Rebuilt L28 N42 Block, 280zx flat top pistons (STD)

-P90 head, swapped valve train & cam from 280z N47 (working, may change)

-Triple Mikuni 40phh on Mikuni short-runner manifold, small ~1 1/4" velocity stacks

-Hooker "Super-Comp" header

-2.5" Thrush resonator

-Ansa glass-pack tips

-280zx NA distributor (no recurve yet, running vacuum advance w/carbs)

Essentially, a build using the parts I have on hand as much as possible. Just need to purchase pipes to fabricate and assemble the exhaust.

Pics later, maybe. This build won't be a monster, but it will hopefully run in time for a move.